LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 34 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Link Report for Fri. 6/22 -- Logan Schafer Plays Baseball Really Well; So Far the Rookie-Level Clubs Don't

Offline  Re: Link Report for Fri. 6/22 -- Logan Schafer Plays Baseball Really Well

Posted: June 22, 2012, 11:57 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
@Jackson 7, Huntsville 4

Huntsville Box
A slow but steady offensive attack from Jackson tonight saw them score in 5 different innings en route to the win. Stars starter Evan Anundsen battled his way through 5 IP, allowing 11 H and 4 R (all earned)... along with a WP and a balk. The Generals didn't let up once they'd chased Huntsville's starter; reliever Santo Manzanillo issued a walk and a two-run blast in his inning of work, and R.J. Seidel allowed one run on three hits over the final two innings.

DH Scott Krieger led the Stars with three hits (all singles), and he finished 3-4. C Anderson De La Rosa went 2-3 with one 2B, two RBI, and a HBP. 1B Hunter Morris tacked on another double (25) to his Southern League-leading tally, and finished 2-5 with one RBI. 2B Scooter Gennett and CF Josh Prince both went 1-5 with singles. LF Lee Haydel added an RBI via sac fly in the 4th inning.

Huntsville PbP
De La Rosa's double in the 6th inning was the centerpiece of the Stars' best offensive frame:

Huntsville Top of the 6th
-Hunter Morris strikes out swinging.
-Scott Krieger singles on a line drive to right fielder Chih-Hsien Chiang.
-Kentrail Davis walks. Scott Krieger to 2nd.
-Pitcher Change: Moises Hernandez replaces Forrest Snow.
-Anderson De La Rosa doubles (6) on a line drive to left fielder Chris Pettit. Scott Krieger scores. Kentrail Davis scores.
-Lee Haydel grounds out, second baseman Stefen Romero to first baseman Eric Campbell. Anderson De La Rosa to 3rd.
-Juan Sanchez pops out to first baseman Eric Campbell in foul territory.

Huntsville Gameday

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Link Report for Fri. 6/22 -- Logan Schafer Plays Baseball Really Well; So Far the Rookie-Level Clubs Don't

Posted: June 23, 2012, 12:11 AM Post
AZL Athletics 18, AZL Brewers 2

Arizona Box Score
The second game of the season down in Arizona didn't really go to plan. I feel like I wrote that last night as well. Daniel Keller and Austin Hall had nothing going on tonight. Their combined final line was 4 IP 16 runs (13 earned) on 16 hits, 4 walks and 5 strikeouts.

Offensively, nothing until the 9th inning. Jose Pena and Jalen Harris had an RBI single apiece. In his professional debut Taylor Smith-Brennan got on base twice. Dustin Houle collected his first professional hit. I think Pena and Malcolm Dowell are going to be a pretty intriguing outfield pairing; they both had a base hit.

Arizona PbP
The long bright spot of the night.

AZL Brewers Top of the 9th
Pitcher Change: Derek Hansen replaces Cody Kurz.
Jose Sermo doubles (1) on a fly ball to left fielder Luis Baez.
Deivi Mejia strikes out swinging.
Jose Garcia singles on a ground ball to left fielder Luis Baez. Jose Sermo scores.
With Jose Pena batting, wild pitch by Derek Hansen, Jose Garcia to 2nd.
Jose Pena grounds out, pitcher Derek Hansen to first baseman Michael Soto. Jose Garcia to 3rd.
Jalen Harris singles on a ground ball to third baseman Luis Osorio. Jose Garcia scores.
With Taylor Smith-Brennan batting, wild pitch by Derek Hansen, Jalen Harris to 2nd.
Taylor Smith-Brennan walks. Wild pitch by pitcher Derek Hansen. Jalen Harris to 3rd.
Alan Sharkey grounds out, pitcher Derek Hansen to first baseman Michael Soto.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Link Report for Fri. 6/22 -- Logan Schafer Plays Baseball Really Well

Posted: June 23, 2012, 4:34 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Maddox powers Mustangs past Brewers
by Amber Kuehn, Helena Independent Record

No amount of bad memories could deter Robert Maddox on Friday night.

The Billings first baseman may have struggled mightily at Kindrick Legion Field a year ago, but he rewrote the past with each swing of his bat in the Mustangs’ 9-4 victory over the Brewers.

Maddox took a high curveball from Helena starter Brent Suter and sent it sailing over the right-field wall to tie the game in the second inning. He slammed another home run in the Mustangs’ momentum-changing, six-run sixth inning, that one a two-run blast off of reliever Tyler Wagner.

And he was all smiles after the game.

“All you can do is laugh about it,” said Maddox, who went 3 for 4 with 3 RBIs in his return to Helena and the ballpark that haunted him last season. He batted below .100 through his first five games at Kindrick last year (2 for 21), and admittedly had it on his mind coming back here this weekend.

“I know I struggled here last year and I know it’s cliché, but it’s a new year,” he said. “I have a lot better focus and approach at the plate now and that’s gonna carry over no matter where we play. That said, this is the ballpark I really want to do well in, just because of my previous average.

“So yeah, I had a little more focus. I wanted to quiet the crowd today, and we did that as a team overall.”

The 879 fans in attendance witnessed some strong Mustangs pitching, as five members of the deep, 20-player staff combined on a five-hitter. Billings starter Drew Cisco gave up two hits and an unearned run, but was pulled after two innings since he is still recovering from Tommy John surgery. Carlos Gonzalez earned the win in relief, striking out four in two innings and not allowing a hit. Tony Amezcua, Carlos Ramos and Nick Routt were also effective, and at one point, 12 straight Brewers batters were retired.

“We saw some pretty good arms, they kept bringing them out one after another,” Helena manager Jeff Isom said following his team’s third straight loss. “But we’ve got to do a better job of getting in counts we can get hits out of. I think we swung through a handful of fastballs tonight and we shouldn’t be doing that.”

The Brewers (1-4) mustered up some late offense in the eighth, getting two runs off of Alfredo Rodriguez’s triple and Michael Turay’s double. But it was too little too late after digging themselves a big hole in the sixth, when Billings batted through the order. All six Mustangs runs in the frame came with two outs.

“That’s what we talked about as a team,” Isom said. “We’ve gotta stay out of that big inning. If tonight we didn’t have that, it would have been a different ballgame. But unfortunately you can’t undo it.”

Billings (4-1) entered the game with the worst batting average in the Pioneer League, hitting just .208 as a team. The Mustangs’ victories had come courtesy of their consistent pitching thus far, and Maddox said it was nice to finally be able to give them some run support. The visitors bats came alive for 11 hits Friday, after recording just 26 hits total through the first four games at Dehler Park.

“We joked about that in the clubhouse today actually,” he said. “Pitchers were like ‘maybe if you guys gave us more runs the games wouldn’t be so close.’ It’s a good feeling to be able to help our pitchers out. They did a great job back home — we just have a lot more focus this series.”

Isom hopes his team can stay focused despite the disappointing start.

“Starting out 1-4 is not where we wanted to be,” he said. “There’s a lot of first year players, a lot of heads down, and we’re like ‘hey, you still have a lot of baseball left.’ We’re glad they’re taking it that seriously, but we want them to realize it’s a long season, there’s a lot of baseball left, and it’s not how you start, it’s how you finish.”

NOTES: Tonight’s starting pitchers will be right-hander Wes Mugarian (0-1) for Billings and left-hander Will West (0-1) for the Brewers. ... Helena outfielder Lance Roenicke was called up to Wisconsin (Midwest Low-A) on Thursday.

Helena Independent Photo Gallery

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 23, 2012, 4:59 AM Post

Global Moderator
Homer the Polecat (skunk) was born in 1995 after skunks were seen coming out from behind the outfield wall and running past the outfielders. The players are very grateful to have Homer close by instead of the skunks that preceeded him!! Homer resides behind the center field wall and loves to participate in his favorite promotion, the BASE RACE. Unfortunately, Homer is 0-585 against the fans here at Joe Davis Stadium in the nightly run around the bases.

Now here's why I reminded everyone about Huntsville's mascot.

This article from the Jackson Sun includes the following:

Thursday night’s game between the Jackson Generals and Huntsville Stars provided one of the more unusual occurrences at Pringles Park in a long time when the game went through a brief “skunk delay” that created a big stink at the ball park.

With the Generals batting, the Stars called time for a visit to the mound. During the visit, everybody’s attention turned to left field for a few minutes as a furry woodland creature apparently wanted to get up close and personal to the action.

The scene resembled one of the old Looney Toons shorts with Pepe le Pew, the skunk looking for love but never finding it in return, as the Stars’ left-fielder Kentrall Davis quickly avoided being within nose shot of the animal.

After about five minutes of the skunk looking for a place to escape in the wall in left field and centerfield, Stars centerfielder Josh Prince shooed the skunk out of the stadium with the help of Carter Capps, the Generals’ closer who’d come over from the bullpen to help.

According to Generals radio broadcaster Chris Harris, the skunk was allowed to escape without harm and listen to the game in the safety of the woods behind right field.

But the Generals might want to consider allowing the skunk back into the stadium. He or she made its appearance when the Generals were coming back after falling behind 3-0.

But soon after the skunk left, the Stars hit a home run in the top of the ninth, and the Generals were rendered unproductive in the bottom half of the inning.

I’m wondering if the Generals missed an opportunity with this.

When you click on the link above, the author, Brandon Shields, discusses possible marketing opportunites for the Generals. But the point really is that Homer made the road trip, visited the Huntsville outfielders to say hello, and ensured a Stars victory!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 23, 2012, 5:16 AM Post

Global Moderator
Who needs draft picks on the mound in Maryvale? Undrafted Taylor Mangum brought some sanity to the proceedings.

I don't believe I can remember this before.

Catcher Deivi Mejia began the bottom of the 8th behind the plate and ended up on the mound (and he stranded the bases loaded for his fellow non-pitcher, IF Andres Martinez).

AZL Athletics Bottom of the 8th
Pitcher Change: Andres Martinez replaces Taylor Mangum.
Michael Soto grounds out, second baseman Taylor Smith-Brennan to first baseman Alan Sharkey.
Luis Baez doubles (2) on a fly ball to center fielder Malcolm Dowell.
With Luis Osorio batting, wild pitch by Andres Martinez, Luis Baez to 3rd.
Luis Osorio strikes out on foul tip.
Christopher Wolfe walks.
Shawn Duinkerk singles on a ground ball to first baseman Alan Sharkey. Luis Baez scores. Shawn Duinkerk to 2nd. Christopher Wolfe advances to 3rd, on throwing error by first baseman Alan Sharkey.
Hershcel Powell walks.
Pitcher Change: Deivi Mejia replaces Andres Martinez, batting 2nd.
Defensive Substitution: Jose Garcia replaces designated hitter Dustin Houle, batting 3rd, playing catcher.
Hiram Martinez pops out to catcher Jose Garcia in foul territory.

Six errors and two passed balls for the A-Crew, yikes...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 23, 2012, 5:24 AM Post

Global Moderator
Turns out we're not missing just one DSL box score, but two -- at least as of this post at 6:15 AM Central time.

The DSL Brewers and Braves were postponed at the Braves' complex earlier in the week, and rather than wait to make it up at that location later this week, the league had scheduled two games for Friday night, with each team acting as the home team once.

Here is the link specifically to Friday's date DSL scoreboard. (Naturally, only the two Brewers games are missing.)

Between TC07 and/or myself, we'll backfill later on. The Cerveceritos are idle on Saturday.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Link Report for Fri. 6/22 -- Logan Schafer Plays Baseball Really Well; So Far the Rookie-Level Clubs Don't

Posted: June 23, 2012, 5:31 AM Post

Global Moderator
That was a really sweet win for the 'Tees Friday (the only win Friday thus far in six games for the farm).

Jason Rogers looks nice in that cleanup spot -- our friends behind the scenes with the Brevard front office are really good folks, and they deserve the fun that a competitive second-half club would bring. 2-0 thus far, Fear the Sea Cow!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 23, 2012, 9:04 AM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Global Moderator
Six different Michaels played for Helena last night.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 23, 2012, 9:38 AM Post
The DSL Brewers split with the Braves on Friday. They lost game one 7-5 and won the rain make-up 6-1. I've noticed the league site dominicansummerleague.com usually updates quicker than milb.com.

They also have this game story on the Brewers win.

I'm very very slowly trying to learn Spanish but am by no means fluent so please forgive me as I butcher this but I believe the story translates something like:

Designated Hitter Carlos Pena batted in four runs and scored two in the Milwaukee Brewers defeat of the Atlanta Braves in the resumption of the game from earlier in the season in the Dominican Summer League.

Pena went 2 for 3. His teammate Elvis Rubio went 2 for 3 with two runs scored.

The winning pitcher was Juan Santiago, who in six complete innings allowed a single run. His record is now two wins and zero losses.

Nelson Leon was the losing pitcher, after giving up four runs in three and a third innings.
Milwaukee now has 10 wins and six losses, while the Braves have won nine and lost five.

*edit - actually it looks like the 6-1 win, rain make-up was game one and the 7-5 loss was game two.

Last edited by bkrause2 on June 23, 2012, 9:43 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 23, 2012, 9:40 AM Post
The good - Schafer, Miller
The bad - Peralta
The ugly - Maryvale (I don't think I've looked at a Maryvale box score in three years because I know that at that level they are working on specific things, particularly pitchers, and aren't looking at outcomes.)

Rob w00ten - over his last 10 appearances covering 15.1 innings he has given up 4 hits, walked 6, and struck out 14.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re:

Posted: June 23, 2012, 11:14 AM Post
LouisEly said:
The good - Schafer, Miller
The bad - Peralta
The ugly - Maryvale (I don't think I've looked at a Maryvale box score in three years because I know that at that level they are working on specific things, particularly pitchers, and aren't looking at outcomes.)

Rob w00ten - over his last 10 appearances covering 15.1 innings he has given up 4 hits, walked 6, and struck out 14.

New daily feature?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 23, 2012, 11:31 AM Post
Other randomness:

2+ weeks in and Cam Garfield is hitting. .297/.367/.455. The T-Rats might actually be tougher in the 2nd half with Cam and Haniger in the fold.

Reggie Keen has 11 Sac Hits and 1 Sac Fly.

The new super stud may be 17-year old RF Elvis Rubio. .309/.433/.455 9:9 K:BB 3:0 SB:CS Carlos Belonis has been picking it up lately. .246/.319/.361 5:20 BB:K 11:3 SB:CS is certainly not Arcia-ian, however. (Pretty sure this is before Friday's games.)

Jason Rogers is inching towards .300/.400/.500 territory.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 23, 2012, 12:47 PM Post

Global Moderator
The DSL team is now 9-6 and their stats are up-to-date on MiLB.com, even without the two formal box scores on their site.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 23, 2012, 9:52 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Mass Haas said:
The DSL team is now 9-6 and their stats are up-to-date on MiLB.com

Free Otano!

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 34 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply