LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 56 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017-09-24: Cubs (Quintana) at Brewers (Anderson) 1:10 PM CDT (Brewers lose, 5-0)

Offline  Re: 2017-09-24: Cubs (Quintana) at Brewers (Anderson) 1:10 PM CDT

Posted: September 24, 2017, 2:52 PM Post
The good news regarding the lack of depth in the bullpen and the lack of juice in the lineup is that the cavalry is coming the next couple of years.

Picture a pen with Williams, Bickford and Ponce instead of Torres, Drake et al.

In the lineup, adding Hiura along with Brinson/Phillips will be a major plus.

Longer term, this could go well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2017, 2:55 PM Post
adambr2 said:
MoreTrife said:
If Rockies somehow lose... Brewers will be very lucky.

It's whatever to me at this point. If you continue to have to rely on the San Diego Padres every day for you to keep pace in the playoff race, you don't deserve to be going to the playoffs.

Yeah I hear ya. Difficult to give up hope though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2017, 2:56 PM Post
Austin Tatious said:
The good news regarding the lack of depth in the bullpen and the lack of juice in the lineup is that the cavalry is coming the next couple of years.

Picture a pen with Williams, Bickford and Ponce instead of Torres, Drake et al.

In the lineup, adding Hiura along with Brinson/Phillips will be a major plus.

Longer term, this could go well.

Would love to see Hiura. A nice doubles, contact hitter.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2017, 2:59 PM Post
Agree. I think Hiura is going to be a big time, well rounded, hitter. Position is the question, but i think they'll find him a spot. 2b, lf , 1b, they will make room

And, a little further down the line, Tristen Lutz might be big time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2017, 3:03 PM Post
Doubt Hiura will be ready until 2019. Even Ryan Braun needed 2 years of MiLB

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2017, 3:09 PM Post
Yeah, I'd say 2019 is the year we get a major influx. But we may get some guys back half of 2018 too

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2017, 3:09 PM Post
Quintana with a 3 hit shutout. He is a quality pitcher and Stearns was in on acquiring him. But the White Sox wanted too much, Hader for one, and Stearns passed. On to Cincinnatti Tuesday and we shall see what happens.

Quintana's record as a Cub 7-3. He would have been a nice addition especially with what happened to Jimmy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2017, 3:14 PM Post
Genius strategy by the Brewer offense. Tank the game and let Quintana go 9 so the Cubs can rest up their pen and sweep the Cards. Well played.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2017, 3:30 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Genius strategy by the Brewer offense. Tank the game and let Quintana go 9 so the Cubs can rest up their pen and sweep the Cards. Well played.

lol

good call.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2017, 3:42 PM Post
turborickey said:
adambr2 said:

lol

good call.

Of course this was not the Brewers real plan late in the game. However, no doubt this is true despite how small the advantage really is.

Quote   Reply 

I'd think there has to be a Reds sweep to give us any shot at this point. I've seen enough Cardinals v Brewers at this point to expect the worst. Sucks to think we could have easily taken 3/4 here and been in a totally different situation.

Quote   Reply 

turborickey said:
adambr2 said:

lol

good call.

Of course this was not the Brewers real plan late in the game. However, no doubt this is true despite how small the advantage really is.

Cubs have won the division, simple fact. Only way the Brewers likely win the wildcard is for the Cubs to absolutely win the division with a series win over the Cards. Fact of the matter is we now need to be rooting for the Cubs to sweep the cards (or at least win the series), which in turn would eliminate the Brewers from the division. However, this would help the Brewers make it really a two team race against the Rockies for the 2nd wildcard. Dare I say, "Go Cubs"?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 24, 2017, 11:15 PM Post
Yes go Cubs, and not just because I hate the Cards 1000x more. They have a Bill James clinch (lead squared is more than games remaining times 4) and 99+% chance in the simulations. The problem is that they will have to win at least one meaningless game to win more than 2 in the series.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 25, 2017, 6:01 AM Post
sdcheezhd said:
Yes go Cubs, and not just because I hate the Cards 1000x more. They have a Bill James clinch (lead squared is more than games remaining times 4) and 99+% chance in the simulations. The problem is that they will have to win at least one meaningless game to win more than 2 in the series.

I don't think the Cubs will ease up on the Cards if they were to win the first two and have everything clinched up.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 25, 2017, 6:13 AM Post
DaSpark said:
sdcheezhd said:

I don't think the Cubs will ease up on the Cards if they were to win the first two and have everything clinched up.

I disagree. Maddon is not dumb, he is not going to put a rivalry ahead of bigger picture goals, and he made it a point to start resting guys in the middle of September last year when they had everything locked up.

I'm not saying he's going to trot out Sunday lineups every day, but he's definitely going to try to set up his rotation for the playoffs and get his top relievers some rest.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 25, 2017, 7:13 AM Post
To be honest, looking at the rest of the schedule, what the Cardinals do against the Cubs is of little consequence to us anyway.

Reason being, we likely need to go 5-1 at worst anyway just to have a shot at the Rockies. Might need to run the table.

That in itself would take the Cardinals out of the equation.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 56 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply