LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 36 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Link Report for Mon. 7/2 -- Peralta and Bradley look to build off most recent efforts

Offline  Re: Link Report for Mon. 7/2 -- Peralta and Bradley look to build off most recent efforts

Posted: July 02, 2012, 9:54 PM Post
Final: Huntsville 4, Birmingham 13

Huntsville Box Score

Not a good night for Huntsville pitching. Evan Anundsen started for the Stars and gave up eight runs, six earned in four innings. He allowed eight hits and a walk while striking out four. Dan Merklinger was up next and pitched an inning and a third, allowing two runs on two hits and three walks. R.J. Seidel mopped up the final 2 2/3 innings. He surrendered three runs on three hits and walked a pair.

The offense tried to do their part, amazingly out-hitting Birmingham 14-13. Hunter Morris led the way with a 4 for 4 night. He doubled, walked, scored a run and knocked in one. Scooter Gennett had a 3 for 5 night with an RBI. Lee Haydel had two singles and walk. Kentrail Davis was on base three times with a single and a pair of walks. Davis also stole his 12th base. Josh Prince, Domnit Bolivar and Juan Sanchez each had a double.

Huntsville Play By Play
The Stars got one run in the 7th but it could have been a much bigger inning
Huntsville Top of the 7th
Pitcher Change: Leroy Hunt replaces Jon Bachanov.
Scooter Gennett singles on a line drive to center fielder Jared Mitchell.
Hunter Morris singles on a line drive to right fielder Kenneth Williams. Scooter Gennett to 2nd.
Hainley Statia flies into double play, left fielder Brady Shoemaker to second baseman Daniel Wagner. Scooter Gennett doubled off 2nd.
Anderson De La Rosa singles on a line drive to left fielder Brady Shoemaker. Hunter Morris to 2nd.
Kentrail Davis singles on a line drive to right fielder Kenneth Williams. Hunter Morris to 3rd. Anderson De La Rosa to 2nd.
Domnit Bolivar hit by pitch. Hunter Morris scores. Anderson De La Rosa to 3rd. Kentrail Davis to 2nd.
Juan Sanchez flies out to center fielder Jared Mitchell

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Link Report for Mon. 7/2 -- Peralta and Bradley look to build off most recent efforts

Posted: July 02, 2012, 10:16 PM Post
Final: DSL Brewers 7, DSL Braves 3

DSL Brewers Box Score
The young Brewers continued their first place ways and while Jorge Ortega wasn't as good as last time out, he was still very solid going 7IP allowing 8H, 1BB, 3R, 2ER, and 1WP against 4SO while posting a 10:4 ratio. Joshua Torres and Victor Diaz both pitched a scoreless inning of relief and both have yet to allow a run on the season though this was just Torres' 2nd and Diaz' 3rd appearance of the season respectively.

Jose Dicent went 2-3 with a walk and continues his climb towards respectability, after a slow start he's hitting .294 through his last 10. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that maybe catching prospect Natanael Mejia should play more, he's only played in 3 games, his first on July 29th, but he went 3-4 with a HR tonight, has a hit in all 3 games, and is currently sporting a .500 BA, though he did have the Brewers only error on an errant pick off attempt. Elvis Rubio also homered and went 1-3 in the contest. Alejandro Mendoza stole his 4th base and Juan Ortiz stole his 5th base but was also picked off first.

As Sessile noted the other day Gian Rizzo hasn't shown up in a box score for some time, here's hoping it's just a reporting/box score issue and there's not anything wrong with him.

DSL Brewers Play By play
The WP pitch hurt Ortega in this frame.
DSL Braves Top of the 3rd
    Jesus Heredia strikes out swinging.
    Omar Obregon doubles (1) on a line drive to right fielder Elvis Rubio.
    Luis Monasterio singles on a line drive to left fielder Juan Ortiz. Omar Obregon scores.
    With Johan Camargo batting, wild pitch by Jorge Ortega, Luis Monasterio to 2nd.
    Johan Camargo grounds out to first baseman Jose Dicent. Luis Monasterio to 3rd.
    Alejandro Piloto singles on a line drive to right fielder Elvis Rubio. Luis Monasterio scores. Alejandro Piloto out at 2nd, first baseman Jose Dicent.

This was all the offense the pitchers would need.
DSL Brewers Bottom of the 3rd
    Natanael Mejia singles on a line drive to first baseman Ibrahim McKenzie.
    With Alejandro Mendoza batting, Natanael Mejia advances to 2nd on a balk.
    Alejandro Mendoza walks.
    Francisco Castillo grounds into a force out, pitcher Nelson Leon to third baseman Johan Camargo. Natanael Mejia out at 3rd. Alejandro Mendoza to 2nd. Francisco Castillo to 1st.
    Raphachel Colatosti walks. Alejandro Mendoza to 3rd. Francisco Castillo to 2nd.
    Pitcher Change: Darrel Leiva replaces Nelson Leon.
    Carlos Belonis grounds into a force out, third baseman Johan Camargo to catcher Alexander De La Cruz. Alejandro Mendoza out at home. Francisco Castillo to 3rd. Raphachel Colatosti to 2nd. Carlos Belonis to 1st.
    Elvis Rubio hit by pitch. Francisco Castillo scores. Raphachel Colatosti to 3rd. Carlos Belonis to 2nd.
    Juan Ortiz hit by pitch. Raphachel Colatosti scores. Carlos Belonis to 3rd. Elvis Rubio to 2nd.
    Jose Dicent singles on a fly ball to center fielder Jose Morel. Carlos Belonis scores. Elvis Rubio scores. Juan Ortiz advances to 3rd, on fielding error by center fielder Jose Morel. Jose Dicent out at 2nd, center fielder Jose Morel to second baseman Luis Monasterio.

Another crooked number in the 5th sealed the deal.
DSL Brewers Bottom of the 5th
    Carlos Belonis pops out to second baseman Luis Monasterio.
    Elvis Rubio homers (2) on a fly ball to right center field.
    Juan Ortiz walks.
    With Jose Dicent batting, Juan Ortiz steals (5) 2nd base.
    Jose Dicent singles on a line drive to right fielder Jesus Heredia. Juan Ortiz to 3rd.
    Yunior Santana grounds into a force out, fielded by second baseman Luis Monasterio. Juan Ortiz scores. Jose Dicent out at 2nd. Yunior Santana to 1st.
    Natanael Mejia singles on a line drive to right fielder Jesus Heredia. Yunior Santana to 3rd. Natanael Mejia to 2nd on the throw.
    Pitcher Change: Ahmed Caballero replaces Darrel Leiva.
    Alejandro Mendoza lines out to shortstop Omar Obregon.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."
- Plato
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
- Plato

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 02, 2012, 10:20 PM Post
Thinking about Gian Rizzo reminded me of Nick Bucci who hasn't made any kind of appearance since hurting his arm in that spring training game. At least Lasker has started to rehab but we're already into the second half without a mention of Bucci anywhere, it's looking like a lost season for him, which is too bad given the track he was on.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."
- Plato
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
- Plato

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 02, 2012, 10:23 PM Post
video of the shot Cole took at the link
Cole bounces back with second win
Bucs prospect fans five in first start since he was felled by liner
By Danny Wild / MLB.com

Altoona right-handed Gerrit Cole was struck by a pair of comebackers in his previous start.

Pirates fans and scouts can breathe easy -- Gerrit Cole is back.

Or perhaps he never left. A week after getting knocked out of a game by a pair of comebackers that glanced off his face, the Pirates' first-rounder bounced back with 5 2/3 strong innings, hitting 99 mph as Double-A Altoona beat Binghamton, 6-2, on Monday night.

It was a big test for the 21-year-old right-hander, who dropped to the mound in pain on June 26 after Harrisburg's Sean Nicol hit a line drive that struck Cole in the face, the second comebacker to hit the Curve ace that inning. In what looked like a scary moment, Cole laid motionless on the ground, but eventually got back on his feet and struck out the final batter of the inning before going to a hospital for tests.

That game marked the shortest outing of Cole's career, but it clearly did not deter him Monday when he struck out six and held the Mets to a pair of runs -- one earned -- on six hits over 5 2/3 frames for his seventh overall win and second in the Eastern League.

Cole worked a 1-2-3 first inning and struck out Eric Campbell and Dustin Martin in the second en route to retiring the first seven batters he faced. Juan Centeno reached on missed catch error by first baseman Matt Curry with one out in the third, and after Mets starter Gonzalez Germen bunted foul with two strikes, Juan Lagares finally connected for the Mets' first hit, driving home Centeno with a single to left off Cole.

The run was unearned, and Cole got back to task, working around a pair of two-out singles in the fourth. He survived a leadoff single and a walk in the fifth, but didn't finish the sixth.

Cole, who hit 99 mph in the sixth, allowed a leadoff single to Campbell and an RBI double by Wilmer Flores before throwing a wild pitch to let Flores take third.

The UCLA product popped up Sean Kazmar for the second out but handed the ball off to Nathan Baker, who got Centeno to fly to left to end the frame.

Cole threw 63 of his 87 pitches for strikes in his second win in three Double-A starts. In 11 2/3 innings since his promotion, the California native has allowed six earned runs and one walk with 13 strikeouts.

The Pirates' first-round pick in last year's Draft began his first professional season with Class A Advanced Bradenton, going 5-1 with a 2.55 ERA in 13 starts.

Cole was in position to win all night after Altoona scored twice in the first and Brock Holt's solo shot in the third gave the Curve a 3-0 lead. Ramon Cabrera doubled and scored in the fourth before Altoona tacked on insurance runs in the seventh and ninth.

Germen fell to 4-6 for Binghamton after allowing five runs -- three earned -- on eight hits and two walks over seven frames.

Last edited by TheCrew07 on July 02, 2012, 10:28 PM, edited 1 time in total.

- Plato
- Plato

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 02, 2012, 10:25 PM Post
Ramsey collects three hits in debut
Cardinals' first-rounder feels right at home in Palm Beach
By Ashley Marshall / Special to MLB.com

James Ramsey led the Florida State Seminoles with 13 homers and a .378 average in 2012. (AP)

Just two weeks after guiding Florida State to the semifinals of the College World Series, St. Louis first-rounder James Ramsey made the transition to pro ball look effortless.

Ramsey went 3-for-5 with a double, a stolen base and a run scored in his Minor League debut Monday in Class A Advanced Palm Beach's 5-4 loss to Jupiter.

"I would say it was good just to get out there and compete again," said Ramsey, selected 23rd overall in the 2012 Draft. "It hasn't been long since the College World Series, but it was nice to become part of the Cardinals' family this week.

"It was a quick transition for me. I signed Friday night and then flew out on Sunday. It was a challenge going through four different cities. I went from Tallahassee to Atlanta, and then after 36 hours, I went from Atlanta to St. Louis to sign. I went back to Atlanta on Saturday morning and then to Palm Beach on Sunday."

On Monday, the 22-year-old doubled to left field in his first at-bat in the first inning and he beat out an infield single to shortstop with two outs in the third.

Ramsey then singled back up the middle to load the bases in the fifth frame before grounding into a forceout, stealing second base and scoring on Rainel Rosario's line drive to center field in the seventh.

"I was just staying with my normal approach -- taking pitches, getting deep into counts and taking what the pitcher gave me," said Ramsey, who had around 15 family members and friends in the stands. "If he pitched me away, I'd try to go away; if he pitched me inside, I would try and pull it.

"To get the first hit out of the way in the first at-bat was pretty special. I worked the count 3-2 and hit a line drive down the left side over the third baseman. It was big for me, but all of the hits were great."

Playing center field and batting third, Ramsey struck out in his final at-bat in the ninth.

"[The Cardinals] want to see me be myself and do the things that got me here. They will evaluate me day to day, but if I do the things I know I can do well, hopefully I will be on the fast track. I need to keep my blue collar mentality -- never too high, never too low and keep on grinding."

In his senior year at Florida State, he led the Seminoles -- ranked third nationally -- to their 21st College World Series where they lost in the semifinals to eventual champion Arizona.

Ramsey earned a below-slot $1.6-million signing bonus, according to Baseball America. Ramsey had to wait until his participation in the NCAA Division I playoffs ended before he was eligible to sign.

"I think a lot of people will question why [St. Louis] paid that, but the Cardinals value me as a player and a lot of other teams valued me in the same ballpark. They know I will be in the big leagues before long, and they know they have someone who will be able to lead this team.

"They put me straight in High-A for a reason and they obviously have a lot of faith in me."

In 2012, the native of Alpharetta, Ga., led all Seminoles hitters with a .378 batting average and 13 homers in 67 games in his senior year. The captain of the team, he also ranked first on the team in runs scored (78) and triples (six), and he finished second in RBIs (58) and walks (63).

Despite those numbers, Ramsey -- a finance major twice named to the President's List for holding a 4.0 GPA -- says his top attribute is his makeup.

"I think maybe my best tool is my sixth tool, because people know that I do the other five pretty well, said Ramsey, named the MVP of the East team at the 2011 Cape Cod All-Star Game. "I have the confidence to know that I project to be a big leaguer pretty quickly and I have a team-first mentality. I don't have a glaring weakness, but there is always room to improve.

"Coach [Mike] Martin was the college baseball coach of the year and FSU invests on you on and off the field. The things I learned there are invaluable."

On Monday, Palm Beach starter Scott Schneider surrendered one run on three hits over four innings, but he did not factor in the decision. Dean Kiekhefer (2-2) gave up three runs on four hits over two-thirds of an inning in the ninth.

Cardinals catcher Luis De La Cruz was 3-for-4 with an RBI in the loss.

Jupiter's Chad James allowed three runs -- one earned -- on five hits and three walks while striking out five batters over the first five innings. Michael Brady, the third reliever out of the 'pen, fanned two batters over a perfect ninth to improve to 2-3.

Hammerheads' center fielder Christian Yelich -- MLB.com's No. 28 prospect -- was 2-for-4 with his 10th homer of the year in the victory. Leadoff hitter Danny Black recorded the decisive blow with a two-out, game-winning RBI single in the bottom of the ninth.

- Plato
- Plato

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 02, 2012, 11:14 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Sounds pretty high on himself... should fit right in with the cards

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 02, 2012, 11:51 PM Post
AZL Brewers 14, AZL Diamondbacks 7

Arizona Box Score
Daniel Keller made the start tonight and he was the only A-Crew pitcher who didn't have a good performance. Austin Blaski replaced and went 1 1/3 giving up one walk and a strikeout. Zach Quintana came in and pitched 3 scoreless innings to finish the game and get the win. He had 6 strikeouts to go with 1 walk.

Defensively, there were no errors or passed balls.

Offensively, the A-Crew had their best showing of the year as they pounded out 14 hits and drew 6 walks. Doing the brunt of the damage was Tyrone Taylor, Taylor Smith-Brennan, Jalen Harris and Malcolm Dowell. All had multiple RBI's and got on base at least twice. Taylor (2) and Dowell also stole bases. Jose Pena continued his hot hitting ways with two more hits and his first stateside walk. Clint Coulter continued his rough start to his pro career by going 0-5 with 3 strikeouts and the getting-healthier Khris Davis had a hit and a walk in 6 trips to the plate. Middle IF Jose Sermo and Renaldo Jenkins also had 2 hits apiece.

A-Crew PbP
Zach Quintana's dominance to get the win
AZL D-backs Bottom of the 7th
Pitcher Change: Zachary Quintana replaces Austin Blaski.
Andrew Velazquez flies out to left fielder Khris Davis.
Brian Billigen strikes out swinging.
Zachary Jones grounds out, second baseman Jose Sermo to first baseman Jalen Harris.

AZL D-backs Bottom of the 8th
Stryker Trahan walks.
Jose Munoz strikes out swinging. Wild pitch by pitcher Zachary Quintana. Stryker Trahan to 2nd.
Alex Glenn strikes out swinging.
Ryan Fuller strikes out swinging.

AZL D-backs Bottom of the 9th
Jake Williams strikes out swinging, catcher Clint Coulter to first baseman Jalen Harris.
Chuck Taylor grounds out, shortstop Renaldo Jenkins to first baseman Jalen Harris.
Offensive Substitution: Pinch hitter Bubu Garcia replaces Andrew Velazquez.
Bubu Garcia strikes out swinging.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 03, 2012, 12:16 AM Post
'Tees four-hit by Threshers
07/02/2012 10:13 PM ET
By Frank Longobardo / Brevard County Manatees

CLEARWATER, Fla. - One day after scoring ten runs on ten hits, the Brevard County Manatees were held to four hits as they were blanked 4-0 by the Clearwater Threshers on Monday night at Bright House Field.

The 'Tees had just five base runners and struck out 12 times against Clearwater pitching, including seven times against Threshers starter Adam Morgan over six innings. Brevard County went down in order in five separate innings on the night.

A big inning in the second for Clearwater was the difference as they plated the only four runs in the game that frame against 'Tees (7-4 second half, 36-43 overall) starter Jed Bradley. After allowing a lead-off double to Jim Murphy, Bradley induced back-to-back ground outs and was one out away from getting out of the inning.

Clearwater (6-6, 42-36) though was able to capitalize with two outs starting with a double by Cameron Rupp that scored Murphy. Miguel Alvarez then singled to center to plate Rupp and make it a 2-0 Clearwater advantage.

Edgar Duran then singled to put runners on the corners and that was followed by a two-run triple by Albert Cartwright to center which gave the Threshers a 4-0 lead that they wouldn't relinquish.

Bradley (5-7, 4.84) went five innings and yielded eight hits. He did not walk a batter and struck out two and is now 1-4 with a 9.11 ERA in six road starts.

Shea Vucinich and reigning FSL Player of the Week Jason Rogers were the only 'Tees to reach base twice on the night. Vucinich was 2-for-3 with a double and Rogers was 1-for-3 with a walk.

The Manatees will close out their six-game road trip and their series with the Threshers on Tuesday night at 7:00 p.m.

Brooks Hall (3-3, 4.35) will get the ball for Brevard County as he is going for his third straight win. Hall had a solid June as he was 3-1 with a 3.65 ERA in five starts.

Clearwater will counter with Brody Colvin (4-4, 4.46). Colvin is coming off of a nine strikeout performance in his last start and is 1-0 with a 1.38 ERA in his first two starts since the All-Star break.

Box Score

Short and sweet tonight for my summaries, and that's okay, because my teams lost 17-0. 4-0 undesirables in this FSL match up.

Jason Rogers (1-3 2 BB) and Shea Vucinich (2-3 2B SB (10)) were the notables.

Jed Bradley had a rough 2nd inning, but was otherwise pretty darn effective. 5 IP 8 H 4 R 4 ER 0 BB 2 K 9:1 GO:FO. Thomas Keeling and Seth Harvey finished it out with 3 scoreless and 3 K.

Check out the young Phillie super reliever.

Game Log

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 03, 2012, 12:27 AM Post
Great Falls (White Sox) 13 Helena 0

Box Score

This game felt close-ish until the mid innings when things got out of hand, and I fell asleep.

Brent Suter got the start and ended the night as the most effective Brewers pitcher. 4 IP 4 H 2 R 2 ER 0 BB 4 K 1 HR 4:2 GO:FO for Brent. Among the roughed up Brewers pitchers included Joel Pierce (1 IP 2 H 1 ER 2 BB 1 K WP) and Manny Ruiz (2 IP 3 H 3 ER 4 BB 4 K 2 WP).

I am pretty sure Michael Garza (1-4) swings at the 1st pitch in every AB I have listened to from him this season. With a league full of pitchers working off of their FB, that might be okay, but the approach will need refining as he moves up. C Paul Eshleman (3-4) and 1B Adam Giacalone (2-4 SB) were seeing it decent. Michael Reed (0-4 3 K) was not.

The Rookie Leagues. Fun stuff.

Game Log

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 03, 2012, 3:33 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Helena Independent Record Photo Gallery

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 03, 2012, 3:40 AM Post

Global Moderator
Voyagers blast Brewers with eight extra-base hits, 13 runs
Helena Independent Record

The Great Falls Voyagers pounded out 15 hits — eight for extra bases — in a 13-0 Pioneer League victory over the Helena Brewers Monday at Kindrick Legion Field.

Right fielder Kyle Robinson spearheaded the Voyagers’ attack, going 4 for 6 with a double and a run batted in. He is hitting .600 against Helena this season.

Patrick Palmeiro — former major league star Raphael Palmeiro’s son — was 2-5, with a home run and four RBIs, while teammate Brent Tanner went 3-6, with a double and two RBIs.

Adam Heisler and Bryce Mosier ripped two doubles apiece. Great Falls shortstop Justin Jirschele chipped in with three RBIs.

Four Voyager pitchers collaborated to throw a seven-hit shutout against the Brewers, with Brandon Brennan recording the win. Starter Zachary Toney worked four innings, allowing four hits and striking out four.

Brent Suter started for the hosts and took the loss. He went four innings, giving up four hits and two runs. Manager Jeff Isom’s Brewers used four more hurlers on the night, including Navy product Preston Gainey, who was making his Helena debut. Milwaukee’s 11th-round pick allowed one hit and two runs, neither of which were earned.

Great Falls first got on the board with two runs in the fourth inning after two outs, on a double by Brent Tanner and a two-run homer by Palmeiro.

After another run in the fifth, the Voyagers added two more tallies in the sixth on Jirschele’s two-run single.

The visitors exploded for five runs in the seventh, powered by three doubles, by Robinson, Palmeiro and Heisler.

The Electric City closed out its scoring parade in its last at-bat, plating three more markers in the top of the ninth.

Leading the way for Helena at the plate was catcher Paul Eshleman, who stroked three singles. Brewers teammate Adam Giacalone was 2-4.

It was a rough night on the mound for the home team, as five Brewers pitchers combined to issue nine walks.

Helena will try to avoid the sweep when the Brewers take on Great Falls again tonight at 7:05 PM (8:05 Central) at Kindrick Legion Field.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 03, 2012, 3:46 AM Post

Global Moderator
Helena is now 4-11 and has been outscored 109 - 67.

Maryvale, even after Monday's win, stands at 2-8 and has been outscored 106 - 49.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 03, 2012, 3:51 AM Post

Global Moderator
Nashville video - catching up; linked to all previously but the most recent one (Brian Baker), I believe

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 03, 2012, 3:54 AM Post

Global Moderator
Rattler Radio Blog - Nine After 9

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 03, 2012, 6:46 AM Post
Randomness:

Helena SS Alfredo Rodriguez: 8:0 BB:K ratio in 12 games. .275/.396/.375.

Brevard C Shawn Zarraga has been missing for a while now.

Nashville OF Caleb Gindl 2012: .234/.290/.355. Same league in 2011: .307/.390/.472. His season is inexplicable in a Rickie Weeks kind of way.

Org. SB Leaderboard:

1. Huntsville OF Josh Prince 26 for 36 72.22%
    2. BC OF Reggie Keen 25 for 39 64.1%
    3. Nashville 2B/OF Eric Farris 21 for 27 77.78%
    4. DSL OF Francisco Castilla 17 for 18 94.44% (21 G)
    5. WI CF Chadwin Stang 15 for 22 68.18
    t6. DSL SS Carlos Belonis 14 for 19 73.68% (23 G)
    t6. BC IF/OF T.J. Mittelstaedt 14 for 23 60.87%

WI 1B Nick Ramirez is sporting a 10:64 BB:K ratio in 43 games.

30 XBH Club:

t1. Huntsville 1B Hunter Morris 39
    t1. Milwaukee OF Corey Hart 39
    3. Milwaukee OF Ryan Braun 36
    t4. BC 1B/LF Jason Rogers 34
    t4. Milwaukee 3B Aramis Ramirez 34
    6. BC OF/IF T.J. Mittelstaedt 33
Just missed: Nashville OF Logan Schafer 29, WI SS Yadiel Rivera 28

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 03, 2012, 8:05 AM Post

Global Moderator
STARS LOSE THIRD STRAIGHT

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – After being shutout in their previous two consecutive games, the Huntsville Stars fell to the Birmingham Barons by a score of 13-4 on Monday night at Regions Park.

In the second inning, Birmingham got the scoring started. After back-to-back singles by right fielder Brady Shoemaker and third baseman Eric Morrison, an error by Stars first baseman Hunter Morris on a grounder off the bat of right fielder Kenny Williams Jr. allowed both runs to score.

Trailing 2-0, the Stars finally were able to tack on their first run in 24 innings in the third inning. Left fielder Lee Haydel hit a single followed by a walk from center fielder Josh Prince. Second baseman Scooter Gennett plated Haydel to put the Stars on the board and cut the Birmingham lead in half.

Unfortunately, the Barons offense was just heating up. With a leadoff single from shortstop Tyler Saladino, a walk from center fielder Jared Mitchell, and a single by designated hitter Seth Loman, Birmingham loaded the bases off of Stars starter Evan Anundsen to begin the third inning. Then, with two outs, Morrison cleared the bases with a double down the left field line. He scored the next at-bat on a RBI double by catcher Luis Sierra that made the score 6-1.

After the Stars got an RBI single by Morris in the top of the fifth to cut the lead to four, Birmingham answered back in the bottom half of the frame. Following a leadoff double by Loman, a RBI double by first baseman Andy Wilkins increased the Barons lead back up to five. Two batters later, Wilkins scored on an RBI single by Morrison to make the score 8-2.

That marked the end of the night for Anundsen. The Stars starting pitcher fell to 4-4 on the year after giving up eight runs (six earned) on eight hits in four innings of work.

With the Stars scoring a run in the sixth inning on a RBI double by third baseman Juan Sanchez, Birmingham put their exclamation point on the ballgame in the bottom half of the frame off of Stars relievers Dan Merklinger and R.J. Seidel. On another RBI single by Morrison, a three-run triple by Sierra and a RBI groundout from Williams Jr., Birmingham batted around and took a commanding 13-3 lead.

The Stars scored the final run of the game in the top of the seventh inning when shortstop Domnit Bolivar was hit by a pitch from Barons reliever Leroy Hunt with the bases loaded.

For Birmingham, starting pitcher Andre Rienzo improved to 3-0 on the year after giving up two runs in five innings of work. Rienzo also struck out a season-high 10 batters, which is the largest total for a Barons starting pitcher in a single game this season.

On offense, the Stars cranked out 14 hits, seven of them from Morris and Gennett combined. Overall, Morris went 4-for-4 with a double and a RBI while Gennett went 3-for-5 with a RBI. Haydel also chipped in with two hits. On the flip side, Huntsville also left 16 runners on base.

Game three of a three-game series will begin on Tuesday as the Stars will send RHP Kyle Heckathorn (2-8, 5.04 ERA) to the mound to square off against Barons RHP Spencer Arroyo (2-0, 5.40 ERA). First pitch is at 6:00 PM.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 36 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply