2021 MLB Draft Thread

Offline  Re: 2021 MLB Draft Thread

Posted: January 28, 2021, 8:21 PM Post
Global Moderator
Prospects Live Mock Draft 2.0

For the Brewers at #15...

Eric Cerantola
RHP, Mississippi State

Milwaukee and data go hand-in-hand, and Cerantola would be an excellent fit in their rebuilding of the farm system. The reports on Cerantola this fall have been amazing, with a fastball touching 98 MPH and the hammer curveball in the low-80's reaching spin rates near 3,300rpms. He's also got a change-up that flashes plus, providing potentially the loudest arsenal in the 2021 class if it all clicks. Cerantola has struggled with control and command during his Mississippi State career, but if that takes a step forward in the spring, he's destined to go early.

Also, Baseball America released their 2021 MLB Draft Stock Watch For The Top 30 Prospects. It isn’t a Mock Draft, but it has a write-up on their top 30 draft prospects for this year. The previously mentioned Cerantola didn’t make their top 30 list.

Here is the prospect that they listed at #15:

Richard Fitts
RHP, Auburn

Areas To Improve:
Maintain stuff in starter’s role, improve control, develop changeup, start full season

One of the biggest risers from the fall, Fitts wowed evaluators with a big-time fastball, plus slider and—like many Auburn arms—a changeup with split action. If he can maintain the stuff he showed last fall in a starter’s role this spring, he should be off the board within the first 20 picks. Improving his command and making strides with his changeup would also help him answer starter/reliever questions, and with just six collegiate starts on his resume, starting a full season will be key.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 05, 2021, 4:18 PM Post
Global Moderator
The most important part of today’s Bauer signing is the Brewers Comp Round A selection gets bumped down a spot to #33. Reds receive the #30 selection.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 19, 2021, 3:39 PM Post
WOAAAAAAAH SOLVD at 1B but when can we draft him?

https://twitter.com/PlayBall/status/136 ... 53699?s=20

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 22, 2021, 6:29 AM Post
Global Moderator
The previously mentioned HS SS/3B Brady House had quite a weekend including 3 home runs (video courtesy of Kiley McDaniel):

House Home Run #1

House Home Run #2

—————————————

Here’s some video of Louisville 3B Alex Binelas from the weekend (via Burke Granger):

Binelas Batting Practice

Binelas Double

—————————————

I’ve seen some placed drop UCLA SS Matt McLain into the teens on their draft boards. I think he would be a Brewers target if he dropped to them, but I get the sense he’ll almost certainly be off the board by #15.

Here’s video of McLain from the weekend (via UCLA):

McLain Double

McLain Home Run

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 01, 2021, 3:03 PM Post
Alex Binelas off to a 2 and 26 start. Most mock
drafts I’ve seen have him going 8-13 and we pick
15. Maybe he will drop to us?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 04, 2021, 8:46 PM Post
I know we all want a 3B prospect. One to watch for me is Zack Gelof from Virginia. Maybe a possibility with the Comp A pick, really like his power profile.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 06, 2021, 6:36 AM Post
Global Moderator
Brock42 said:
Alex Binelas off to a 2 and 26 start. Most mock
drafts I’ve seen have him going 8-13 and we pick
15. Maybe he will drop to us?

Keith Law dropped Alex Binelas down to 29th on his draft board. He also dropped the previously mentioned McLain to 19th and said he’ll probably have to move to second base in pro ball.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 06, 2021, 11:17 AM Post
I wonder with Binelas having a bad start if he will drop like Turang did and allow the Brewers to pick him when he should be going in the top 10. Somewhat similar to Mitchell though he dropped for other reasons.

Ultimately I think the Brewers continue with drafting up the middle type of players so either another SS or CF type of a player in the 1st round.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 06, 2021, 4:25 PM Post
nate82 said:
I wonder with Binelas having a bad start if he will drop like Turang did and allow the Brewers to pick him when he should be going in the top 10. Somewhat similar to Mitchell though he dropped for other reasons.

Ultimately I think the Brewers continue with drafting up the middle type of players so either another SS or CF type of a player in the 1st round.

This organization badly needs some prospects that can hit and hit with power especially at third base or they will continue to struggle offensively.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 06, 2021, 5:01 PM Post
brewers888 said:
nate82 said:

This organization badly needs some prospects that can hit and hit with power especially at third base or they will continue to struggle offensively.

You are talking about two different things. Yeah, I'd like to see a top-flight 3B prospect in the system, but drafting a guy this year isn't going to solve any perceived offensive deficiencies at the MLB level any time soon. Frankly, the Brewers not being able to develop Lucas Erceg and Jake Gatewood at 3B has been a major deficiency in the system, but it isn't like the Brewers have struggled for production at 3B over the last decade until 2020 rolled around. They've managed to actually find some very good 3B production over the years, magically no thanks to their minor league system (unless I suppose you count dealing Thornburg for Shaw and Phillips for Moose).

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 06, 2021, 6:43 PM Post
brewers888 said:
nate82 said:

No, this organization just needs to continue drafting the best player available regardless what position that player plays. If they are a SS in college or high school that doesn't mean they are a SS no matter what Clancy says all kidding aside just because someone is drafted at a certain position that doesn't mean that is their only position they can play. The Brewers wanted to draft Tulo and play him at 3B they also wanted to do this with Hardy but both refused. Short stops can sometimes out grow their position and will instead become 2B or 3B or OF's. Even Yount went from SS to CF and there are many more that have moved from their original position to another. It is better to just draft the best player available regardless of what position they play as you could have your future 1B or future 3B when you draft a high school or even college SS.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 07, 2021, 6:14 AM Post
nate82 said:
brewers888 said:
nate82 said:

No, this organization just needs to continue drafting the best player available regardless what position that player plays. If they are a SS in college or high school that doesn't mean they are a SS no matter what Clancy says all kidding aside just because someone is drafted at a certain position that doesn't mean that is their only position they can play. The Brewers wanted to draft Tulo and play him at 3B they also wanted to do this with Hardy but both refused. Short stops can sometimes out grow their position and will instead become 2B or 3B or OF's. Even Yount went from SS to CF and there are many more that have moved from their original position to another. It is better to just draft the best player available regardless of what position they play as you could have your future 1B or future 3B when you draft a high school or even college SS.

The player has to have the bat to possibly move off of shortstop to third base. Turang for instance while being a fine draft pick will never have the bat to play third.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 08, 2021, 1:41 PM Post
BallFour said:
I know we all want a 3B prospect. One to watch for me is Zack Gelof from Virginia. Maybe a possibility with the Comp A pick, really like his power profile.

Hmm, he's committed 4 errors in 29 chances so far... Guessing he doesn't stay at 3B?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2021, 10:34 AM Post
Global Moderator
For those interested in updates on where some of the college players projected as possible 1st round talents have fared so far this is a good read from FanGraphs:

A Collection of Weekend Scouting Notes (3/9/2021)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 11, 2021, 7:54 PM Post
Thanks for all the links, Eye Black. I read them all. This will be an interesting draft. Lot of ways it can go. I think right now House is my favorite but there is always more research.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 16, 2021, 5:25 PM Post
Global Moderator
Gunnar Hoglund could be someone to keep an eye on as an SEC pitcher with a track record of statistical success & a high spin heater.

Got a little blurb at FanGraphs today...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/another-sco ... 3-16-2021/

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 02, 2021, 10:16 AM Post
Global Moderator
Another scouting notebook up at FanGraphs with someone who could be an intriguing possibility for the Brewers first rounder...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-wednesday ... 3-31-2021/

Sam Bachman went nine up nine down nine strikeouts for Miami (OH) last Saturday with a 70 grade slider/high nineties heater combo.

Sounds like a reliever only profile with some injury/mechanics red flags & he pitches in a weaker conference, but could also have the upside of a quick to MLB multi inning impact bullpen arm.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 03, 2021, 9:21 AM Post
The switch to twenty rounds for the draft makes a lot of sense for the Brewers as over the last fifty years the team has Fiers, Breslow, and Suter to show for their hours spent drafting beyond the 20th round. Looking forward to seeing the Brewers add more talent to their farm system with the 10th-highest draft pool in 2021.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 09, 2021, 11:22 AM Post
nate82 said:

this strategy has caused a black hole at 1st since prince left and 3rd since ARAM was traded.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 09, 2021, 5:07 PM Post
...and the fact they have not had success over the last handful of years taking third basemen towards the top of the draft (they have taken a half dozen or so). They may be betting on a shortstop outgrowing the middle infield and/or an outfielder getting moved to first. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Brewers target college pitching in the first couple of rounds this year. I could see a draft similar to their 2019 draft.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 65 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test