LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 39 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Second Softball Practice 4/22 @ 1 pm

Offline  Second Softball Practice 4/22 @ 1 pm

Posted: April 21, 2006, 6:28 AM Post
Is someone bringing a radio? I believe the person who brought it to the last parctice (iron chef?) was going to be absent this time. With a little notice, I could provide a boombox (need to pick up batteries).

Quote:
If anyone wants to get together on sunday, I'm game.

I could definitely be persuaded if it wasn't too far from my house (hwy 100 & Greenfield). Jamie's the only one with the official softballs, though, and I don't really have any bats.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2006, 6:30 AM Post

Director of Site Operations
Board Administrator
Depending on how sore I am, I might be interested in playing on Sunday. I'm in Waukesha, so distance isn't an issue for me.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2006, 12:44 PM Post
Does everybody know where McCarty Park is? If not, its on 84th and Cleveland. Note that Cleveland doesn't run from 76th to 84th, and the parking lot is just off of 84th (where Cleveland would be). If enough people are interested, I would love to practice there on sunday and actually meet some of the team. Otherwise, Wilson park on 20th and howard has a ton of fields (across the street from the ice rink), and I can pretty much guarantee that the field at Milwaukee hamilton will not be in use (although its a baseball field).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2006, 1:36 PM Post

Director of Amateur Baseball Operations
Global Moderator
Valpo, Brian and bball, if you guys are in I think Sunday is doable for me. I don't have a bat either unfortunately, at least not a metal one. I would be willing to go to McCarthy park if that's a good central location for everyone.

Early afternoon, maybe the same 1:00 pm time as Saturday's practice? I need to get some angst out after this recent Brewers run...

I do have a couple of softballs, and if Brian comes, maybe he could bring a couple from Saturday's practice.

Speaking of bats, any suggestions? I'm willing to spend about $25-30. Every time I go to the Dunham's by me everything has been picked through pretty extensively.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2006, 1:57 PM Post
Global Moderator
As far as aluminum bats go, I'd suggest trying to get one with a nice "drop" to it.
a 34 inch bat that weighs 28 oz. has a "drop" of -6. (the difference between length and weight is the drop) The greater the drop, generally the greater the greater the bat speed.
I spent $30.00 on a drop 6 Nike bat which needs more hits to "break it in"
Unfortunately,with a $30.00 bat, you usually get a single wall bat with a non-shock absorbing grip on it. Non absorbing can rob power and single wall bats can dent rather easily especially in cool weather.

Here's a Bat buyer's link I found interesting and helpfull. Also make sure which ever bat you select is ASA approved. (there will be a stamp on the bat) If your sporting goods store is picked over, you may want to check ebay.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2006, 2:08 PM Post
I know exactly where McCarty is. I would be free at 1:00, too. Sounds great to me.* About me not having any bats, I should clarify, I do have some bats that could be used just for hitting flyballs and grounders, but they would not be good bats for BP 'cos they're nothing you'd use in an actual game.

* Note, after the last practice, I was too sore on Sunday to even think about practicing again. I'm just blindly assuming that this will not be the case again this weekend. :)

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2006, 2:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
I'll leave the practice balls and my bat with someone if you guys need it for sunday. BTW- if you're practicing Saturday and then Sunday, good luck with that. I took till Tuesday to recover last time out.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2006, 2:45 PM Post

Board Administrator
The bat I got today at Dunham's was a 28 oz bat, and it was $60.00. It was actually the cheapest one I saw there.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2006, 10:19 PM Post
Sweet. Count me in for sunday at 1 at McCarthy park then.

See you there!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 21, 2006, 11:14 PM Post
Perhaps someone should scout out the opposing teams and we can generate some data to run a little alien defense...

Being that I'm the Director of Statistical Research for this team, I will more than be happy to volunteer to scout our opponents and put together some defensive metrics. I've got some ideas already...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 22, 2006, 2:53 AM Post
Global Moderator
Can't seem to find the orginal thread. What day is our first game again?

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder
EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 22, 2006, 2:58 AM Post

Board Administrator
Actually, i'm out for Sunday. I forgot that I have some family committments that day.

Plus, being my first practice, i'm sure i'll be immobile :)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 22, 2006, 3:52 AM Post
Global Moderator
Can't seem to find the orginal thread. What day is our first game again? (robin 19)

I can't seem to find it either. I looked in the issues forum and all 20 pages of off topic. I think it dropped off already.

First game is May 11th 8 pm

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 22, 2006, 7:42 AM Post
bball123h and colbyjack, I got some practice balls from jamie today. Are we still on for 1:00 tomorrow at McCarty? Brewer Fever said he'd also be there, so we're up to four guys.

Anyone else???

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 22, 2006, 11:02 AM Post
I'm still in, as I will desparately need some BP and throwing. Do we have any unfilled positions yet, or have starting jobs been locked up? Basically, I'm interested in if we have a 3B, 1B, 2B, or RF....

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 22, 2006, 11:15 AM Post
Update: I tweaked my foot but good rounding first base today early in practice. Only hurt a little until I got off my feet this afternoon. Now I can't put any weight on it. :(

I'll be at McCarty tomorrow at 1:00 no matter what, but I might be to useless to do anything but pitch or take some throws at first.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 22, 2006, 12:01 PM Post

Global Moderator
I'm still on for tomorrow at 1 pm.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 23, 2006, 11:31 AM Post

Global Moderator
Kenny, Matt and Josh, it was nice meeting all three of you today. Matt, thanks again for the ride. I actually started my car up relatively quick after you dropped me off. A little patient wiggling did the trick.

Anyway, I hope to see everyone in two weeks, on Saturday May 6th, as I can't attend next weekend's practice.

I hope have fun next weekend. Today really got me excited about playing again (I thought about it this morning, it's been 12 years since I played anything that resembles organized baseball/softball).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 23, 2006, 11:55 AM Post
Practice today was definately a good time, and I'm all jacked up for the season to start. I currently work 12-8 on Saturday, but I think I may have a doctor's appointment around 1 pm or so....

See you guys Saturday!

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 39 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply