LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 46  Next  [ 912 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2011-10-12 Brewers (Gallardo) at Cardinals (Carpenter) - [Brewers lose, 4-3; trail NLCS, 2-1]

Offline  2011-10-12 Brewers (Gallardo) at Cardinals (Carpenter) - [Brewers lose, 4-3; trail NLCS, 2-1]

Posted: October 12, 2011, 8:26 AM Post
Here is my best case scenario:

Kotsay goes 2-2 with a HR and 2 RBI.
The Crew gets an early lead and we see Gomez come in for defense around the 5th inning. He makes a run saving, diving catch, to end an inning, and preserve the lead.

Hope this works out.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  2011-10-12 Brewers (Gallardo) at Cardinals (Carpenter) - [Brewers lose, 4-3; trail NLCS, 2-1]

Posted: October 12, 2011, 8:27 AM Post
I don't even care about Gomez's inefficiencies offensively and in a low scoring game, I want my defensive minded players out there. C'mon Ron.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2011, 8:30 AM Post
Unbelievable. Seriously one of the worst moves I can imagine, starting Mark Kotsay in Center-Field in a playoff game! Wow

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2011, 8:30 AM Post

GIF Master
jjgott said:
Kotsay in CF?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2011, 8:32 AM Post
I was optimistic about getting this game in, but it looks like a significant band of showers has developed throughout the middle of Missouri. I really don't want a stop-start-stop-start game.

I don't know my current email or password for this site. Somebody help me.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2011, 8:40 AM Post
If they really are looking at a rain delay...why not start a reliever. Even if one or two go right off the bat, they'd still have a good run of Gallardo.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2011, 8:51 AM Post
Crazy thought.. but should we be telling Narveson/Wolf to be ready to start/pitch tonight?

Hear me out...

We've been watching the forecast and it has been playing games. As of now it looks like the main storm will hit before first pitch and the rain will be scattered beyond that... but if there is major rain scheduled to hit after the game starts that will cause a big delay ... we could very well see a Detroit/Yankees situation where our aces get 2 innings under their belt and then have to be pulled after a long delay, effectively ruining their turn through the rotation.

It would be a serious gamble .... but if we are anticipating that situation, couldn't we throw a Narveson (not an ideal pick but good #'s against St. Louis in '11) and Wolf combo tonight and then hold Yovani back until tomorrow? Yo would be on 5 days rest (as he was for Game 5 of the NLDS) and then would be on 3 days rest if needed for Game 7 in Milwaukee. (not ideal obviously for Game 7, but again.... gambling).

The risk would obviously be the rain cooperating and having to throw a Wolf/Narveson combo against Carpenter... meanwhile Gallardo's days between pitching would be altered. The reward is getting a favorable Gallardo/Lohse matchup tomorrow (to even the series and guarantee a Greinke start at Miller Park/or if magic happens tonight to go up 3/1) ... and an added reward, if the weather goes in our favor, is dodging a full Carpenter start.

I'm not sure how serious I am about this ... I mainly want to hear some discussion on it to validate or decapitate it. I really want to out manage La Russa. Am I trying to hard?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2011, 8:53 AM Post
With Kotsay scheduled to start, I'm praying for rain, rain and lots of rain. Hopefully this game doesn't ever get played tonight and that gives Ron an extra night to think about what a horrible decision it is to start Kotsay in a playoff game, where defense is so important

And I am dead serious about that. I'm hoping for rain

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2011, 8:55 AM Post
If it looks like rain, Gallardo really shouldn't start.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2011, 8:57 AM Post
Global Moderator
According to Twitter, they're meeting to look at the radar at 5 and 6:30 and the MLB is very aware/concerned about the pitching implications of starting and stopping.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2011, 8:57 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Yeah that rain is definitely headed for St. Louis. I agree, Narveson or Wolf should start tonight if it appears there will be a rain delay. If it looked like the rain is coming in the 2nd-4th inning, you could start one of them and then bring Gallardo in after the rain moves through.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2011, 8:58 AM Post
Not really sure what else there is to say at this point other than anyone who believes Kotsay is the best option in centerfield tonight should be nowhere near a baseball dugout.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2011, 9:00 AM Post
Count me in on starting Narvy and Wolf and pry that it rains if we are down. I just don't want to start YO our really only bullet in the pitching gun and have it rain and lose him. Please Ron think before sending him out.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2011, 9:01 AM Post
obsessedwithbrewcrew said:
Yeah that rain is definitely headed for St. Louis. I agree, Narveson or Wolf should start tonight if it appears there will be a rain delay. If it looked like the rain is coming in the 2nd-4th inning, you could start one of them and then bring Gallardo in after the rain moves through.

Im glad im not the only one who thought of that scenario. That is bringing Gallardo in after say Narvy/Wolf/Estrada. I dont know if logistically that would even be feasible but then Yo would get his "start" in and would still be in line for a game 7 call if it gets to that point

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2011, 9:08 AM Post
Global Moderator
From Trenni:

Roenicke was posed an interesting question about possibly using a pitcher other than Gallardo to start the game if he knows it will be delayed. Roenicke admitted it's a great idea, but because weather is so unpredictable, that may not be a viable option.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2011, 9:08 AM Post
endaround said:
If it looks like rain, Gallardo really shouldn't start.

Agree 100%, we can't afford the game to be called after a few innings and lose Yo's start. He has been the lone bright spot for the starting pitching this entire postseason. Start Wolf or Navy, and if the game somehow plays out so be it. Maybe we can steal a W and then have Yo saved for tomorrow.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2011, 9:17 AM Post
The Kotsay in CF move is one of only a few moves RR has made that I see no rational for whatsoever. RR said something about needing the extra firepower to scrape together some runs in a low scoring game, which is terrible logic to me. This just puts us in position as the more likely team to give up several runs, so the offense boost is negated. Unless he's actually scared that we are going to score 0 runs, in which case I have a lot of other worries. This move essentially tells Yo he needs to pitch 7 innings of scoreless baseball with a horrible defense against maybe the best offense in baseball.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2011, 9:19 AM Post
Is Braun - Kotsay - Hart the worst defensive outfield in MLB playoff history? Seriously I can't think of any that was worse

OK, back to praying for rain

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2011, 9:22 AM Post
The Truth said:
Is Braun - Kotsay - Hart the worst defensive outfield in MLB playoff history? Seriously I can't think of any that was worse

OK, back to praying for rain

Braun/Hart > Holliday/Berkman ... The CF throws it towards St. Louis though. However, I am willing to bet two teams have never fielded such a poor combined defensive outfield in a Championship series game than what we are about to see.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 12, 2011, 9:40 AM Post
pretendastronaut said:
From Trenni:

Roenicke was posed an interesting question about possibly using a pitcher other than Gallardo to start the game if he knows it will be delayed. Roenicke admitted it's a great idea, but because weather is so unpredictable, that may not be a viable option.

Ron Roenicke, always trying to think as far inside the box as possible.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 46  Next  [ 912 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply