LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 42 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

it's spelled c-o-u-n-s-e-l-l

Offline  it's spelled c-o-u-n-s-e-l-l

Posted: March 28, 2007, 12:42 PM Post
Global Moderator
I actually take great pride in spelling things correctly. Heck, many times, I go grab a dictionary before typing something out (if I need it). I'm glad that all my English, spelling, and grammar classes have "paid off" in my career.
Wake up old school. Firefox has built-in spellchecker. It works just like it would in MS word for all of your posts, your email, pretty much anything you type online.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 28, 2007, 2:04 PM Post
Global Moderator
I'm still using the old Firefox.

- - - - - - - - -
P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 28, 2007, 2:50 PM Post
Quote:
Wake up old school. Firefox has built-in spellchecker.

Plus spellcheck won't catch "Sexton".

Honestly, if someone mis-spells a couple times, I don't care. Mis-spellings like Grafanino or Vilanueva don't bother me. Getting a guy's name completely wrong, such as Richie Weeks or Greg Gross is unacceptable.

There have been times where I have used an abbreviation (did I spell that word correctly?) instead of typing out the entire name just so I won't get chastized. I don't think people should be ripped on for missing a letter in a word, or putting the wrong letter in (like putting an i when you should have put an e for a sound in a word).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 28, 2007, 3:01 PM Post
Global Moderator
Yeah, it's really not a problem when you mis-spell the really obscure names like Kieschnick, et al. It's annoying when the guy is either an MLB legend Clemens or Maddux, or you completely get the guy's name wrong like people have mentioned with Richie Weeks, Bob Melvin, Sexton, Greg Gross, etc.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 29, 2007, 8:11 AM Post
if he produces, I'll learn how to spell his name correctly.

i have no problem spelling Hank Aaron's name. Bonds is easy too! Celmens. Jeter. Poolholes see - no problem.

maybe Cowncel should legally change the spelling of his name like Marilyn Monroe and Anna Nicole did. .

looking back at my family tree, my last name used to be spelled baegley, then bagley, then biglo, then biglow,
then bigelow. I guess they felt they could sell more tea with that last spelling.

I'm not one to complain. if they hadn't changed my family name from baegley to bigelow, I could be known as Bag Reed instead of Big Reed. and we wouldn't want that would we? at least, I wouldn't want that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 29, 2007, 10:11 AM Post

LambeauLeap President
Global Moderator
Celmens

Irony.

Quote   Reply 
Online  it's spelled c-o-u-n-s-e-l-l

Posted: April 09, 2007, 12:55 AM Post

Roster Guru
i suppose one advantage of counsell getting more starts at third than graffanino is that his name is being published more online and in print.

the increased visibility of his correctly spelled name can't hurt.

perhaps counsell remembers if it's "slopper" or "slobber" . . .

Hopefully, Eugene can use this offseason to work on his punctuation.

Quote   Reply 
Online  it's spelled c-o-u-n-s-e-l-l

Posted: December 14, 2009, 7:12 AM Post

Roster Guru
i've noticed an improvement in the spelling of his name by the masses. i suppose all the coverage he got for his valuable 2009 season helped remind people how to properly spell his name.

Hopefully, Eugene can use this offseason to work on his punctuation.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 14, 2009, 7:27 AM Post

Usability Director
Board Administrator
I think the misspellings of "Counsell" were displaced by misspellings of "DiFelice."

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.
-- Sigmund Snopek

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 14, 2009, 5:59 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Ironically, "Yovani Gallardo" almost always seems to be spelled correctly.

"McGehee" is another that some/many people just don't seem to take the time to learn.

"The key is identifying the moment. The worst is when you try to do it halfway: when you think you can compete and you also think you're trying to rebuild. Then you're stuck in no-man's-land. You either do it or you don't." -- Billy Beane

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 15, 2009, 1:48 AM Post
Global Moderator
I hope the Brewers never trade for Clay Buchholtz.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: it's spelled c-o-u-n-s-e-l-l

Posted: May 04, 2015, 6:25 AM Post

Roster Guru
take heed, please.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: it's spelled c-o-u-n-s-e-l-l

Posted: May 05, 2015, 10:11 AM Post
Global Moderator
djoctagone said:
take heed, please.

I'm friends with a guy on Facebook who is about a die hard baseball fan as you can find, and yesterday he spelled it "Craig Council."

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 06, 2015, 4:38 AM Post
Auto-correct and lack of attention are responsible for a lot of spelling errors these days, with people using their phones. Some of these typos can end up causing a LOT of offense but others may find them simply humorous. I dare not quote examples here. [smile]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 06, 2015, 8:31 AM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Board Administrator
Imagine the spellmageddon that would result if the Brewers ever signed Jarrod Saltalamacchia. (Though if that day ever comes, I'm getting the shirsey just because.) [smile]

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 06, 2015, 12:55 PM Post

Usability Director
Board Administrator
Auto-correct and lack of attention are responsible for a lot of spelling errors these days, with people using their phones.

I recently needed to put an electrical item from Leviton on my shopping list, and my Mac kept insisting on changing it to "levity." Except for flagging it as a misspelling, the Mac leaves "Counsell" alone. Firefox's spell checker approves of "Counsell," though. I wonder if I added it way back when.

-- Sigmund Snopek

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 07, 2015, 8:33 AM Post
I'm getting "Counsell" flagged as incorrect in Firefox. Perhaps you have added it to the custom dictionary at some point?

Learned a new word today: "shirsey".

Another issue that can arise is adding an incorrect spelling to the custom dictionary. Usually, this is very easily done - perhaps too easily.

I'll remember "levity". That'll give me a chuckle a few times over the next few days! LOL (That'll is a spelling error according to Firefox. :\)

Some careful and strategic use of the cuss filter could work around some of these misspellings.

Interesting to see a 2007 topic correctly revived.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 07, 2015, 12:31 PM Post

Usability Director
Board Administrator
I got curious, so I went back and checked. I've added about 15 words to Firefox, including There'd, Counsell, Brookfield, javascript, Brewerfan, Wauwatosa, That'll, dropdown, Aoki, versa, Tapatalk, Beloit, else's, there'll, there'd, iPad, and iCloud. I actually know how to spell all of those words. But I don't like looking at the warnings because they can cause me to ignore an error that needs to be attended to.

I've added a bunch of other words to the Mac spell checker. Among them are Brodhead, Delavan, dimmable, Dotster, LambeauLeap, Menards, Oconomowoc, subforum, Summerfest, Undermount, unswitched, Footville, and Glarus. Firefox's US spell checker doesn't include any of these. Brookfield, Wauwatosa, and Beloit have made the cut for Apple's US spell checker.

I'm always reluctant to add anything to default spell checkers because if put something in by mistake, I have run over to Google to find out how to fix it.

-- Sigmund Snopek

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2015, 3:43 AM Post
LOL Could be me speaking there.

I've probably got a copy of my original (1980s) custom dictionary kicking around somewhere. It consisted of around 30 words, many of these being location related. Plain text file, with one word per line. The only way to alter it (other than add) was to edit the file.

Not sure what has changed in me. Perhaps a few things... I hardly use spellcheck now at all. I go to the trouble of setting up multiple languages and do I use them? Nope! In the '80s and '90s, I would have pressed a button (more likely used keystrokes) to run a spellcheck.

I distinctly recall emailing Vanchau and on another occasion speaking to an ezBoard developer about the spellchecker that was introduced to ezBoard. You may recall this was removed. Twice! [smile] That would have been around 2001ish. Hardly used spellcheck this century. Perhaps on a letter that counts, I may verify it at the end. I turn off the automatic spelling and grammar checkers. I do not use predictive text on my phone.

However, I do leave the US-EN dictionary enabled in: Firefox, Thunderbird and Pidgin. They help once I begin to get tired. My fingers go dyslexic!

Council counsellor Counsell, was good at keeping his own counsel.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2015, 11:35 AM Post

Usability Director
Board Administrator
Based on an e-mail discussion of a household project, I added "macgyvered" to my custom dictionary yesterday. While I was at it, I also added "macgyver" and "macgyvering."

There was a sign at Friday's game that said something like "Counsell's Council" or "Counsell's Counsel." hawing was at the game; maybe she saw it.

I think that the bottom line with Counsell is that he's been around for two decades and has had a prominent career. People who follow baseball should have seen his name often enough to know it isn't "Council." "Counsel" isn't so bad because it's close to the correct spelling.

Zack Greinke's name is probably the one that's been misspelled more than any other on this board. I checked once, and I believe his last name was spelled "Grienke" about 40% of the time. Then there's the Zack vs. Zach thing. I didn't find the Greinke misspellings to be nearly as annoying, though, except possibly for the need to do two searches to find posts about him. [smile]

-- Sigmund Snopek

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 42 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply