LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 65 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2021 MLB Draft Thread

Offline  Re: 2021 MLB Draft Thread

Posted: December 08, 2020, 11:47 AM Post
wibadgers23 said:
The Brewers were awarded a comp A pick and will have the 32nd pick in the 2021 draft.

At least until they deal it. That pick may not last the week LOL.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2020, 11:53 AM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
wibadgers23 said:
The Brewers were awarded a comp A pick and will have the 32nd pick in the 2021 draft.

Time to deal the pick for another middling reliever with an 85 mph fastball [laughing]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2020, 1:30 PM Post
hopefully they don't waste it by trading it away. they are 0-2 on this.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2020, 2:34 PM Post
Global Moderator
patrickgpe said:
hopefully they don't waste it by trading it away. they are 0-2 on this.

Personally, I hope they keep the pick and take a chance at a higher ceiling player, but Claudio did have positive bWAR both of the last two years (0.6 and 0.1), which is probably more than the average B level comp pick. And Narvaez's return isn't finished yet. I'm still betting his goes positive next year.

But given this is practically a 1st round pick, they should hang onto the pick.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2020, 2:56 PM Post
Global Moderator
wibadgers23 said:

It could change slightly. If a player turns down the qualifying offer from a team that receives revenue sharing and then signs for >$50 million the team that lost the player will receive a pick at the end of the first round. So for instance if Trevor Bauer signs with anyone other than the Reds for a total compensation package exceeding $50 million (highly likely) then the Reds would get the #30 overall pick in next year's draft which would bump the Brewers down a spot.

Below is what the draft order currently looks like.

First Round:

1. Pittsburgh Pirates
2. Texas Rangers
3. Detroit Tigers
4. Boston Red Sox
5. Baltimore Orioles
6. Arizona Diamondbacks
7. Kansas City Royals
8. Colorado Rockies
9. Los Angeles Angels
10. New York Mets
11. Washington Nationals
12. Seattle Mariners
13. Philadelphia Phillies
14. San Francisco Giants
15. Milwaukee Brewers
16. Miami Marlins
17. Cincinnati Reds
18. St. Louis Cardinals
19. Toronto Blue Jays
20. New York Yankees
21. Chicago Cubs
22. Chicago White Sox
23. Cleveland Indians
24. Atlanta Braves
25. Oakland Athletics
26. Minnesota Twins
27. San Diego Padres
28. Tampa Bay Rays
29. Los Angeles Dodgers

**Compensation picks for qualifying offer free agents that signs with new club for over $50 million and previously played on club receiving revenue sharing.

First Supplemental Round (in between first and second rounds):
Marlins
Tigers
Brewers
Rays
Reds
Twins

Second Supplemental Round (in between second and third rounds):
Pirates
Orioles
Royals
D-backs
Rockies
Indians
Cardinals
Padres

The Astros will make their first pick in the third round.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2020, 3:01 PM Post
Global Moderator
wibadgers23 said:

I hope they keep it, but the trade value of that pick likely exceeds the trade value of any prospect they have outside of maybe their top 5 or so currently in the farm system.

Last year's #33 overall pick had a slot value of $2.202 million, so beyond the value of picking at that spot is the fact a team could use part of the money allocated to the pick (plus an overage of up to 5%) to leverage draft prospects to fall to their other picks. It's a strategy that carries risk, but one that some teams have successfully deployed in the past.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2020, 3:22 PM Post
Global Moderator
I thought Bauer was going to keep signing year-to-year contracts. So that should put him below $50m if that happens.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2020, 3:24 PM Post
Global Moderator
madbad2000 said:
I thought Bauer was going to keep signing year-to-year contracts. So that should put him below $50m if that happens.

He has since walked that back to the point I will be shocked if he signs a one year deal.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2020, 5:08 PM Post
I hope we keep the pick and go to a youth movement. We can have a mini rebuild while remaining competitive. You have a core of Yelich, Hiura, Woody, Burnes and Williams and hopefully build around them with younger talent.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2020, 5:11 PM Post
Global Moderator
According to the MLB Trade Rumors article on this subject these comp picks can only be traded during the regular season? That’s the first I’ve seen that reported, it obviously hasn’t been the case in the past. It would obviously increase the likelihood that the pick remains with the Brewers.

From the article:

These draft choices can be traded, which means the order listed above isn’t necessarily set. However, these picks can only change hands during the regular season, and they can do so just once.

I’ll remain slightly skeptical until I see that change more widely reported.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 08, 2020, 8:30 PM Post
narwhalattack said:
wibadgers23 said:

Time to deal the pick for another middling reliever with an 85 mph fastball [laughing]

I'd make the prediction that they'd trade the pick for Brent Suter but they already have Brent Suter.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 15, 2020, 7:03 AM Post
Global Moderator
MLB Pipeline recently released their Top 100 Draft prospects for '21

For those that want to skip straight to the list of their top 100 draft prospects here’s the Link

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 15, 2020, 10:37 AM Post
Drafting at 15, 32, and 50 could/should be a nice shot in the arm with an influx of talent, I sure hope they keep that pick.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 15, 2020, 3:24 PM Post
Really hoping 3B Alex Binelas is still around when we pick at #15. I also hope they keep their comp pick!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 15, 2020, 7:18 PM Post
I know I know another OF but James Wood's scouting report sounds a lot like what the Brewers have been drafting lately.

Jordan Wicks is another who I think will be at the top of the Brewers draft board. Maybe the Brewers will get lucky again and have someone drop to them again. I doubt Alex Binelas will drop but that would be the best case scenario if he does.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 04, 2021, 2:32 PM Post
Global Moderator
Baseball America did their first full 1st round MLB Mock Draft

For this mock draft they used scouts and "industry insiders" to make selections in a draft format.

They have the Brewers taking high school shortstop Brady House (from Winder-Barrow HS in Georgia).

Included in the explanation is the following: Our scout stops a bit of a slide for House, who entered the summer as the top-ranked prep player in the class but wasn’t quite as dominant offensively over the showcase circuit as teams would have liked. He still has a chance to have plus hitting ability and power and those are first-round tools regardless of where he best fits defensively in the future.

They also go on to point out that the Brewers haven't been hesitant to take players sliding down the draft board in recent years (i.e. Turang, Mitchell).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 08, 2021, 7:26 PM Post
House is very similar to Turang in that he was very highly thought of during his junior year and is fading a little in scouts' eyes.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 08, 2021, 7:56 PM Post
I certainly wouldn’t mind House. From what I’ve read about him, he’s got a big arm and potential for power. Perhaps we could move him to 3B.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 15, 2021, 9:42 AM Post
Austin Tatious said:
I hope we keep the pick and go to a youth movement. We can have a mini rebuild while remaining competitive. You have a core of Yelich, Hiura, Woody, Burnes and Williams and hopefully build around them with younger talent.

Exactly, we need to reload the system with young talent and grow them. #15, #32, and #50 is a great opportunity to continue to shot the system back in the arm. Think the combination of the core you mentioned, CC's coaching that seems to usually get more out of a team than people expect, and Stearns little moves such as waiver pick ups will keep team at least competitive and watchable. Don't think we need a fire sale rebuild but there are pieces and cost that could be moved to get our system strong. We need to get back to a place where we have talent coming up and producing and having options to trade for pieces when needed. Right now, we don't really have either option. Brewers have little money to spend, limited minor league trade bait that won't cripple system, and lack of impact players knocking on door. Tough to sustain success living like that in baseball.

I think the recent drafts and international signings are starting to build some promising talent. Don't be throwing away picks. We need every lottery ticket we can get!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 27, 2021, 3:07 PM Post
narwhalattack said:
I certainly wouldn’t mind House. From what I’ve read about him, he’s got a big arm and potential for power. Perhaps we could move him to 3B.

Since we probably won't be able to get Binelas... OMG yes I want House.

A high school shortstop, House is a fringy to average runner who almost certainly will move to third base in pro ball. The Tennessee recruit should be at least a solid defender at the hot corner and possesses a plus arm that can pump fastballs up to 96 mph off the mound. Scouts compare him to a more athletic version of Joey Gallo or 2018 Cardinals first-rounder Nolan Gorman.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 65 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test