LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

[ 10 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

OXS Question

Offline  OXS Question

Posted: January 15, 2008, 1:08 AM Post
I get OPS well enough and understand the math and science behind it. I see some promote OXS as a more dependable measure of success. What I don't understand is the "why" behind this stat. Is it simply that slugging is actually "worth" that much more then getting on-base? Those of you greater in your statical enlightenment, please explain.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  OXS Question

Posted: January 15, 2008, 4:58 AM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
I know next to diddly-squat, but I know that OBP is generally regarded as more valuable than SLG.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote   Reply 
Offline  OXS Question

Posted: January 15, 2008, 7:36 PM Post
Onbase times slugging gives you a better idea than onbase plus slugging, because it will value a higher on base percentage more than a higher slugging percentage.

Take two guys who (for example) have a 1.000 OPS.

One has a .350 OBP and .650 slg and one has a .400 obp and .600 ops

Their OxS would come out to be: .228 and .240, with the higher obp coming out on top.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Offline  OXS Question

Posted: January 15, 2008, 7:47 PM Post
It looks like a good stat to use when comparing to similar players. What would be considered a good OxS? What would be league average? What is considered good and bad?

Fan is short for fanatic.
I blame Wang.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  OXS Question

Posted: January 16, 2008, 4:01 AM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Onbase times slugging gives you a better idea than onbase plus slugging, because it will value a higher on base percentage more than a higher slugging percentage.

If the formula is just OBP * SLG, how does it inherently value one component more than the other?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  OXS Question

Posted: January 16, 2008, 4:04 AM Post
AB x OBP x SLG can estimate runs scored for a team pretty well but it's not really one of those equations that can be directly derived. It just sort of works decently for the ranges of OBP and SLG that you typically see in the majors. I'd focus more on something like linear weights or base runs, that have an actual explanation for their derivation.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  OXS Question

Posted: January 16, 2008, 4:42 AM Post
Why is OBP worth more then SLG, and if so how much more? I assume OBP is, but I wouldn't even begin to guess how much more weight OBP should be granted.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  OXS Question

Posted: January 16, 2008, 5:33 AM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
From everything I've encountered, OBP is generally regarded as 1.7 to 1.8 times more valuable/heavily weighted. Fwiw, 1.8x is what I've seen/heard more.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  OXS Question

Posted: January 16, 2008, 2:44 PM Post
I have seen ranges from between 1.2 to 2.2, depending on how you try to calculate it. GPA uses 1.8 and as TooLiveBrew stated, it's probably the weight of choice right now.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  OXS Question

Posted: January 21, 2008, 5:20 AM Post
TooLiveBrew said:
If the formula is just OBP * SLG, how does it inherently value one component more than the other?

I worded this poorly.

The closer the value of OBP and SLG in the equation for two players with the same OPS (as I'm assuming SLG will always be higher) the higher OBP is the higher the value will be for OxS.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
 [ 10 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply