LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next  [ 533 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Gomez not traded/Flores cries/Alderson angry/Haudricourt confused/Melvin nonplussed/Gomez=Not Injured/Scott Boras MAD/Mets are lying liars

Offline  Re: Gomez not traded/Flores cries/Alderson angry/Haudricourt confused/Melvin nonplussed/Wheeler MRI=Bad?/Gomez MRI=Bad!, Or Not?/And Scott Boras
Posted: July 30, 2015, 7:26 AM Post
Wow Dodgers are reportedly going to give up Urias if they get Price. FOR A RENTAL.

Why can't the Brewers be lucky like that?

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Gomez not traded/Flores cries/Alderson angry/Haudricourt confused/Melvin nonplussed/Wheeler MRI=Bad?/Gomez MRI=Bad!, Or Not?/And Scott Boras
Posted: July 30, 2015, 7:32 AM Post
What a mess. Hated to see the Moss deal, likely blocking Lind there.

Maybe Kaminsky is flip candidate as part of a deal for Gomez? Just a quick thought.

It's interesting seeing Nightengale being so defiant it was Wheeler, not Gomez that killed the deal.

Well, this makes the next two days really interesting. Get the champagne or pitchforks ready guys.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 7:35 AM Post
I was very mixed on this trade to begin with. Part of me is glad it fell through given we were traded for a starting pitcher fresh off TJ surgery and a below average infielder. That being said, for a year and a half of Gomez, there was part of me who wanted to take the chance on Wheeler given we need pitching badly even if he'd only pitch at most two months next season.

It's getting to the point, outside of maybe moving Parra, I'd be fine sitting with the roster as is going into the off-season. If Melvin is truly getting canned or moved up and out of the front office, I'd rather let a fresh set of eyes look at the current roster and make the bigger splash trades after September.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 7:37 AM Post
This is turning into a nightmare for the Brewers. Gomez not tradable, Lind's spot taken up, Parra's still on the team with Upton, Bruce, and Cespedes available.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 7:38 AM Post

GIF Master
TigerUppercut said:
Just for clarification's sake, are these the only two criteria to determine if a trade is good or not this year? I just want to be sure so that when you tell us how much you hate the next trade, I'm not missing something else and we are aware of your personal criteria.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 7:38 AM Post
EauClaireNWL said:
I was very mixed on this trade to begin with. Part of me is glad it fell through given we were traded for a starting pitcher fresh off TJ surgery and a below average infielder. That being said, for a year and a half of Gomez, there was part of me who wanted to take the chance on Wheeler given we need pitching badly even if he'd only pitch at most two months next season.

It's getting to the point, outside of maybe moving Parra, I'd be fine sitting with the roster as is going into the off-season. If Melvin is truly getting canned or moved up and out of the front office, I'd rather let a fresh set of eyes look at the current roster and make the bigger splash trades after September.

I'm thinking a bit that way as well...

The Brewers still could get a top ten pick this year, and that and the CB pick will help.

If the Brewers could swing a deal to get Parra to Pittsburgh for that competitive balance pick and a prospect or two...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 7:39 AM Post
This is setting up to be one heck of a bad trade deadline for the brewers. For a team that basically was the first organization out of the playoff hunt with tradeable assets this season, to see only the ramirez trade thus far with all the other activity going on around them is very disheartening. Still time to change the outlook, but I think the list of potential suitors for what the brewers have to offer is shrinking rapidly.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Carlos Gomez to the Mets for Zack Wheeler and Wilmer Flores
Posted: July 30, 2015, 7:42 AM Post
homer said:
Uh now Alderson is saying there is no trade.

Attachments:

27493538.jpg
27493538.jpg [ 92.16 KiB | Viewed 449 times ]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 7:42 AM Post
So, I guess the only question now is do we have an injured player in Gomez?

He is OPSing 784 in July and isnt missing games? As an aside, I noticed he has 14 walks in 91 PAs. Not to go there, but I will, Flores has 13 walks in 361 PAs.

Unless he has a degenerative injury, it would seem the best action would be to shut him down, pile up the good medical reports and put him back on the market?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 7:46 AM Post
I fully expect something to go down by the deadline; don't know who but something will happen. You don't almost trade Gomez and end up sitting on your butt.

Kind of surreal how everything played out last night. It seems odd that the Brewers backed out over medicals; I mean what would you expect? I did have TJ. As for Gomez I think if that really was the deciding factor for the Mets to back out than it was probably a cop out as a way to get out of a deal that Alderson 2nd guessed himself on. Or Wilpon told him to get out of it. Who the heck knows. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a burned bridge between the two teams now.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 7:49 AM Post
LouisEly, are you saying that you don't believe the deal is dead?? Not only did I read it on the internet, but I have seen quotes from both GMs saying that the deal is dead as well as a video of Alderson talking to the press stating that the deal is dead.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 7:50 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
Flores doesn't improve the 2016 team? Nonsense.

My guess is you'll be underwhelmed by what they do end up with.

So most people on here basically say Segura is 'replacement level' and really not good. Yet Flores improves the team? Only thing it helps is to be a 'replacement level' player at 3B through the next couple crap years instead of whatever else we have. Really could get about the same from Sardinas and not have to give up our best asset.

If there is concern on Gomez's hip and not great play this year. Hold him, let him get healthy and/or play well the last couple months and trade him in the offseason. Need to get more back than a TJ pitcher and a middling IF, which we already have a few. If he was a FA this year then yea take what you can get but there is no rush right now.[/quote]

Well, Flores (at 3b or 2b) is likely to be better than Segura. He's just a better hitter. And it's not out of the realm of possibility that a 23 year old player who raked as a too-young-for-his-level minor leaguer could improve is it? He's oozing potential offensively and if he can handle short at all, he should be able to handle 3b adequately.

I hate the Cubs. I hope they die.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 8:01 AM Post
Well, Flores (at 3b or 2b) is likely to be better than Segura. He's just a better hitter. And it's not out of the realm of possibility that a 23 year old player who raked as a too-young-for-his-level minor leaguer could improve is it? He's oozing potential offensively and if he can handle short at all, he should be able to handle 3b adequately

Those are guys you take for lesser players than Gomez. Gomez was the guy that was going to help bring the Brewers back a package that would bring us back to elite status.

The reality is Flores profiles a whole lot closer to Yuni than Miggy. He would almost certainly become this boards (and correctly so) most frustrating player to watch. Yes, he is 23, and yes he was a top 100 prospect. Yes, he will play in the majors. So ends the positives though.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... wi01.shtml

I get the Wheeler love and I was happy to have him, though he isn't a sure thing due to TJ, rolling control clock, and his walks. Flores was picked because he fills a hole at 3B at the major league level, and those are trades that you make if you want to be mediocre.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 8:02 AM Post
I heard Melvin was supposed to be on WTMJ this morning, did anyone hear the interview?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 8:06 AM Post
Boomer5 said:
Well, Flores (at 3b or 2b) is likely to be better than Segura. He's just a better hitter. And it's not out of the realm of possibility that a 23 year old player who raked as a too-young-for-his-level minor leaguer could improve is it? He's oozing potential offensively and if he can handle short at all, he should be able to handle 3b adequately

Those are guys you take for lesser players than Gomez. Gomez was the guy that was going to help bring the Brewers back a package that would bring us back to elite status.

The reality is Flores profiles a whole lot closer to Yuni than Miggy. He would almost certainly become this boards (and correctly so) most frustrating player to watch. Yes, he is 23, and yes he was a top 100 prospect. Yes, he will play in the majors. So ends the positives though.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... wi01.shtml

I get the Wheeler love and I was happy to have him, though he isn't a sure thing due to TJ, rolling control clock, and his walks. Flores was picked because he fills a hole at 3B at the major league level, and those are trades that you make if you want to be mediocre.

Lol. He profiles closer to Yuni than Miggy huh? Wow. Way to go out on a limb.

His power potential makes him an intriguing 3b candidate. This was an excellent trade and I'm sorry it fell through. Wheeler obviously being the bigger part of it.

I hate the Cubs. I hope they die.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 8:10 AM Post
Patrick425 said:
LouisEly, are you saying that you don't believe the deal is dead?? Not only did I read it on the internet, but I have seen quotes from both GMs saying that the deal is dead as well as a video of Alderson talking to the press stating that the deal is dead.

Other way around. People thought there was a deal just because it was reported by someone on the web/social media, and not announced.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 8:12 AM Post
So he has potential and Segura doesn't? they're one year apart in age. He's better now? he has a .281 obp, worse than the main thing Segura gets ripped for. The guy has been up for 2.5 years and never an OBP over .285. The only difference is power potential, most people rip on our management for getting so many power guys with low contact/obp guys, that's what he looks like. I didn't look at his K rate but he looks like low obp but some power for an infielder, and he's probably more capable of playing 3B than Segura. I guess if I was doing a straight up trade of the two I'd probably take a flyer on Flores over Segura the chance that he can improve his avg/obp, whereas Segura probably is what he is at this point. But it's pretty debatable and in this trade we'd be giving up one of the best players baseball the last two years. Gotta have more than a so/so IF prospect back and pitcher on TJ.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Carlos Gomez to the Mets for Zack Wheeler and Wilmer Flores (Latest: MAYBE NOT??? Mets GM says trade "not happening", see #185).
Posted: July 30, 2015, 8:14 AM Post
Global Moderator
Fear The Chorizo said:
Mets will now offer Flores and bonilla's remain contract.

There were many great comments, but I particularly enjoyed this one. Well done.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 8:22 AM Post
LouisEly said:
Patrick425 said:

Other way around. People thought there was a deal just because it was reported by someone on the web/social media, and not announced.

Ahhh, I get it. Yeah, ok, I'm a little slow sometimes.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 8:24 AM Post
Anyone else starting to get concerned that we waited too long, particularly on Parra? Other teams are filling holes, my teams are now selling and yet we're still sitting here having done nothing other than trade Ramirez.

I'll wait to judge until after the deadline, but to this point, DM sure seems to be blowing this.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next  [ 533 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply