LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 28 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Link Report for Mon. 5/21 - LHP Will West debuts on TV in Rattlers matinee

Offline  Link Report for Mon. 5/21 - LHP Will West debuts on TV in Rattlers matinee

Posted: May 21, 2012, 8:02 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Link Report for Mon. 5/21 - LHP Will West debuts in Rattlers matinee

Posted: May 21, 2012, 8:15 AM Post

Global Moderator
Monday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Nashville: RHP Mark Rogers at Las Vegas (Blue Jays), 8:50 PM pre-game, 9:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Jeff Hem is the new play-by-play voice of the Sounds; follow him on Twitter @jeffhempbp; we'll link to his blog updates at On the Air…and Off

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Nashville games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $39.99 season-long package ($9.99 to pay for a single month). We imagine the audio feed is from the home team. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

Huntsville: RHP Hiram Burgos at Chattanooga (Dodgers), 6:00 PM pre-game, 6:15 gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Huntsville feed from the MiLB main audio page

I-Phone friendly audio link

Alex Cohen is the new play-by-play voice of the Stars; follow him on Twitter @alexmcohen. It's fantastic that Huntsville is returning to what will be a traditional broadcast format this year. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be broadcast.

MiLB.TV subsciption note: A total of 24 Stars' games (in Jacksonville and Tennessee) will be broadcast.

Brevard County: RHP Brooks Hall at Charlotte (Rays), 5:30 PM gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Charlotte feed from the MiLB main audio page

Once again this season, Brevard does not have its own audio coverage. It appears two teams in the Manatees North Division (within which the majority of games are played) have audio, and all six teams in the South Division have audio (at least for their home games), so there will be opportunities to listen to approx. 70% or Brevard's games this season, just all from the opponent's perspective. There are no Florida State League games on MiLB.TV this year.

Wisconsin: LHP Will West makes his full-season debut at home vs. Kane County (Royals), 11:45 AM pre-game, 12:05 PM gametime

Free Live Audio Link - 1280 AM WNAM

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; Wisconsin is one of only two (Great Lakes) Midwest League clubs that have all their home games available via MiLB.TV; Chris' call provides the audio. So for the $39.95 season-long package, fans in Brewer Nation can watch all Sounds games, all Timber Rattlers home games, and 24 Stars' road games (one Helena series this summer, too).

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Link Report for Mon. 5/21 - LHP Will West debuts in Rattlers matinee

Posted: May 21, 2012, 8:16 AM Post

Global Moderator
If you're reading this in the office and didn't set your DVR to tape LHP Will West's noon debut start on TWC Sports 32, it will be re-played at 9:00 AM Tuesday.

Also Timber Rattlers Field Pass is on at 11:30 AM and 9:00 PM Monday, with other airings later in the week (listings).

Literally all day Sunday (even in church! [smile]), I was racking my brain because I knew I had made a mental reminder to tag something on the up-front posts Sunday morning. Turns out it was the reminder about today's TV game and a DVR alert. Sorry...

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Link Report for Mon. 5/21 - LHP Will West debuts on TV in Rattlers matinee

Posted: May 21, 2012, 8:18 AM Post

Global Moderator
Follow Monday's action as it happens with box score / game log links:

Nashville

Huntsville

Brevard County

Wisconsin

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Link Report for Mon. 5/21 - LHP Will West debuts on TV in Rattlers matinee

Posted: May 21, 2012, 8:18 AM Post

Global Moderator
STANDINGS:

AAA - Pacific Coast League American Northern Division

AA - Southern League North Division

High-A - Florida State League North Division

A - Midwest League Western Division

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 21, 2012, 8:19 AM Post

Global Moderator
To see tweets as to when the Link Report has been technically "completed" with available links, as well as to know when the new day's Report has been posted, please follow @Mass_Haas on Twitter

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 21, 2012, 8:25 AM Post

Global Moderator
Audio from Tucson — “The Stuff from (hitting coach Al) LeBoeuf”

Jeff Hem's note: Tonight’s pregame interview is with Sounds hitting coach Al LeBoeuf, who is in his third season in the Brewers organization and 24th overall as a coach in the minor leagues. He’s spent time as a coach for the Mets, Phillies, Royals and Blue Jays in addition to The Crew.

Very worthwhile interview, opens up discussing Caleb Gindl's troubles thus far...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 21, 2012, 9:13 AM Post

Global Moderator
Wisconsin Media Notes

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 21, 2012, 10:42 AM Post
Attention Aspiring Link Reporters:

I am heading back up north this upcoming weekend. I could really use some help filing Link Reports for Brevard County and Nashville on Friday, Saturday and Sunday night.

It is really quite fun and a great platform to express your thoughts on some of the youngsters.

Last time up there (Iron Mountain, MI) we discovered my wife, via Verizon, gets some 3G service. The problem is that I would be writing with her iPhone, making the process a bit more tedious.

So if there is anyone who could help me out some of those nights, please let me know.

Thanks!

Last edited by Tedaldtada on May 21, 2012, 10:46 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 21, 2012, 10:45 AM Post
Pretty sweet pitching line-up tonight. Very much looking forward to it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 21, 2012, 12:37 PM Post

Global Moderator
RHP Mark Williams is the Midwest League Pitcher of the Week -- congrats!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 21, 2012, 2:25 PM Post

Global Moderator
Nashville Media Notes

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 21, 2012, 3:13 PM Post
Final: Wisconsin 7, Kane County 4

Rattlers win 7-4 to sweep three game set from Cougars
McMahan homers and drives in three
By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

GRAND CHUTE, WI - The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers did something on Monday afternoon that they had never done at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium. The Rattlers beat the Kane County Cougars 7-4 to complete their first ever home series sweep of the Cougars. Ben McMahan led the way with a homer and three RBI.

Wisconsin (28-17) started the game with three runs in the bottom of the first. Max Walla reached on an error with one out. Jason Rogers followed with an RBI triple. Nick Ramirez got Rogers home with a double. Later in the inning, McMahan drove in his first run with a sacrifice fly.

Rattlers starting pitcher Will West made his Midwest League debut on Monday afternoon. He worked a scoreless first, but allowed a run in the second and an unearned run in the third to let the Cougars (23-22) get to within a run.

Rogers and McMahan responded in the bottom of the third. Rogers doubled to start the inning. McMahan drove in Rogers with a two-out single to pad the Rattlers lead to a pair of runs.

West looked like he would work clean through the fifth inning. But, a string of three straight two-out singles - with Daniel Mateo coming up with the final one - let Kane County get a run to cut Wisconsin's lead back to one.

Rafael Neda drew a leadoff walk in the bottom of the seventh inning and was at second base with two outs. Walla drove in Neda with a single for a 5-3 lead.

McMahan provided a little more insurance with a long leadoff home run to left in the eighth inning. Brandon tacked on a run with an RBI single later in the eighth and the Rattlers had a 7-3 lead.

West worked a total of five innings, walked one, and struck out three before turning over the game to Jacob Barnes. Barnes pitched three scoreless innings and allowed just one hit with three strikeouts.

The Cougars would score a run off Stephen Peterson in the ninth on a sacrifice fly by Edul Escobar, but they would get no closer.

Kane County has been coming to Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium since the ballpark opened for the 1995 season. But, this three game sweep marked the first time the Rattlers had swept any home series from the Cougars. The last time Wisconsin won every game in a series against Kane County was a four game set in Geneva, Illinois from May 23-26, 2005.

The 2005 season also marks the last time Wisconsin was eleven games over the .500. The Rattlers reached eleven over .500 with their win on Monday.

The Timber Rattlers are off on Tuesday. The team returns to action on Wednesday night to begin a 13-game road trip. The Rattlers road odyssey begins at Quad Cities against the defending Midwest League champion River Bandits. Wisconsin will send Matt Miller (2-4, 4.50) to the hill as their scheduled starting pitcher. Quad Cities counters with lefty Kyle Hald (0-2, 3.86). Game time is 7:00pm. Tune in for the action on AM1280, WNAM or timberrattlers.com starting with the Miller Lite Pregame Show at 6:40pm.

WP: Will West (1-0)
LP: Aaron Brooks (3-5)

TIME: 2:48
ATTN: 4,778

Wisconsin Box Score
I completely forgot about the game this morning so I didn't set my DVR, shame on me. On the bright side Break Out the Brooms! Good attendance, a nice pitching debut, a victory, and a sweep, quite the day. Will West wasn't eye poppingly good, but I'll take it from a 19 year old his first shot at full season ball. I wasn't around much last summer so I admittedly don't know anything about him, I'm not even able to find a scouting report. It looked like he had a pretty solid commitment to Georgia Tech, I wonder what happened with that which led him to the undrafted route? It's highly probably that Sessile or Mass posted his story last year and I just missed it because they don't miss anything. At 6'4" 170lbs it appears he'd have a ton of projection left, and one can never go wrong with a projectable LHP unless they are drafted in the supplemental round and have an established history of not throwing strikes, but I digress. Jacob Barnes pitched 3 very good innings and is looking like solid relief prospect, he allowed 1 hit against 3 strike outs during his time on the bump. This was only Stephen Peterson's 2nd appearance since may 8th and he hadn't pitched since the 16th. I hope he's made some good progress in the bullpen as his workload has be reduced.

Jason Rogers and Ben McMahan had the only multi-hit days and also the only XBHs. Rogers went 2-3 with a double and a triple, McMahan 2-3 with the HR. Yadiel Rivera stole his 2nd base of the season while McMahan and Brandon Macias each committed errors. I described a pretty sloppy play from McMahan in Friday's LR, his fielding error today was already his 4th of the season as an OF, he has work to do out there. Rafael Neda also had a passed ball so the Rattlers played some poor defense today but these days have been few and far between this season, plus they got the win anyway so it's all good. On the positive side Chadwin Stang picked up another OF assist and no Cougars attempted to steal a base.

Wisconsin Play By Play
Go get em young man!
Kane County Top of the 1st
    Justin Trapp walks.
    Daniel Mateo grounds into double play, shortstop Yadiel Rivera to second baseman Gregory Hopkins to first baseman Nick Ramirez. Justin Trapp out at 2nd.
    Jorge Bonifacio flies out to center fielder Chadwin Stang.

Kane County Top of the 2nd
    Lane Adams strikes out swinging.
    Michael Antonio singles on a line drive to center fielder Chadwin Stang.
    Orlando Calixte doubles (8) on a line drive to left fielder Ben McMahan. Michael Antonio scores. Fielding error by left fielder Ben McMahan.
    Dean Espy grounds out, second baseman Gregory Hopkins to first baseman Nick Ramirez. Orlando Calixte to 3rd.
    Edul Escobar flies out to center fielder Chadwin Stang.

Kane County Top of the 3rd
    Tim Ferguson strikes out swinging.
    Justin Trapp singles on a ground ball to third baseman Brandon Macias.
    With Daniel Mateo batting, Justin Trapp steals (7) 2nd base.
    With Daniel Mateo batting, passed ball by Rafael Neda, Justin Trapp to 3rd.
    Daniel Mateo grounds out, pitcher Will West to first baseman Nick Ramirez. Justin Trapp scores.
    Jorge Bonifacio flies out to center fielder Chadwin Stang.

Kane County Top of the 4th
    Lane Adams singles on a ground ball to center fielder Chadwin Stang.
    Michael Antonio flies into double play, center fielder Chadwin Stang to first baseman Nick Ramirez. Lane Adams doubled off 1st.
    Orlando Calixte grounds out, third baseman Brandon Macias to first baseman Nick Ramirez.

Kane County Top of the 5th
    Dean Espy grounds out, second baseman Gregory Hopkins to first baseman Nick Ramirez.
    Edul Escobar grounds out, third baseman Brandon Macias to first baseman Nick Ramirez.
    Tim Ferguson singles on a bunt ground ball to third baseman Brandon Macias.
    Justin Trapp singles on a ground ball to shortstop Yadiel Rivera. Tim Ferguson to 2nd.
    Daniel Mateo singles on a ground ball to left fielder Ben McMahan. Tim Ferguson scores. Justin Trapp to 2nd.
    Jorge Bonifacio called out on strikes.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."
- Plato
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
- Plato

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 21, 2012, 3:20 PM Post

Global Moderator
For those wondering, the Dominican Summer League opened last year on May 28th.

This year, MiLB's statement recently has been that the DSL schedule has not been released because it had not been finalized.

Still nothing yet online, but we imagine the Cerveceritos are about a week away from seeing action.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 21, 2012, 5:20 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
TheCrew07 said:
Will West wasn't eye poppingly good, but I'll take it from a 19 year old his first shot at full season ball. I wasn't around much last summer so I admittedly don't know anything about him, I'm not even able to find a scouting report.

West throws in the mid 80's, primarily with a 2-seam fastball, touching the low 90's. Also throws a 4-seamer. Obviously, there's considerable upside projection there with his frame though his fastball doesn't have an abundance of natural movement. His curve is really, really good at times and is his best pitch. As with all Brewers pitchers, throws a change-up, but he's still working on it. Pounds the zone with an easy motion, delivers from the 3/4 arm slot.

I like him a lot... youngest player on the Rattlers, too. A few months younger than Rivera.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 21, 2012, 5:23 PM Post
Thanks, I figured that was the deal given his size, he just needs to pickup a mph or 2 per year and he'll be fine.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."
- Plato
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
- Plato

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 21, 2012, 9:20 PM Post
Brevard drops 11-7 slugfest to Charlotte
05/21/2012 10:01 PM ET
By Frank Longobardo / Brevard County Manatees

PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. - The Brevard County Manatees opened up their seven-game road trip with an 11-7 loss on Monday night to the Charlotte Stone Crabs at Charlotte Sports Park.

The 'Tees (17-26) fell into a big hole early as starter Brooks Hall (0-2, 5.40) allowed eight runs (seven earned) in just 1 1/3 innings of work. He gave up five hits - three of them homers - while walking four and striking out two.

Down 8-0 after two innings, the Manatees slowly started cutting the deficit in the fourth as Mike Walker drove in two with a two-out double to make it an 8-2 game. Brevard made it an 8-4 game in the sixth as both Nick Shaw and Shawn Zarraga hit solo homers in the inning.

Eric Marzec did a good job keeping the Stone Crabs (22-21) off the board after Hall's early departure, as he threw 3 2/3 scoreless innings and allowed just one hit.

After the Stone Crabs scored once in the bottom of the sixth, Brevard County made it a 9-7 game with a three-run seventh. Shea Vucinich led the inning off with a triple and was brought home two batters later on a ground out by Scott Krieger.

Franklin Romero Jr. then singled and Shaw walked to put two on with two outs. T.J. Mittelstaedt then tripled down the right field line to clear the bases and make it just a two run game. The rally ended with Cody Hawn striking out to end the seventh.

Charlotte would pull away with the game in the bottom of the eighth as they scored two insurance runs as Derek Dietrich hit a ground-rule double off of Casey Medlen with the runs being charged to the line of Greg Holle.

Though it was too little, too late, Brevard continued their recent clutch hitting as six of their seven RBI came with two outs. Also of the eight hits the Manatees had on Monday night, six of them went for extra bases.

Mittelstaedt and Walker both drove in two runs each, while Zarraga was the only Manatee with a multi-hit night as he had two hits. The Manatees didn't help their cause in the field though as they committed four errors, including two by Vucinich.

Brevard County will look to rebound on Tuesday night at 6:30 p.m. against Charlotte in the second game of their four-game set.

2011 first round draft pick Taylor Jungmann (2-3, 3.15) will take the ball for the 'Tees as he is still looking for his first win since April 10. In four road starts this season, Jungmann is 1-2 with a 3.91 ERA.

Braulio Lara (3-2, 6.00) will toe the rubber for the Stone Crabs. In three starts so far in May, Lara is 1-2 with a 10.80 ERA.

Box Score

21 year old pitcher Brooks Hall blew his season line all to heck as he was charged with 8 runs (7 earned) while recording just four outs. Hall was homer prone giving up three. BC actually made it 9-7 at one point but Greg Holle could not hold it close giving up two big runs in the 8th.

Perhaps the Manatees are starting to awaken on offense. They scored 7 runs on just 8 hits and 2 walks. Shawn Zarraga (2-4 2B HR) was the only multi-hit man. Nick Shaw slugged his first homer. Mike Walker hit a double and Shea Vucinich hit a triple. T.J. Mittelstaedt also tripled but he struck out three times.

This Charlotte squad boasts some impressive young hitters and they lived up to the billing tonight. SS Derek Dietrich, a 2010 2nd rounder, hit 22 homers in the Midwest League as a 21 year old. Then there is OF Mikie Mahtook, a 2011 1st rounder, who is starting his full season career in the FSL, much like Bradley and Jungmann. There were many who thought the Brewers would select Mahtook with the 15th pick last season. Both Dietrich and Mahtook hit 3-run bombs off of Brooks Hall tonight.

Game Log

The hope is that this is the worst line for Brooks this season.

Charlotte Bottom of the 1st

Brett Nommensen walks.
With Brandon Allen batting, throwing error by Brooks Hall on the pickoff attempt, Brett Nommensen to 2nd.
Brandon Allen walks.
Mikie Mahtook homers (1) on a fly ball to right field. Brett Nommensen scores. Brandon Allen scores.
Derek Dietrich doubles (10) on a line drive to center fielder Franklin Romero Jr.
Riccio Torrez called out on strikes.
Robby Price strikes out swinging.
With Hector Guevara batting, Derek Dietrich steals (2) 3rd base, Derek Dietrich scores. Throwing error by catcher Shawn Zarraga.
Hector Guevara walks.
Alejandro Torres grounds into a force out, shortstop Nick Shaw to second baseman Shea Vucinich. Hector Guevara out at 2nd.

Charlotte Bottom of the 2nd

Cody Rogers homers (2) on a fly ball to right field.
Brett Nommensen flies out to left fielder Scott Krieger.
Brandon Allen walks.
With Mikie Mahtook batting, passed ball by Shawn Zarraga, Brandon Allen to 2nd.
Mikie Mahtook singles on a line drive to left fielder Scott Krieger. Brandon Allen to 3rd.
Derek Dietrich homers (4) on a fly ball to right field. Brandon Allen scores. Mikie Mahtook scores.
Pitcher Change: Eric Marzec replaces Brooks Hall.
Riccio Torrez grounds out, second baseman Shea Vucinich to first baseman Michael Walker.
Robby Price flies out to center fielder Franklin Romero Jr.

Two 2B's.

Brevard County Top of the 4th

Nick Shaw flies out to left fielder Cody Rogers.
T. J. Mittelstaedt called out on strikes.
Cody Hawn walks.
Shawn Zarraga doubles (5) on a ground ball to right fielder Brett Nommensen. Cody Hawn to 3rd.
Michael Walker doubles (7) on a line drive to right fielder Brett Nommensen. Cody Hawn scores. Shawn Zarraga scores.
Shea Vucinich flies out to right fielder Brett Nommensen.

Two 3B's.

Brevard County Top of the 7th

Shea Vucinich triples (1) on a line drive to center fielder Mikie Mahtook.
Miguel Velazquez strikes out swinging.
Scott Krieger grounds out, third baseman Riccio Torrez to first baseman Brandon Allen. Shea Vucinich scores.
Franklin Romero Jr. singles on a ground ball to right fielder Brett Nommensen.
Nick Shaw walks. Franklin Romero Jr. to 2nd.
T. J. Mittelstaedt triples (5) on a line drive to right fielder Brett Nommensen. Franklin Romero Jr. scores. Nick Shaw scores.
Pitcher Change: Chris Rearick replaces Victor Mateo.
Cody Hawn strikes out swinging.

Two homeruns.

Brevard County Top of the 6th

Nick Shaw homers (1) on a fly ball to right field.
T. J. Mittelstaedt flies out to left fielder Cody Rogers.
Pitcher Change: Victor Mateo replaces Albert Suarez.
Cody Hawn grounds out, third baseman Riccio Torrez to first baseman Brandon Allen.
Shawn Zarraga homers (1) on a fly ball to right field.
Michael Walker flies out to center fielder Mikie Mahtook.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 21, 2012, 9:37 PM Post
Nine after 9 for May 21, 2012

- Plato
- Plato

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 21, 2012, 9:53 PM Post
Another extra inning game tonight, the Stars and Lookouts going to the 10th tied at 2.

- Plato
- Plato

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 21, 2012, 11:21 PM Post

Global Moderator
Brad Krause's Rattlers commentary and photos

You'll really enjoy the detailed report and audio Kyle from BrewCrewBall provides from the Wisconsin game today.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 28 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply