LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 27 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Link Report for Thurs. 6/21 -- Stars and Manatees Start 2nd Half Seasons on High Notes

Offline  Re: Link Report for Thurs. 6/21 -- Maryvale Joins in the Fun

Posted: June 22, 2012, 3:45 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Sounds notebook
by Greg Sullivan, The Tennessean

Brewers prized pitching prospect Tyler Thornburg will join the Sounds today in Nashville, but plenty in the Sounds clubhouse were already talking about the 23-year-old right-hander and his unorthodox delivery on Thursday.

“He’s got a little bit of (Tim) Lincecum in (his delivery), but he’s got some Robb Nenn in there, too, and some other people. He’s unique,” Sounds pitching coach Fred Dabney said. “We’re excited.”

The Milwaukee Brewers promoted Thornburg from Double-A Huntsville to make a surprise major-league debut on Tuesday. He missed the Southern League All-Star Game to make the spot start for the Brewers.

He will make his Sounds debut with a start Sunday in Albuquerque.

The Brewers’ No. 4 prospect got a standing ovation after he was pulled from Tuesday’s start at Miller Park. After a strong start, the former Charleston Southern player allowed five runs and received a no-decision after running into trouble in the sixth inning.

“I would much rather this (outing) have happened than not happened,” Thornburg told MLB.com following his debut. “Now I can go back to Triple-A and work on some things that I need to do up here.”

Thornburg was 8-1 record with a 3.00 ERA and 71 strikeouts in 75 innings for Huntsville.

“He did well (against the Blue Jays). He kept us in the ballgame, but he also found out when you make mistakes up there, (batters) don’t miss ‘em,” Brewers executive Dan O’Brien said with a smile.

O’Brien has been in Nashville this week observing the Sounds.

“But this is a situation where he’s earned this (promotion) by virtue of how he’s pitched,” O’Brien said. “I think he’s just going to carry it forward from here. There’s a pretty good probability of that because he’s got three above-average pitches. On top of that, he’s a very good competitor. All of that says you’re going to enjoy what you see.”

“I played with him in Huntsville for a month and he impressed me,” said Sounds shortstop Jeff Bianchi. “He attacked the hitters, attacked the strike zone. He had a perfect game into the eighth (this April). He deserves this. He’s made it.”

Gibbons finds power: After a lack of power to start the season, Sounds slugger Jay Gibbons seems to have rediscovered his home-run swing.

The former major league slugger hit his fifth home run in nine games in the fourth inning on Thursday against Oklahoma City after starting the spurt with his first homer of the season on June 13.

“I think anywhere, minor leagues, major leagues…I don’t think I’d ever gone so long into a season without a homer,” Gibbons said prior to Thursday’s game. “I was starting to doubt myself there a little bit. I’m glad I hit a couple so I feel like I can still play this game.”

Gibbons has 127 major-league homers in parts of nine seasons.

It might get loud: Sounds first baseman Jordan Brown said he ran into a big White Stripes fan on the diamond in the first game of last Saturday’s doubleheader against the Omaha Royals in Nashville. First-base umpire Kellen Levy is a fan of the rock band.

Levy pointed into the third row of seats at Greer Stadium near the first-base dugout, as Brown jogged onto the field. Seated there was musician Jack White, who lives in Franklin, taking in a game.

“The umpire goes, ‘That’s Jack White. I can’t help myself, that’s Jack White.’ I said, ‘Yeah, that’s definitely Jack White,’ ” Brown said. “I feel like this is a city where you see a bunch of different musicians, but it’s tough to mistake Jack White.”

It may be the last White spotting for awhile, the local rocker, who released a solo album in April, is currently touring in Europe and follows that with tours of Australia and the US.

Is that Thunder?: The Oklahoma City RedHawks, who wrap up a four-game series with the Sounds today, have been more than a bit overshadowed on the Sooner State’s sports scene so far this summer.

But RedHawks manager and former Sound Tony DeFrancesco said there are no hard feelings about the Oklahoma City Thunder advancing so deeply in the NBA Playoffs. The RedHawks had a nine-game winning streak snapped earlier this month.

“No, no. The Thunder deserve all the attention. It’s a great story. They really brought the whole state together. I had a chance to go to a playoff game myself and see what it’s about,” DeFrancesco said. “I’m a big Thunder fan myself right now.”

Clemens connection: When former star major league pitcher Roger Clemens was acquitted Monday of all charges in his lengthy perjury trial stemming from accusations of using performance-enhancing drugs, it meant a huge sigh of relief for one former RedHawk.

Clemens’ eldest son Koby Clemens, 25, is currently playing in the Blue Jays’ organization but played first base all of last season for Oklahoma City.

“I know it bothered Koby probably all last season, his family life, but he didn’t show it. He was a good kid, very professional, and I really enjoyed having him,” DeFrancesco said. “He went out every day and competed. (The decision) is good for the whole family. It’s good for baseball. Koby’s a good guy. The family’s good people. They were around a lot last year and we wish them well.”

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 22, 2012, 3:57 AM Post

Global Moderator
As per the Jackson game story, Huntsville RHP Evan Anundsen is scheduled to come off the disabled list to make the start Friday. The Stars will not need to make a corresponding move.

Davis' Homer Sinks Generals
Huntsville is 7-4 against the Generals this season
by Chris Harris, Jackson Generals

JACKSON, TENN. (JUNE 21, 2012) - The Generals dropped the opener in the second half Thursday at Pringles Park, in front of 3,071, 4-3. A ninth inning home run by former Tennessee Vol star Kentrail Davis spoiled a 3-run comeback by Jackson. The Generals are 4-7 against Huntsville in 2012. The Stars are the only team in the league with a winning record against Jackson.

For the third straight game, the Generals started out allowing runs in the first inning. The Stars' Tommy Manzella reached on a single to left field and scored on a single from Huntsville native Hunter Morris. Scott Krieger capped off the inning with his first home run of the season, making the score 3-0.

After being hit by a pitch, Eric Campbell tallied the Generals' first run in the third inning making it 3-1 thanks to a single by Leury Bonilla.

Campbell scored his second run of the night in the fifth inning on a single to left field from Stefen Romero. The RBI was Romero's first since being promoted from Advanced-A High Desert on Thursday.

In the seventh inning, Campbell scored his third run of the night as Bonilla reached base on a fielder's choice to tie the game at 3-3.

Davis broke the tie in the ninth inning with a home run over the right field wall. The solo shot was Davis' first of the year and the eventual game-winning run.

Romero went 2-for-4 in his Double-A debut, picking up a double in the process. Kalian Sams also had two hits in the game.

Generals' starter Steve Garrison tossed 7.0 innings, allowing 9 hits and 3 earned runs while striking out five. Newly-promoted General RHP Jonathan Arias was given the loss after allowing Davis' homer in the ninth inning.

Huntsville's Mitch Stetter received the win in front of 3,071 at Pringles Park. Jesus Sanchez earned his 8th save of the year after pitching a perfect ninth inning.

The Generals continue their 5-game series with Huntsville on Friday night, with first pitch set for 7:05 p.m. RHP Forrest Snow (0-1, 1.59) takes the hill for Jackson against RHP Evan Anundsen (4-3, 3.30) for Huntsville.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 22, 2012, 4:15 AM Post

Global Moderator
Nice to see the Stars and Manatees foil the respective league first-half champs and give them a taste of last place after one night.

Brevard's win was just the Manatees second in 10 meetings against Dunedin this season.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Link Report for Thurs. 6/21 -- Stars and Manatees Start 2nd Half Seasons on High Notes

Posted: June 22, 2012, 4:24 AM Post

Global Moderator
Helena game summary via the Great Falls' site:

The Great Falls Voyagers (3-1) completed the home sweep of the Helena Brewers (1-3) Thursday night at Centene Stadium. The Voyagers were led by a strong pitching performance - allowing only four Brewers hits - from a pair of hurlers and an offense that scattered enough hits to take the win.

For the first time this season, the Voyagers didn't score first. Helped by three Voyager errors, the Brewers scored a pair of unearned runs off Voyager starter Cory McGinnis (0-0) in the second inning. The Voyagers got one run back in the bottom of the second as DJ Jarrad extended his hitting streak to four games. The Voyagers then took the lead in the third with two more runs off starter Lorenzo Leonard (0-0).

The Brewers tied the game moments later in the fourth with the only earned run allowed by McGinnis. Emmanuel Quiles blasted a pitch out of the park to left field for his first home run of the season to knot the contest at three. The run cost McGinnis the chance to earn the win as he left the game with the score still tied, but he still finished with just one earned run allowed in five innings along with four strikeouts.

The Voyagers were able to break the stalemate in the sixth as Abe Ruiz and Yoandy Barroso singled and doubled to start the frame - one of Barroso's four hits on the night - and Justin Jirschele's RBI pushed across Ruiz. Barroso scored on a passed ball, and the Voyagers went to the late innings with a 5-3 lead.

Lefty Ryan Bollinger (1-0) had entered the game in the sixth and was in-line for the win after the scoring. The southpaw from Mound, Minnesota (they always produce pitchers) completely silenced the Brewers for the final four innings, allowing no runs on only one hit.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Link Report for Thurs. 6/21 -- Stars and Manatees Start 2nd Half Seasons on High Notes

Posted: June 22, 2012, 4:37 AM Post

Global Moderator
I had a huge "Mallory" crush as a teen, so this was an easy link from the Rattler Radio blog.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 22, 2012, 6:02 AM Post

Global Moderator
Tyler Thornburg is minorleagueball.com's Prospect of the Day profile

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 22, 2012, 8:53 AM Post
Former West Bend West (maybe East?) star Paul Hoenecke with a nice game against Maryvale...4-5 with a HR and 4 RBI.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 27 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply