August 7 - 1:05 P.M.

ImageImage

64-50

37-76

Pitching Matchup

ImageImage

Zack Greinke

9-4 | 4.41

Greinke picked up his second straight win and after surrendering a first-inning home run he went scoreless for the next five. He's not sure why he's struggled on the road this season yet is a perfect 7-0 at Miller Park.

Astros vs. Greinke
Greinke Game Log

Bud Norris

5-7 | 3.47

A blister on Norris' throwing hand forced the starter to leave Monday's start against the Reds after facing one batter in the sixth inning. His previous start against St. Louis was cut short for the same reason.

Brewers vs. Norris
Norris Game Log

Starting Lineups

1. CF Nyjer Morgan
  2. 2B Felipe Lopez
  3. LF Ryan Braun
  4. 1B Prince Fielder
  5. RF Mark Kotsay
  6. SS Yuniesky Betancourt
  7. 3B Craig Counsell
  8. C Jonathan Lucroy
  9. RHP Zack Greinke
  1. RF J.B. Shuck
  2. 2B Jose Altuve
  3. CF Jason Bourgeois
  4. 1B Carlos Lee
  5. LF J.D. Martinez
  6. 3B Jimmy Paredes
  7. SS Clint Barmes
  8. C Carlos Corporan
  9. RHP Bud Norris

Media Coverage

Fan Sites

Last edited by Anonymous on August 07, 2011, 12:35 PM, edited 1 time in total.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.
-- Sigmund Snopek

Quote   Reply 
Offline  2011-08-07 Brewers (Greinke) at Astros (Norris) - [Brewers win, 7-3]

Posted: August 07, 2011, 2:22 AM Post
Global Moderator
The way I see it, the Astros best (realistic) chance to get one in this series was yesterday off of Narveson.

Take care of business today, and head into St. Louie with at least a 3 game lead.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2011, 2:37 AM Post
Well, according to TH, the lineup today against Norris is Plush, Lopez, Braun, Fielder, Kotsay, Yuni, Counsell, Lucroy. That's about as beatable a lineup as the Brewers have fielded all year. Also, it's a good retest of the "protection" shibboleth: if it's legit, Fielder should walk on four pitches every time he's up, including with the bases loaded.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2011, 2:38 AM Post
I'm going to preempt the expected "worst Brewers lineup - ever" posts, by saying that it doesn't matter today. It's Bud Norris! THE Bud Norris! Here's to not hitting like we did last time against him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2011, 2:47 AM Post
Global Moderator
Good gracious that's an awful lineup.

I realize with Weeks and Hart out, there's not much to play around with, but why does RRR continue to try to squeeze Kotsay into run producing spots in the order? I don't care about 'protection', that's an overblown myth. I DO want someone hitting behind the .400 OBP cleanup guy who might have a chance to drive him in though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2011, 2:48 AM Post
bigredrobbo said:
I'm going to preempt the expected "worst Brewers lineup - ever" posts, by saying that it doesn't matter today. It's Bud Norris! THE Bud Norris! Here's to not hitting like we did last time against him.
Bud's actually been Houston's best pitcher this year, not that that's saying much. He's still solid though, provided his blister problem doesn't reemerge.

Disappointed not to see Hairston in place of either Kotsay, Counsell, or even Lopez (Betancourt I begrudgingly understand).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2011, 3:04 AM Post
Can we add Jerry Hairston Jr. to the group of Brewers who probably ran over Ron Roenicke's dog?

Maybe the worst lineup of the season, but it is still the Astros, and it's still Greinke vs. Norris (although he has been surprisingly effective this season).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2011, 3:06 AM Post
What's the verdict on Hart? Any new news?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2011, 3:11 AM Post
X-rays for Hart were negative. Give him a day off today, coupled with tomorrow's day off to give his hand time to heal. Pretty awful line-up. At least it's against the Lastro's and they can get everyone ready to go for St. Louis.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2011, 3:12 AM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Board Administrator
razzzorsharp said:
What's the verdict on Hart? Any new news?
Per Adam McCalvy:

Good news this morning from the Brewers — Corey Hart’s x-rays were negative, and the right fielder is day to day. Hart was struck on the left hand by a pitch last night.
D'oh, I didn't type as quickly as crossface21. Well, Sunday lineup vs. Sunday roster (albeit with Houston's perhaps best starter).

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2011, 3:32 AM Post
Why the heck are Kotsay and Counsell coming off the bench before Hairston?

As much as we've been riding McGehee he has actually looked decent but Counsell is starting.

Ridiculous that RRR can get away with this crap.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2011, 3:37 AM Post
When RR says "we need Mark Kotsay," apparently he means it. Sunday lineup is Sunday, but against Norris we may as well try something different since he's been pretty good against us in his career. Here is hoping for the best.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2011, 3:40 AM Post
Global Moderator
I'm guessing this has nothing do to with the lineup today, but I'm assuming the little limp Casey had after the game-ending play at 3rd last night was just one of those tamporary knocks that's no big deal?

I honestly don't have that much of a problem with the lineup today, given the fact that it's been announced loud and clear that these are the guys on the roster and they will all be counted on to do something at some point. From that persepctive, Kotsay needs some ABs and Casey needs a day off so Counsell gets some work. With both Hart and Weeks out it's not like there are really overwhelmingly great options anyway. Just win the thing and move on to STL. I have no problem putting some of the pressure on ZG here. Not like they're asking him to shut down the Red Sox or Yankees.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2011, 3:45 AM Post
Both Kotsay and Counsell ahead of Hairston. Absurd.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2011, 3:47 AM Post
Sure wish we had traded for a player like Jerry Hairston Jr at the deadline so at least one of Felipe Lopez, Mark Kotsay or Craig Counsell wouldn't be starting on a day like today!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2011, 3:49 AM Post
I agree Hairston hasn't been used enough, particularly for Lopez. I assume this is the lefty/righty thing but Norris' career splits vs. lefties isn't a lot.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2011, 4:07 AM Post
I'll just add I'm sick of seeing Lucroy in the 8 hole with the likes of Counsell, Kotsay, and Lopez higher up in the line-up. Clearing the pitcher must be far more important than scoring runs.

Quote   Reply 
Online  2011-08-07 Brewers (Greinke) at Astros (Norris) - [Brewers win, 7-3]

Posted: August 07, 2011, 4:13 AM Post

GIF Master
Non-lineup note: I was listening to an interview with Michael Bourn Atlanta sports radio the other day and he said that Bud Norris has the best pickoff move in MLB, at least that he's seen.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2011, 4:18 AM Post
If Lopez continues to be mediocre I think Hairston will start getting some starts at 2nd; but by then Weeks might be back anyways. I don't think RR has any intention of using Hairston at SS or 3B unless it is an emeregency or a double switch situation late in the game.

The lineup is pretty weak, but I still like Grienke vs this Astros lineup. You really only have worry about 3 guys and they really aren't all that good (Lee, Martinez, and Frenchie).

Better to start guys like Counsell and Kotsay against Houston than against a good team like the Cards. Kotsay has started 2 times in the last 2 weeks; I guess I don't have that big of a deal if he gets a start a week. It probably makes sense to give Counsell the start against a somewhat tough righty in Norris. McGehee hasn't had a good series anyways. If you have to go with this starting 9 I at least would have moved up Lucroy a couple spots (him and Yuni at 5/6 would be fine with me)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 07, 2011, 4:24 AM Post
Bud Norris is a right handed pitcher. Jerry Haristson is a right handed batter.

Also, Jerry Hariston Jr. is a terrible hitter.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next  [ 209 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply