LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 283 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2021 MLB Draft Thread (Pre-Draft Discussion)

Offline  Re: 2021 MLB Draft Thread
Posted: July 10, 2021, 8:48 AM Post
Global Moderator
Ford is my guy as well, which almost certainly means he won’t be the pick.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 10, 2021, 11:24 AM Post
I agree on Ford, Hoglund, and Bednar. Any of those three, and I’d be happy.

Montgomery is an interesting athlete but I can’t handle low hit tools this high in the draft. This kind of profile tends to underachieve based on our drafting history.

I made my opinion on Wicks clear, but if we do happen to take him, I will hope for the Cole Hamels outcome as someone mentioned. I really don’t think we are going to take him, though.

Maybe a top tier guy drops to us, though, as Mitchell and Turang did. If we are on the lookout for that type of profile, it might be somebody toolsy who aren’t anticipating as much.

If we are quietly eyeing Colson Montgomery, a left handed hitting 3b prospect, that would be exciting. I initially was thinking 33 with him, but he’s been steadily rising and both Chicago teams seem to be eyeing him.

PS I like the Xavier Warren at 3b idea.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 10, 2021, 11:36 AM Post
I haven't been following the draft this year, but is this considered an especially deep class? Seems like a lot of great prospects that will be around even at #15.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 10, 2021, 12:13 PM Post
If college pitching drops like some have suggested, might Ty Madden be the guy who is unexpectedly still on the board?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 10, 2021, 1:48 PM Post
Global Moderator
CheeseheadInQC said:
If college pitching drops like some have suggested, might Ty Madden be the guy who is unexpectedly still on the board?

I think he’ll be there when they pick, but Ty Madden scares me a bit. Baseball America had a good explanation for why he would’ve been a top five pick in the draft a decade ago, but teams are a little more cautious of his type of profile now. Madden is 6’3” and has top-tier velocity, with an ability to sink his fastball and attack hitters with a plus slider and above-average control.

They point out that he’s not what teams are looking for now because while his velocity is excellent, they said “it doesn’t play nearly as well up in the strike zone as it does when he drives it down in the zone.”

They also mentioned his induced vertical break on his fastball plays differently because of his arm slot. They said “Madden has an over-the-top delivery, with some spine tilt that further emphasizes his nearly 12 o’clock release point.”

I hope they go a different direction with the first pick.

The high school hitters that seem like real wild cards are Ford along with both Montgomery’s (Benny and Colson). I think one of those three ends up going in the top ten, and the other two might end up somewhere in the 11-20 range. The Reds draft two picks behind the Brewers and have the 4th biggest bonus pool in the draft so I also wouldn’t be shocked if they ended up with one of those three.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 10, 2021, 7:21 PM Post
narwhalattack said:
Another guy I kinda like is Benny Montgomery since I'm a sucker for loud tools. However, his 45 hit tool that I see on most scouting reports gives me pause. IIRC there's been waaay too many guys who were phenomenal athletes who just couldn't hit enough to get anywhere.

This is exactly the profile we need to avoid. Without the ability to hit it doesn't matter how athletic you are.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 10, 2021, 9:19 PM Post
I still think the Brewers will go college in the first round with Ford as the one possibility of a high schooler. I could see them seeing who falls or cutting a deal with one of the college players that people believe are going to go in the fifteen or so picks after them to be able to save some money for some high school pitching later. It also would not surprise me to see them go Jaden Hill at #33.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 10, 2021, 9:36 PM Post
Thoughts on Cowser?

Last edited by KCBrewerfan34 on July 10, 2021, 9:38 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 10, 2021, 9:37 PM Post
I'm hoping we can get Binelas with our 2nd round pick. Was a projected top 10 pick prior to the college baseball season but dropped after just an ok year (but not terrible at all). Local kid who plays a position of need too.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  2021 MLB draft thread
Posted: July 11, 2021, 6:26 AM Post
This is fun guessing who the brewers will draft {my guess is Ford}, but the baseball draft is different than other drafts. There are going to be teams taking cheaper players earlier, and some of the players we think are going to be gone are still going to be there. This draft is above average for the second and third rounds .Players like Mayer, Davies and Leiter will be gone ,but maybe someone on next level will be there like Madden, Frelick or Jobe. One of the writers from BA thought that several teams would use that strategy. What do you think.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 11, 2021, 6:41 AM Post
If we select Ford, I hope it's as a 2B/3B. No need to ruin his speed, get him beat up, lengthen his time in the minors, and reduce his at bats per year by catching.

Charlie Green has continually turned cast offs into quality catchers. The Brewers need to start talking advantage of this by stop flushing high picks on catchers. That would allow more pucks on infielders.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2021 MLB Draft Thread (Pre-Draft Discussion)
Posted: July 11, 2021, 6:46 AM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
One would think putting more pucks on infielders would lead to developing MORE catchers…or at least goaltenders.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 11, 2021, 7:04 AM Post
Global Moderator
Never Outhustled said:
If we select Ford, I hope it's as a 2B/3B. No need to ruin his speed, get him beat up, lengthen his time in the minors, and reduce his at bats per year by catching.

I’ve heard it mentioned that Ford is also a candidate to move to centerfield which is a pretty unique skill set for someone that currently plays catcher.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 11, 2021, 8:26 AM Post
Global Moderator
Wouldn't be surprised at all if any of the pitchers mentioned here end up getting picked by the Brewers...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/statistical ... e-rough-2/

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 11, 2021, 8:27 AM Post
Global Moderator
FanGraphs Mock Draft 3.0 - Final version

15. Milwaukee Brewers
Pick: Gunnar Hoglund, RHP, Ole Miss

The Brewers have been focused on college arms, especially Hoglund and, less strongly, Kasnas State left-hander Jordan Wicks. Hoglund could go anywhere in the 11-20 range, depending on how teams view his medical following recent Tommy John surgery. Prior to the elbow going pop, he was seen as going somewhere between five and 10, so this really isn’t much of a fall for him. If they’re not thrilled will the remaining college arms, the Brewers could downshift to a cost-savings strategy that revolves around some of the high-performing college bats, beginning with Wright State infielder Tyler Black. The Black rumor was passed around a lot on Saturday. That would be for under-slot, but there’s lots of action on Black between here and the mid-20s.

33. Milwaukee Brewers
Pick: Ryan Cusick, RHP, Wake Forest

Cusick has big stuff, but not everyone is convinced he can remain a starter long-term.

At the end of this mock draft they linked other non-mocked players to teams and it includes mentioning Peyton Wilson, 2B, Alabama for the Brewers.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 11, 2021, 8:30 AM Post
Happy draft day everyone. Let's have a great night and Go Bucks!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 11, 2021, 8:50 AM Post
Global Moderator
Final MLB Pipeline Mock Draft

15. Brewers
Callis: Colton Cowser, OF, Sam Houston

The Brewers are looking at many of the same players as the Giants, along with Hoglund and Ford.

Mayo: Jordan Wicks, LHP, Kansas State
This is a spot where injured Ole Miss starter Gunnar Hoglund could come into play, but the nod goes to Wicks, the top college lefty in the class.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 11, 2021, 8:52 AM Post
Global Moderator
KCBrewerfan34 said:
Thoughts on Cowser?

If Cowser is available at #15 I think he’d be one of my favorite possibilities for the Brewers. My gut is that he’ll go before the Brewers first selection.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 11, 2021, 9:19 AM Post
If I had to go with my gut feeling, I’d say that we’re gonna end up with Cowser

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 11, 2021, 9:28 AM Post
narwhalattack said:
If I had to go with my gut feeling, I’d say that we’re gonna end up with Cowser

Cowser seems to have very similar body frame, measurables and offensive profile to Garrett Mitchell, albeit with more power. Appears that Mitchell is more of a natural centerfielder, though, while Cowser is decent enough out there, but may not stick long-term. Cowser also apparently has the ability to play 3B, which is interesting.

He really does seem like the type of player the Brewers would draft if given the opportunity. Very athletic dude with an elite bat.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 283 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test