LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 27 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Link Report for Thurs. 6/14

Offline  Re: Link Report for Thurs. 6/14

Posted: June 15, 2012, 6:35 AM Post
Brevard County 2 Daytona (Cubs) 1 Finished early

Tedaldtada said:
Box Score

The 2nd BC game has been delayed shortly after the Manatees took the lead in the top of the 8th. Game sits at 2-1 Manatees. Reggie Keen has 3 hits in G2 giving him 5 in the last 2. He also stole his 22nd base. Michael Reed has a 1B in 3 trips. No one else has a hit besides those two guys.

Brian Garman, Eric Marzec and Greg Holle have pitched a great game thus far with 7 IP 6 H 1 R 1 ER 6 K 1 HR and a 12:2 GO:FO.

Game Log

Sparkplug Wunderkid (aka Michael Reed)

Brevard County Top of the 8th

Michael Reed singles on a line drive to center fielder John Andreoli.
Franklin Romero Jr. hit by pitch. Michael Reed to 2nd.
Nick Shaw hits a sacrifice bunt. Throwing error by third baseman Greg Rohan. Michael Reed scores. Franklin Romero Jr. to 3rd. Nick Shaw to 2nd.
Reggie Keen lines out to pitcher Scott Weismann.

Let's see if this one gets completed tonight.

So they just called this one after 8 1/2 innings. Great sweep for the 'Tees.

No game story posted as of now for either game.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 15, 2012, 6:48 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Schafer's bat heating up for Sounds
by Greg Sullivan, The Tennessean

On the most recent Sounds roadtrip, center fielder Logan Schafer couldn’t stop getting hits.

The 25-year-old prospect led the Pacific Coast League with a .593 average (16-for-27) over the recent seven-game trip that ended Wednesday. In Thursday’s home game, he was 0-for-4 with a strikeout.

“To be honest, I think I’ve been swinging the same as I have since April but, yeah, balls are starting to find holes,” said Schafer, who was recently dropped to the third spot in the batting order from leadoff.

“I love hitting with people on base,” Schafer said. “I welcome the challenge.”

“His average will tell you he’s hitting a lot better, hitting the ball to all fields, staying within himself”, Sounds Manager Mike Guerrero said. “He’s a line-drive hitter who occasionally hits the long ball. He’s coming around.”

Schafer has raised his average to .295 after a slow start and has five home runs. He is hitting .419 (18-for-43) in 12 games batting third.

Nashville Brewers: The Sounds have sent 10 players to Milwaukee this season, but this weekend Nashville will be playing host to a group of rehabbing Brewers for the first time.

Brewers right-hander Marco Estrada, who is rehabbing a right quadriceps strain, is scheduled to start for the Sounds on Saturday against the Storm Chasers. Brewers first baseman Travis Ishikawa (left oblique strain) and shortstop Cesar Izturis (left hamstring) are also expected to play in this weekend’s series, Guerrero said.

From the majors: Sounds reliever Vinnie Chulk has lots of stories from the big leagues, but his best is easily the one of his major-league debut at Yankee Stadium in 2003.

Chulk, then a Blue Jay, jogged from the bullpen to make his first appearance but he left the bullpen a little too early.

“I got caught in the middle of left field, ‘God Bless America’ starts and my legs start shaking,” Chulk said. “And I’m like, ‘Just keep it together.’ Telling myself to keep it together the whole time, not even thinking about pitching, just trying to stay up on my feet.

“Finally it ended and I got to run in. I think I sprinted as fast as I could to the mound, threw some warmup pitches and got on with the inning.

“I ended up throwing two innings. Well, I almost hit (Derek) Jeter in the head by accident. That probably would have ended up being the worst thing of my career, but I put it together and got some outs.”

Tennessee’s trophy: The new I-40 Cup was in the Sounds’ press box on Thursday night. The two-foot-tall, silver trophy presented by the Tennessee Education Lottery will go to the winner of the Nashville-Memphis season series beginning this year.

Nashville has a 2-1 lead for the Cup after winning its first road series this season against the Redbirds with Wednesday’s 5-4 win. The two teams will meet 12 more times this season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 15, 2012, 6:52 AM Post

Global Moderator
STARS COMEBACK FALLS SHORT, DROP NINTH STRAIGHT

HUNTSVILLE, Ala.- In a game where they took a six-run deficit and made it into a tied ballgame in the eighth inning, the Huntsville Stars (33-34) ultimately fell to the Montgomery Biscuits (35-30) by a final score of 9-7 on Thursday night at Joe Davis Stadium.

The Stars got on the board first in the third inning. Center fielder Josh Prince drew a walk and stole second to get in scoring position. Shortstop Tommy Manzella singled up the middle to plate Prince and put the Stars up 1-0.

Huntsville starter Dan Merklinger threw a gem in his spot start, holding the Biscuits scoreless through three innings. Reliever R.J Seidel came in in the fourth and gave up a two-out single and he left the runner stranded. The fifth inning was a different story. Montgomery sent nine batters to the plate against the 24-year-old righty in the inning. Overall, the Biscuits scored five runs highlighted by an RBI single by catcher Matt Thomas, a two-run single by left fielder Omar Luna and a RBI groundout by first baseman Michael Sheridan to take a commanding four-run advantage.

Then, with Stars reliever Darren Byrd on the mound, a two-run double by right fielder Brett Nommensen gave Montgomery a steady 7-1 lead.

However, Huntsville would not go down without a fight. With a pair of two-run home runs by catcher Anderson De La Rosa and center fielder Josh Prince, the Stars cut their deficit to two by the end of the seventh.

In the eighth inning, the Stars were able to make it a brand new ballgame. After a lead-off double by second baseman Scooter Gennett, an RBI single from first baseman Hunter Morris made the score 7-6. Following back-to-back singles by right fielder Kentrail Davis and De La Rosa that would load the bases, a sacrifice fly by designated hitter Domnit Bolivar scored Morris to tie up the ballgame.

The tie would not last for long though. In the top half of the ninth inning, the Biscuits loaded the bases against Stars reliever Brandon Kintzler. Then, with one out, a Mark Thomas grounder caused a throwing error by Gennett while trying to turn an inning-ending double play that helped plate the final two runs of the ballgame.

For Montgomery, LHP Frank De Los Santos pitched a scoreless ninth inning to improve to 4-1 on the season.

For Huntsville, Kintzler took the loss to fall to 0-1 on the year. The Stars bullpen as a whole gave up all nine runs on the night after Merklinger began the game. The loss was the Stars season-high ninth straight of the season and ties their longest streak dating back to 2009.

On offense, both Manzella and De La Rosa had three hits apiece. Manzella is now 7-for-9 at the plate through the first two games of the series.

On Friday, the Stars will face off against Biscuits LHP Kyle Lobstein (3-2, 4.15 ERA). First pitch is at 6:43 p.m.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 15, 2012, 7:04 AM Post

Global Moderator
Daytona Cubs drop 2 games; Manatees win suspended game
By ROB ULLERY, Daytona News Journal Staff Writer

DAYTONA BEACH -- The Brevard County Manatees may be praying for rain every game.

Showers and thunderstorms wrecked havoc on two games against the Daytona Cubs, but they walked away with a 7-3 victory in the completion of a suspended game Thursday and a 2-1 victory in the nightcap of a game called because of unplayable field conditions at Jackie Robinson Ballpark.

One game took two days and the other game -- tied after its scheduled seven innings -- was called in the top of the eighth, and in total there were four rain delays and one suspension. But it all equaled two victories for the Manatees (29-37).

The first game began Wednesday at Space Coast Stadium, but was suspended because of thunderstorms with the Manatees up 3-1 after three innings. The game resumed in Daytona Beach, becoming part of a twinbill with another game already scheduled for Thursday.

The Cubs quickly erased the Manatees' 3-1 lead with runs in each of the fourth and fifth innings. Rubi Silva scored on Richard Jones' single in the fourth inning and Arismendy Alcantara scored on a Silva bases-loaded groundout to first base in the fifth.

But the Manatees put the game out of reach in the sixth. They parlayed three hits and an error into three unearned runs for a 6-3 lead they would never relinquish. Cody Hawn hit a two-out single, then Joey Paciorek reached an on error. Hawn scored on Brent Dean's single, Paciorek on a bases-loaded walk and Dean on Reggie Keen's single.

The Manatees added an insurance run in the seventh when Shea Vucinich drew a walk, moved to second on an errant pickoff throw and scored on Paciorek's single.

"The first game we just made some mistakes that hurt us," manager Brian Harper said.

The Cubs bounced back in the nightcap. P.J. Francescon got the starting nod and pitched a two-hit shutout over five innings, but would not get the win.

Micah Gibbs, who came into the games hitting .241, blasted a one-out home run over the right-center field fence in the fourth inning. Having already gone 1-for-3 in the first game, he added a double and would go 2-for-3 in the nightcap.

"Gibbs is swinging the bat well," Harper said. "He really drove that ball to right-center."

But Brevard County's Keen tied things up when he drove a triple to right-center field with a man on in the sixth. That would send the game into extra innings as the rains returned.

The Manatees pulled ahead in the top of the eighth when Michael Reed led off with a single, went to second when Franklin Romero Jr. was hit by a pitch and scored on an error. Cubs third baseman Greg Rohan tried to throw out Romero at third on a sacrifice bunt attempt, but threw wildly into left field.

The Cubs never got to bat in the eighth as heavy rains pelted the field. The rains would ease around 11:15 p.m. and the grounds crew worked frantically to try to get the field ready, but the game was finally called at 11:30 p.m.

"I wasn't sure if it would just be suspended or if it would be canceled or what," Harper said. "In that second game we had our opportunities and we didn't collect on them."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 15, 2012, 7:28 AM Post

Global Moderator
Catching up on Nashville video from the Memphis series:

Jordan Brown connects on a two-run shot off Shelby Miller in the Sounds' 10-4 win last Monday

Corey Patterson hits a two-out double in the sixth inning of the Sounds' 2-0 loss Tuesday

Jason Jaramillo homers to right scoring Corey Patterson in the Sounds' 5-4 win Wednesday

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 15, 2012, 9:31 AM Post

Global Moderator
Deadspin: Heavy Wind Nearly Propels Grounds Crew Worker Into Orbit

One of the Link Report's best friends in the organization -- glad you're OK, Kyle!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 15, 2012, 9:33 AM Post

Global Moderator
Rattler Radio Blog: Nine after 9

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 27 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply