LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

[ 9 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

How much faith do you put in the WAR stat?

Offline    How much faith do you put in the WAR stat?

Posted: April 29, 2012, 10:02 PM Post
Global Moderator
When you evaluate a player's career, do you swear by WAR, do you take it into account, or do you have little faith in it?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: How much faith do you put in the WAR stat?

Posted: April 30, 2012, 10:49 AM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Take it into account

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 30, 2012, 12:11 PM Post
Almost completely ignore it for pitchers. Look at wOBA then WAR for position players. While looking at WAR consider PA(since WAR is a counting stat) and look at just the defensive portion of WAR compared to other years to gauge how confident I would be that their defense is properly reflected in their WAR. I think it does a pretty good job of measuring a player's contribution in previous years but needs a lot of tweaking if you are trying to guess at WAR for consequent years.

Fan is short for fanatic.
I blame Wang.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 03, 2012, 9:29 AM Post
I take it into account but occasionally take it with a grain of salt.

An example: those of us who think Cal Ripken Jr is overrated (in the context of All-Time greats) will not be as enamored of WAR. Just because there were not a lot of SS's in Ripken's time who hit for power (thus raising his WAR scores) does that mean that Ripken Jr was better than say, Barry Larkin? I don't think so.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 03, 2012, 9:46 AM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Just because there were not a lot of SS's in Ripken's time who hit for power (thus raising his WAR scores) does that mean that Ripken Jr was better than say, Barry Larkin? I don't think so.

That's an interesting question, because the answer could just as easily be "yes". Context is incredibly important in terms of defining player value (WAR or otherwise).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 03, 2012, 1:01 PM Post
I use WAR, but I also really like WAA (wins above average -- basically WAR-2.0*number_of_seasons_played)

It helps to determine if a guy was truly great, as opposed to someone who played for years and years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 03, 2012, 2:15 PM Post
I think WAR is a useful comparison tool but not the definitive answer to anything. I like it much better than many of the derived statistics, especially on the pitching side.

I don't there are very many useful all encompassing metrics when it comes to pitching at this point in time because there isn't a good way to incorporate the nuances of successful pitching into a true "this is how well this pitcher actually pitched" metric. You can't really remove defense from the equation if you can't adequately qualify it on a yearly basis, and no one has done so to this point. Zone systems are better than nothing, but linear systems would work better though require more input/exactness to make work. For pitchers I'm more into comparing the actual result against certain rate stats to form an opinion.

Generally speaking I like baseball-ref's version of WAR for pitching and fangraphs more for position players, but it's all about personal preference. I'm not sure there's a right or wrong answer as to which is better.

I do like using WAR for discussing theories and concepts though, such as trading as established/productive MLB player and yet becoming better team. Many people tend to get caught up 1 for 1 player comparisons when it's not that simple so WAR calculations can be very useful when trying to hash out more thought provoking concepts.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."
- Plato
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
- Plato

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2012, 8:08 AM Post
I prefer looking at championships won and how often the player played on a winning team.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 30, 2012, 2:42 PM Post
If you are talking about a starting pitcher with a long career, I wouldn't weigh fielding independent stats very much. I wouldn't use a version of WAR that uses FIP as a result. Really, ERA becomes pretty darn good (adjusted for park) over a long career, unless the pitcher had a consistently good for bad defense behind him.

For evaluating a hitter's career, I would be happy to use WAR.

Quote   Reply 
 [ 9 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply