LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 26 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Link Report for Sat. 6/16

Offline  Re: Link Report for Sat. 6/16 -- Brewer day game, listen to evening audio here

Posted: June 17, 2012, 2:45 AM Post

I absolutly loved the Jeremy Jeffress pick when we made it. He posted an 135.00 ERA on the evening.

Funny how often people love the picks that work out and hated the ones who didn't. I know one in particular that had written off Jungman as another Jimmy Nelson last year.
But I'm with you. I loved a guy who could throw 100 MPH and was a great athlete. The pot smoking never bothered me either.
I wasn't fan of the Lawrie pick(which is ironic as I think it'll go down as the worst trade we've ever made in about 10-15 years and DO believe he will have peak years as good as Braun's.

I also loved the Fredrickson pick, Lintz...Gwynn...

I don't get Jeffress though. He seemed ready to go as at least a 7th inning guy several weeks ago.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Link Report for Sat. 6/16 -- Brewer day game, listen to evening audio here

Posted: June 17, 2012, 4:24 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
STARS OFFENSE SILENCED BY BISCUITS

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - After plating two runs in the first inning, the Huntsville Stars (34-35) were shutout in their final eight innings on Saturday night, losing to the Montgomery Biscuits (36-31) by a score of 7-2 at Joe Davis Stadium.

Following Montgomery plating two runs in the top of the first on a RBI single by Omar Luna and a RBI double by first baseman Ryan Garko off of Stars starter Kyle Heckathorn, the Huntsville offense was up to the challenge to respond.

Center fielder Josh Prince walked and shortstop Tommy Manzella followed with a single. They successfully executed a double-steal to begin the inning when a two-run single by first baseman Hunter Morris plated both of them to tie the game.

Unfortunately, that was all the offense the Stars would be able to manage. Over the final eight innings, Huntsville was held scoreless by a combination of starter Joseph Cruz, RHP Scott Shuman, RHP Marquis Fleming, and RHP Kirby Yates to roll to a victory. Cruz improved to 4-6 on the season by giving up those two early runs on five hits through five innings pitched.

For Montgomery, they got their eventual game-winning run on a RBI single by center fielder Ty Morrison. The Biscuits also got two runs in both the eighth and ninth inning off of Stars relievers Dan Meadows and Brandon Kintzler respectively.

Heckathorn fell to 2-6 on the year with the loss. The former supplemental first round draft pick, who turns 24 on Sunday, gave up just three runs (two earned) on six hits through six innings of work. Heckathorn hasn’t won a start since May 8th against Jackson.

On offense, the Stars were held to three hits over the last eight innings. Overall, Huntsville has now lost 10 of their last 11 games.

The finale of a five-game series with the Biscuits and the first half of the Southern League season will take place on Sunday with a Father's Day special. Huntsville will send RHP Hiram Burgos (1-1, 2.80 ERA) to the mound to square off against Montgomery’s RHP Matt Buschmann (2-2, 3.63 ERA). First pitch is at 1:03 PM.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 17, 2012, 4:37 AM Post

Global Moderator
The Post-Crescent with a stat-line profile for each of the seven Timber Rattlers in the All-Star Game

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 17, 2012, 5:39 AM Post

Global Moderator
If you come to the Link Report via Twitter directly only, do remember that our Minor League Forum consists of other detailed threads as well.

Make sure you check out Sunday morning's extra-thorough Helena coverage here.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Link Report for Sat. 6/16

Posted: June 17, 2012, 7:54 AM Post
Josh Prince is definitely having his best offensive season ever, though you might be able to make an argument that his performance in the FSL wasn't that bad, since it is the FSL. I've been pretty uninterested in Prince, but is it possible they move him back to SS? His current line would look pretty nice at the big league level right now. As a CFer though there are just too many other bodies to think he can out compete them. One big advantage for him might be as a super utility guy. Get on base, work counts and being able to back-up middle infield and OF is a pretty solid profile even if the team might worry about error totals on a regular basis at SS.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Link Report for Sat. 6/16

Posted: June 17, 2012, 10:27 PM Post

Global Moderator
7-2 loss, but Stars video highlights

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 26 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply