LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next  [ 536 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Gomez not traded/Flores cries/Alderson angry/Haudricourt confused/Melvin nonplussed/Gomez=Not Injured/Scott Boras MAD/Mets are lying liars

Offline  Re: Gomez not traded/Flores cries/Alderson angry/Haudricourt confused/Melvin nonplussed/Wheeler MRI=Bad?/Gomez MRI=Bad!, Or Not?/And Scott Boras
Posted: July 30, 2015, 8:25 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
So he has potential and Segura doesn't? they're one year apart in age. He's better now? he has a .281 obp, worse than the main thing Segura gets ripped for. The guy has been up for 2.5 years and never an OBP over .285. The only difference is power potential, most people rip on our management for getting so many power guys with low contact/obp guys, that's what he looks like. I didn't look at his K rate but he looks like low obp but some power for an infielder, and he's probably more capable of playing 3B than Segura. I guess if I was doing a straight up trade of the two I'd probably take a flyer on Flores over Segura the chance that he can improve his avg/obp, whereas Segura probably is what he is at this point. But it's pretty debatable and in this trade we'd be giving up one of the best players baseball the last two years. Gotta have more than a so/so IF prospect back and pitcher on TJ.

Flores, I didn't mind... but Wheeler would have made the deal a no-go.

I'd have wanted Michael Fulmer and Gabriel Ynoa instead.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Gomez not traded/Flores cries/Alderson angry/Haudricourt confused/Melvin nonplussed/Wheeler MRI=Bad?/Gomez MRI=Bad!, Or Not?/And Scott Boras
Posted: July 30, 2015, 8:33 AM Post
I was kind of excited to get Wheeler. Dude has ace stuff, of course after TJ surgery no guarantee but seems these days most guys come back fine from it.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 8:33 AM Post
Global Moderator
brwrsfan said:
Anyone else starting to get concerned that we waited too long, particularly on Parra? Other teams are filling holes, my teams are now selling and yet we're still sitting here having done nothing other than trade Ramirez.

I'll wait to judge until after the deadline, but to this point, DM sure seems to be blowing this.

I think .. yeah, that a lot of people get the sense that Melvin is (and always has) been the type of guy to wait, and wait, and wait, and wait to try to get the best deal possible when he's dealing talent for prospects. It's probably bitten him in the ass many times.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Gomez not traded/Flores cries/Alderson angry/Haudricourt confused/Melvin nonplussed/Wheeler MRI=Bad?/Gomez MRI=Bad!, Or Not?/And Scott Boras
Posted: July 30, 2015, 8:36 AM Post
Doug Melvin confident nothing wrong with the hip on Carlos Gomez. MRI weeks back wasn't even of his hip.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 8:39 AM Post
Joel Sherman's tweets say Melvin confirms it was the Mets that backed out. Says there is nothing wrong with his hip but Mets were cautious due to money.

Melvin said #Brewers will "regroup" tmrw to see if they can find another trade for Gomez, or decide to just keep him

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Gomez not traded/Flores cries/Alderson angry/Haudricourt confused/Melvin nonplussed/Wheeler MRI=Bad?/Gomez MRI=Bad!, Or Not?/And Scott Boras
Posted: July 30, 2015, 8:48 AM Post
Mets wanted us to eat money on a absolute bargain contract? Wow talk about being cheap.

I think the Mets doctors are idiots(very possible) or the Mets got cold feet.

I truly believe there is nothing serious enough to make you overly concerned with Gomez.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 8:54 AM Post
Boomer5 said:
Joel Sherman's tweets say Melvin confirms it was the Mets that backed out. Says there is nothing wrong with his hip but Mets were cautious due to money.

Melvin said #Brewers will "regroup" tmrw to see if they can find another trade for Gomez, or decide to just keep him

Yeah, they wanted the Brewers to eat some of Gomez's contract and/or take Lagares back (who's owed some $$) instead of Flores. That's probably where the rumors of Melvin wanting one of the "Big Four" came from, I would guess. Melvin said the MRI the Mets looked at weren't even up of his hip.

So ultimately they realized what their budget for OF was going to look like in '16 and pulled some crap about having a medical issue. Which is a crappy way to get out of an agreed-upon deal, but also it poisons the perceived value of Gomez.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 8:56 AM Post
Tom ‏@Haudricourt 55s55 seconds ago
The more details I get on nixed Gomez trade, the more it sounds as if it became more financial matter than medical matter. Anyone surprised?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 8:56 AM Post
Point Beer Is Best said:
Boomer5 said:

Yeah, they wanted the Brewers to eat some of Gomez's contract and/or take Lagares back (who's owed some $$) instead of Flores. That's probably where the rumors of Melvin wanting one of the "Big Four" came from, I would guess. Melvin said the MRI the Mets looked at weren't even up of his hip.

So ultimately they realized what their budget for OF was going to look like in '16 and pulled some crap about having a medical issue. Which is a crappy way to get out of an agreed-upon deal, but also it poisons the perceived value of Gomez.

The Mets are still paying Bobby Bonilla and they are asking the Brewers to pay some of a bargain contract for Gomez? Thanks but no thanks

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 9:04 AM Post
Point Beer Is Best said:
Boomer5 said:

I have a feeling the Mets are widely known as buffoons so we should be ok. Call the Indians and get Kaminsky and Carrasco and one of their prized OF's and move on.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 9:05 AM Post
What sucks is this diminishes value of Gomez - whether the medical issue is true or isn't

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 9:07 AM Post
Bombers said:
What sucks is this diminishes value of Gomez - whether the medical issue is true or isn't

No it really doesnt. Other teams are not stupid. If they want Gomez they are not going to let a pr stunt keep them from going after him. It only diminishes his value to the general sports fans. GMs may try to use it as leverage but if more than one team is involved that leverage gets tossed out the window

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 9:07 AM Post
I bet Alderson felt pressure to get a big bat and got it despite the money. Once the owner got wind he said no way we are not doing that so they came up with BS medical complaints.

It is crazy, but right now it sounds very real.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 9:12 AM Post
If the Mets are that dead broke that they can't afford a good player like Gomez on a reasonable contract then they are a complete mess. Sooner or later it will come out that Wilpon killed the deal. That might explain why the GM sounded so pissed; he got the rug pulled out from under him. Somehow the Mets think they are going to find a good offensive player that costs even less than Gomez that won't cost them any good players. Good luck with that

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 9:12 AM Post
Well we still have Parra / Lind / Gomez / K Rod / Cotts / etc on this team and a day and a half to make me happy and trade em all... Its gonna be depressing when we only trade one of em

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 9:26 AM Post
Haudricourt just posted this blog on the JSOnline (free access) which puts a lot more details into seemingly proper context. I appreciate the last sentence gives proper credit to Doug Melvin for how he handled this whole thing. I also appreciate TH's distinct efforts at accurate reporting.

Both Brewers general manager Doug Melvin and agent Scott Boras disputed the notion Thursday morning that centerfielder Carlos Gomez has a hip issue serious enough to flunk a medical review.

The Brewers thought they had a deal with the Mets on Wednesday evening to send Gomez to New York in exchange for injured pitcher Zack Wheeler and infielder Wilmer Flores. That deal was called off by the Mets over what they said was a hip issue with Gomez that concerned them.

Boras, who represents Gomez, said Gomez never had a hip issue to begin with and certainly doesn't have one now. Boras said the health problem Gomez had in early June was something else that since had been medically cleared.

"Carlos never had any issue with his hip," Boras said in a telephone interview Thursday morning. "He had an abductor and groin issue a few weeks ago and just to make sure he was OK, we requested the team do an MRI that showed his abductor had healed with medication. The doctor just happened to throw in, 'By the way, his hip structurally and tissue-wise is clean.'

"So, we have evidence that a doctor on record said his hip in fact was clean. So, why did this become an issue."

Melvin, who would only say Wednesday night that a medical issue arose that nixed the trade, reiterated Thursday morning that the Brewers felt Gomez's hip was fine.

“Carlos Gomez, in my mind, is healthy," Melvin told FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal. "There’s no issue. We don’t feel there’s anything wrong with his hip.”

So, what really happened that led to the Mets calling off the deal? A source familiar with the talks on both sides said a series of events that were actually financial, not medical, were the key factors.

That source said in initial talks, the Mets wanted the Brewers to take centerfielder Juan Lagares in the trade. The Brewers said no, in part because Lagares has an elbow issue but also because he has a four-year, $23 million contract extension that kicks in next year and they didn't want to pick up the money.

So, after further talks, it was decided that the Brewers would take Flores in addition to Wheeler, who is recovering from Tommy John surgery and won't be able to pitch before next June. The source said the Mets then asked the Brewers to throw in the 2016 Competitive Balance Round B pick they were recently awarded and the Brewers said no.

The source said the Brewers then were asked to put some money in the trade to cover part of what's remaining on Gomez's contract, including a $9 million salary next year. Considering the talent level of Gomez and his reasonable contract, the Brewers understandably declined to put any cash into the deal.

It was only then, according to the source, that the Mets came back and said they were calling off the deal because of concerns over Gomez's medical records.

So, this became a financial issue in the end, which many people would say is not surprising considering the financial constraints the Mets have been operating under in recent years.

And I'm guessing the Brewers are none too thrilled about how this transpired, though the diplomatic Melvin would never say so.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 9:31 AM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
Wow - glad Melvin balked at giving up any combination of the things mentioned. The Mets really have egg on their face after this.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2015, 9:35 AM Post
And That said:
Wow - glad Melvin balked at giving up any combination of the things mentioned. The Mets really have egg on their face after this.

Agreed.

I mean, I'd have had no trouble covering some of Gomez's salary, but the Mets would have had to give up a prospect for that consideration.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Gomez not traded/Flores cries/Alderson angry/Haudricourt confused/Melvin nonplussed/Gomez=Not Injured/Scott Boras MAD/Mets are idiots
Posted: July 30, 2015, 9:37 AM Post
The NY Mets were asking the Milwaukee Brewers for salary relief. Let that sink in.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Gomez not traded/Flores cries/Alderson angry/Haudricourt confused/Melvin nonplussed/Gomez=Not Injured/Scott Boras MAD/Mets are idiots
Posted: July 30, 2015, 9:44 AM Post
I am glad this didn't happen. Especially with all the extra crap the Mets wanted. Even Flores and Wheeler straight up for Gomez sounds like a bad deal. Flores is marginally better than Segura and a little younger. If I had to pick I would take Flores but I wouldn't give up anything to get him.

Fan is short for fanatic.
I blame Wang.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next  [ 536 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply