LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 32 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Link Report for Sat. 5/26 -- Stars and Rattlers bats' explode; Brooks Conrad, AAA Superman

Offline  Re: Link Report for Sat. 5/26 -- Listen to the kids before late night Brewers

Posted: May 26, 2012, 9:24 PM Post
Final: Huntsville 12, Birmingham 4

Huntsville Box Score
Hiram Burgos had fantastic game going through 6 innings when it looked like he ran out of gas in the 7th giving up a walk and 2 singles to start the inning before being lifted for Brandon Kintzler who then allowed all of Hiram's inherited runners to score. His line of 6IP, 6H, 1ER, 2BB, and 8SO entering the 7th looks a heck of a lot better than the 6IP, 8H, 4ER, 3BB, and 8SO line after those 3 batters in the 7th. Hiram threw 102 pitches, 61 for strikes, and posted a 4:5 GO:FO ratio. Santo Manzanillo loaded the bases in the 8th giving up a single and 2 walks after he had 2 out but got out of the inning unscathed with a strike out. Jesus Sanchez pitched a clean 9th to close out the victory.

The real story of this game was the offensive explosion in the 3rd and the Stars pounded out 14 hits over the course of the game. Every Huntsville batter recorded a hit and the top of the order was fantastic: Josh Prince went 1-3 with a HR and a walk, Tommy Manzella 2-3 with a 2B and 2BB, Scooter Gennett extended his hit streak going 1-3 with 2BB, and Hunter Morris went 2-5 with a 3B. At the bottom of the order Kentrail Davis went 2-5 and Juan Sanchez 2-4, the 8-4 hitters were on base consistently all night long. Manzella had his 2nd error (fielding), Anderson De La Rosa his 4th passed ball, but Gennett did collect an unassisted DP.

Huntsville Play By Play
After scoring 1 in the first and 2 in the 2nd, the 8 run 3rd put the game away. Enjoy!
Huntsville Bottom of the 3rd
    Domnit Bolivar singles on a soft fly ball to right fielder Jon Gaston.
    Jay Gibbons singles on a ground ball to right fielder Jon Gaston. Domnit Bolivar to 3rd.
    Anderson De La Rosa singles on a line drive to center fielder Jared Mitchell. Domnit Bolivar scores. Jay Gibbons to 2nd.
    Kentrail Davis singles on a ground ball to center fielder Jared Mitchell. Jay Gibbons scores. Anderson De La Rosa to 3rd. Kentrail Davis to 2nd on the throw.
    Pitcher Change: Nevin Griffith replaces Matt Wickswat.
    With Juan Sanchez batting, wild pitch by Nevin Griffith, Anderson De La Rosa scores. Kentrail Davis to 3rd.
    Juan Sanchez singles on a soft fly ball to center fielder Jared Mitchell. Kentrail Davis scores.
    Josh Prince grounds into a force out, second baseman Tyler Saladino to shortstop Erik Morrison. Juan Sanchez out at 2nd. Josh Prince to 1st.
    Tommy Manzella walks. Josh Prince to 2nd.
    Scooter Gennett walks. Josh Prince to 3rd. Tommy Manzella to 2nd.
    Hunter Morris triples (2) on a fly ball to center fielder Jared Mitchell. Josh Prince scores. Tommy Manzella scores. Scooter Gennett scores.
    Domnit Bolivar grounds out, third baseman Corey Smith to first baseman Seth Loman. Hunter Morris scores.
    Jay Gibbons pops out to third baseman Corey Smith.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."
- Plato
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
- Plato

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Link Report for Sat. 5/26 -- Listen to the kids before late night Brewers

Posted: May 26, 2012, 9:57 PM Post
Reynolds, Express Fall at Nashville 7-3
Sounds scored three in the first inning and never looked back
roundrockexpress.com

Nashville, Tenn. –Brooks Conrad and Jordan Brown hit back-to-back homers off Greg Reynolds in the first inning for Nashville and Round Rock never recovered as the Sounds took down the Express 7-3 in Saturday night’s Pacific Coast League action at Hershel Greer Stadium. Nashville (20-28) leads the series 2-0. Round Rock (21-29) left nine runners on base, including two in the top of the ninth inning.

Nashville began their barrage off Reynolds with one out in the bottom of the first inning as Jeff Bianchi singled to right field. Conrad, an Express infielder for parts of four seasons from 2004 through 2007, followed with a two-run homer into the left field stands. Brown followed with a solo shot to right field to put the Sounds ahead 3-0.

The Express got on the board with a run in the top of the fourth on a solo home run by Ryan Spilborghs, his second in as many days. However, Nashville answered in the bottom of the fifth as Conrad grounded into a fielder’s choice with the bases loaded to extend the Sounds’ lead to 4-1.

Round Rock notched their second run in the top of the sixth with their second solo home run of the night, this time off the bat of Brad Nelson. Then for the second time, Nashville answered. Cory Patterson led off the bottom of the sixth and was hit by a Reynolds fastball. Two batters later, Caleb Gindl and Eric Farris singled back-to-back to load the bases with one out. Martin Maldonado then knocked a single to left field to drive in Patterson. Newly acquired left-hander John Gaub relieved Reynolds and stuck out Logan Schafer for the second out. Then with Bianchi batting, Gaub threw one in the dirt and it got past Dusty Brown to allow Gindl to score to make it 6-2. Gaub then stuck out Bianchi to end the threat.

Nashville added an insurance run in the bottom of the eighth as Gindl scampered home while the E-Train rolled up a Schafer double play grounder with the bases loaded. Round Rock added another in the ninth as well. Tommy Mendonca singled home Michael Bianucci but Sounds reliever Brian Baker retired the top of the Express order to shut it down.

Mark Rogers (1-2) earned the win for the Sounds. He allowed two runs on six hits in six innings with five walks and three strikeouts.

Reynolds (3-4) got the loss for the E-Train. He allowed six runs on eight hits in five and one-third innings with two walks and five strikeouts. John Gaub made his Round Rock debut tonight after being claimed off waivers from Tampa Bay on Thursday. He pitched one and one-third shutout innings with a walk and three strikeouts.

Conrad paced the Sounds with three RBI. Bianchi, Gindl and Farris each notched a pair of hits as well.

Spilborghs led the way for Round Rock with his home run and an outfield assist in the seventh inning. Julio Borbon added three hits to extend his hitting streak to 14 games.

Round Rock continues its four-game series Sunday at Nashville. First pitch is scheduled for 2:05 p.m. CDT. Left-hander Michael Kirkman (3-1, 6.25 ERA) is scheduled to start for the Express opposite Sounds right-hander Wily Peralta (1-5, 5.63 ERA).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 26, 2012, 10:02 PM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
The teams continue the series on Sunday afternoon with a 2:05 p.m. matinee. Right-hander Wily Peralta (1-5, 5.63) will man the bump for the Sounds to face Round Rock southpaw Michael Kirkman (3-1, 6.25).

Mike Fiers won't be in a Brewer uniform until Tuesday, but gotta believe he'll be in L.A. Monday to begin going over Dodger scouting reports, right?

Yes, all speculation for now, but logical, right?

The fact they haven't announced anything yet either is just keeping the Dodgers unprepared or means Tyler Thornburg is still in the mix. Stars off Sunday, does Tyler get on the bus to Tennessee?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 26, 2012, 10:30 PM Post
TheCrew07 said:
Well the news about Arcia just stinks, another of my personal favorites out of action this year, I'm like the Madden cover or something.

On the flip side have a night Gregory Hopkins, he is already 3-3 with 2HR and a 2B, a performance too good to wait to discuss until the recap.

I posted no less than 5 minutes ago how excited I was for rookie ball to see how Arcia could perform stateside this year. At age 17, you're so far away, but still, his exceptional play at age 16 in the DSL last year was really encouraging. Rivera hopefully develops, but Arcia looks like the stronger candidate to become a star SS.

Now getting to rookie ball at age 18(and who knows, if he performs well in instructional and plays well this winter, he could wind up in Wisconsin next year to open the season) obviously still gives you a LONG time to develop, but still...we need him to come along as quickly as his ability will allow.

Maybe the Brewers should just play the rest of the season with TWO second basemen and use an exaggerated shift at every level. Seems like anyone with the title of Shortstop this year is just cursed.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 26, 2012, 11:16 PM Post
Nine after 9 for May 26, 2012

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."
- Plato
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
- Plato

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Link Report for Sat. 5/26 -- Stars and Rattlers bats' explode; Brooks Conrad, AAA Superman

Posted: May 26, 2012, 11:27 PM Post
Thinking Selfishly... Since Arcia won't play stateside this year, does that mean it will prevent his "years till needs to be on the 40" clock from starting for another year?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2012, 5:04 AM Post

Global Moderator
Peoria Star Newspaper Story --

But Peoria starter Gerardo Concepcion had no answer for Wisconsin second baseman Greg Hopkins, who homered twice and doubled in the game’s first run against the lefty.

“Something clicked,” Hopkins said. “I just went out and had some good at-bats and had some fun.”

Also at that link, despite an 11-3 loss, you'll see video highlights of positive Chiefs' plays.

And read the link to see who is joining the Cubs' affiliate later in this series.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2012, 5:16 AM Post

Global Moderator
Offensive Barrage Leads Stars to Victory

HUNTSVILLE, Ala.- The Huntsville Stars offense exploded with a season-high in runs and 14 hits as they took the series finale with the Birmingham Barons by a score of 12-4 at Joe Davis Stadium on Saturday night.

The bats broke out for Huntsville early, as center fielder Josh Prince homered on the third pitch he saw to lead off the game for the Stars. Then in the second inning, a two-run double by shortstop Tommy Manzella gave Huntsville a 3-0 lead.

In the third inning, the Stars offense skyrocketed. Beginning with five straight singles to lead off the frame, Huntsville ended up sending 11 batters to the plate and scoring eight runs when all was said and done. The scoring began with RBI singles from catcher Anderson De La Rosa, right fielder Kentrail Davis and left fielder Juan Sanchez off of Birmingham starter Eric Wickswat. De La Rosa scored on a wild pitch from Barons reliever Nevin Griffith. Then, with the bases loaded, first baseman Hunter Morris delivered a three-run triple to give the Stars a commanding 11-0 lead.

The run support was plenty for Stars starter Hiram Burgos, who earned the first Double-A win of his career after giving up four runs in six-plus innings of work. The 24-year-old righty improved to 1-1 on the season while striking out eight batters, tying his season-high with the Stars.

Aside from Burgos, relievers Brandon Kintzler, Santo Manzanillo and Jesus Sanchez each had scoreless innings.

For Birmingham, first baseman Seth Loman went 3-for-5 with a solo home run off of Burgos in the sixth inning and three RBI. Center fielder Jared Mitchell also went 3-for-3 and walked twice.

On offense for the Stars, Manzella, Morris and Davis each had two hits. Second baseman Scooter Gennett also went 1-for-3, increasing his hitting-streak to ten games.

After winning four-out-of-five against Birmingham, the Stars will hit the road to Kodak, Tennessee on Monday to begin a five-game series with the Tennessee Smokies (Cubs). First pitch is at 6:15 CT.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2012, 5:30 AM Post

Global Moderator
For MiLB.TV subscribers, a reminder that the upcoming Huntsville series against the Cubs' Tennessee affiliate will be video-streamed online.

That would include Tyler Thornburg's (likely) next start (Tuesday or Wednesday depending on how the staff uses Sunday's day off, probably Wednesday), conveniently scheduled before a West Coast Brewers game.

Also in the Southern League, the number of teams online now has doubled from two to four, with Mississippi and Pensacola joining the fray.

Remember that all Sounds games and all Rattlers home games are video-streamed.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2012, 5:34 AM Post

Global Moderator
Sounds' Conrad continues power surge
Brewers farmhand has homered in four straight, eight of nine
By Sam Dykstra / Special to MLB.com

Sometimes adjustments of mere fractions of inches can produce substantial much more substantial results.

That's the case for Brooks Conrad, who homered for the fourth straight game Saturday as the Triple-A Nashville Sounds defeated the Round Rock Express, 7-3.

The 31-year-old switch-hitter has gone yard in eight of his last nine contests, totaling 22 RBIs during that stretch. He had homered only twice in his 12 previous games for the Brewers' top affiliate and failed to hit a longball during a 13-game stint with Milwaukee.

"It's something I haven't ever done," Conrad said. "But you know, I'm staying on the ball better, I'm seeing the ball better and it's turning into results."

The big difference? A small change in the way he holds the bat.

After going 0-for-21 during his stay in the Majors from May 4-19, Conrad knew something wasn't quite right at the plate. So he went to work with Sounds hitting coach Al LeBoeuf, trying to correct the problem.

"When I came back down, my Triple-A hitting coach turned it around right away and identified something I could work on," Conrad said. "It's just the way I'm holding my hands. We made an adjustment there that keeps me shorter to the ball, allows me to identify pitches better."

But Conrad also did not let himself off the hook quite so easily in blaming the juxtaposition of his Major League struggles with his Minor League triumph on a technical issue.

"It's two different levels as well," he said. "At the big league level, you make a mistake and you're popping balls up and that's the end of your at-bat. You're not going to get many pitches to hit, either, so everything that you're doing wrong gets magnified."

Conrad signed a Minor League deal with the Brewers in January after parting ways with the Braves, the team that gave him his first chance to become a full-time Major Leaguer. The infielder earned the nickname "Clutch Conrad" during the 2010 season in Atlanta for his late-inning heroics.

"I played against [the Brewers] a number of times over the past couple years and I gained a huge amount of respect for the way they go about their business," he said. "The whole team hustles, gets after it, slides into second base, plays scrappy baseball. I thought it'd be nice to be on their side because whenever we faced them, we had to pitch our best to win.

"When they called in the offseason, I thought, 'Yeah, that'd be a good fit,' and wanted to be part of the team."

But everything didn't go according to plan. Conrad lost out on the final utility spot to Travis Ishikawa after hitting .204 (11-for-54) in Spring Training. After being recalled early this month as a replacement for the injured Mat Gamel, he still didn't hit.

Conrad, however, remains optimistic about his chances the rest of the season, especially given his recent power surge.

"I'm happy to still have a job, no matter where it is," he said. "All you can do is ask for a shot somewhere, and I'm glad to have that. I'd obviously love to help the big club at some point, but I'm really enjoying myself. The entire organization has been tremendous."

Brooks Conrad has totaled 22 RBIs over his last nine games. (Mike Strasinger/Nashville Sounds)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 27, 2012, 5:54 AM Post

Global Moderator
Rattlers with a three-game division lead in the first-half race now, and the Stars just a game out of first -- nice!

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Link Report for Sat. 5/26 -- Stars and Rattlers bats' explode; Brooks Conrad, AAA Superman

Posted: May 27, 2012, 6:25 AM Post
Vinny's Beloit season was quite special. I really thought he was going to catch on as the near perfect bench player. Very versatile and a bat that wouldn't really play at the corners well as a starter, but was still respectable. And for a bench player he was patient enough to not get exposed as a free swinger, but generally liked to swing and hit for average.

Last fun fact Vinny's RBI total might belong up there in the pantheon of great one-offs. Despite being fairly consistent throughout his career with the slash line he has only had 1 other seasons were he passed half way to that 124 RBI total! 70 RBI's in 2010 is his next highest total.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 32 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply