LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

[ 2 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

courtesy with limited use of pronouns

Offline  courtesy with limited use of pronouns

Posted: October 16, 2012, 10:50 AM Post

Roster Guru
a suggestion to forum members when responding to threads, and also when quoting other members . . .

please try to avoid exclusive use of pronouns in your post and/or quote . . . typically his, him, he, their, etc.

removed from their original context, it's usually hard for others to determine whom you're referring to. if you're quoting someone, please make sure it's clear whom s/he is referencing. if it's entirely comprised of pronouns, we're all confused.

a recent example is found in this post (which is the first post on page 3 of the thread, so it's more difficult to go back to page 2 to find the original discussion.)

copied here, it reads:

I don't think anyone's denying that, but to say he's a big injury question mark after the season he had is maybe a little bit of a stretch, isn't it?

I don't think considering him an injury risk is a stretch at all. He is 34 so that alone throws up some red flags as far as expected injuries. Add in his recent injury history and I think that points to a higher injury risk.

i have no idea whom either person is referring to. the posting that would better serve the readers of this forum could look like this instead:

I don't think anyone's denying that, but to say (Ramirez is) a big injury question mark after the season he had is maybe a little bit of a stretch, isn't it?

I don't think considering A-Ram an injury risk is a stretch at all. He is 34 so that alone throws up some red flags as far as expected injuries. Add in his recent injury history and I think that points to a higher injury risk.

note that the quote was edited by replacing "he" with the player's name in parentheses. you're still respecting the integrity of the of the original poster's intent with that editing.

this would be much appreciated . . . thanks!

being that mlb players and coaches are male, and that the majority of brewerfan.net discussion revolves around these men, i elected not to use female pronouns in my example.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: courtesy with limited use of pronouns

Posted: December 03, 2019, 11:19 AM Post

Roster Guru
a friendly reminder, please . . . thanks!

Quote   Reply 
 [ 2 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply