LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

[ 14 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

posting minor league signings

Offline  posting minor league signings

Posted: October 03, 2014, 8:01 AM Post

Roster Guru
what's proper protocol for posting the signing of a player to a minor league contract?

if it's about a player with major league experience, should it posted in the major league forum or the minor league forum?

if it's about a player signed to a minor league contract but with an invitation to major league spring training camp, should it be posted in the major league forum?

if the player has major league experience but isn't invited to big league camp, post it in the general thread for minor league transactions?

the signings of aaaa-type players will start soon! inquiring minds want to know!

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: posting minor league signings

Posted: October 03, 2014, 9:24 AM Post
djoctagone said:
what's proper protocol for posting the signing of a player to a minor league contract?

if it's about a player with major league experience, should it posted in the major league forum or the minor league forum?

if it's about a player signed to a minor league contract but with an invitation to major league spring training camp, should it be posted in the major league forum?

if the player has major league experience but isn't invited to big league camp, post it in the general thread for minor league transactions?

the signings of aaaa-type players will start soon! inquiring minds want to know!

Great Question. My two cents are if they have relevant Major League experience put it in the Major League forum as more people read that forum. If it is a nobody, with really no major league experience, throw it in the minors forum. But, like I said - just my two cents. Lets have the mods chime in.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2014, 10:45 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
A new minor league transaction thread for the 2014-15 offseason is now in place.

There's no formal protocol for folks to worry about, but if a player is signed to a minor league contract with no big league camp invite, one would think there is no need to start a new thread specific to that signing on the Major League Forum.

But use your judgment, let's say Jeremy Hermida is re-signed to a minor league deal but with no camp invite, maybe there is a Major League thread already in place discussing 2015 organizational outfield depth or something.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2014, 11:18 AM Post

Usability Director
Board Administrator
It's a tough call for some of these signings as common sense arguments can be made for locating discussion in either forum. That's why, as Mass Haas says, there's no formal protocol.

When there are two essentially similar threads, a moderator might try to condense discussion into a single topic. How that's accomplished would be a judgement call on the part of the individual moderator. If discussion is locked, moved, or merged, members shouldn't feel like they did anything "wrong." It's just a matter of directing traffic.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.
-- Sigmund Snopek

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2014, 12:40 PM Post

Global Moderator
Quite often I'll post the news in both forums. The minor league transaction thread we would prefer to maintain mostly for historical reference and not so much a discussion thread. If a player becomes "discussion-worthy", we'll always direct folks to where they can discuss the signing more in-depth.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2017, 11:45 AM Post

Roster Guru
curious as to why this thread was moved to the minor league forum.

it's about a player signed to a major league contract and added to the 40-man roster.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2017, 1:56 PM Post

Global Moderator
A moderator made a judgment call. Moved it back for you.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 24, 2017, 6:42 AM Post

Roster Guru
thank you . . . saw it moved, but now it's back in the minor league forum. it's a move affecting the major league 40-man roster (and not speculation on a move like purchasing the contract of corbin burnes).

i find this puzzling.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 24, 2017, 1:20 PM Post

Global Moderator
We have over a dozen moderators, anyone of them could have moved the thread, hopefully they'll see this post [wink].

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 24, 2017, 9:35 PM Post
Global Moderator
It was me. I looked at the post and it was about claiming a minor league player and DFAing another minor league player. Didn't seem to belong in the MLB forum. There is even speculation about the claim being for the AAA playoffs.

I did it twice because I figured I messed something up the first time. I never expected that someone would move it back to the MLB forum.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 25, 2017, 2:14 PM Post
I personally believe any adds/deletions to the 40 man roster should go on the MLB forum as even people that don't follow the minors closely may want to know who is on the Brewers 40 man.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 27, 2017, 6:33 AM Post

Roster Guru
Outlander said:
I personally believe any adds/deletions to the 40 man roster should go on the MLB forum as even people that don't follow the minors closely may want to know who is on the Brewers 40 man.

agreed. anything that revolves around a transaction involving the 40-man roster belongs in the major league forum.

in the case of aaron brooks, he was added to the 40-man roster and sent on optional assignment to the minor leagues. he still has a major league contract that he has not been waived from.

and as i suggested initially, any spring training non-roster invitee in major league camp should be in the major league forum.

i still have an issue with this thread being in the major league forum. it's about a player that's yet to be placed on a 40-man roster. if the thread about speculation on which players to protect from the rule 5 draft is in the minor league forum, then a thread on corbin burnes should also be in the minor league forum.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 27, 2017, 8:10 AM Post

Global Moderator
Let the Burnes thread remain. Hopefully it will interest folks who don't venture to the Minor League side of things too often, to dip their toes there in the future. I doubt it will set this great future precedent of intersecting forums/threads.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 28, 2017, 5:54 AM Post

Roster Guru
showing it as moved (literally stating "moved") will encourage people to detour to that forum and see all of the threads speculating on the development of future brewers.

keeping it in the minor league forum won't.

Quote   Reply 
 [ 14 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply