LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 49 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Rule 5 Protection -- Latest: Brewers expect to lose Eric Farris in Minor League Phase

Offline  Rule 5 Protection -- Latest: Brewers expect to lose Eric Farris in Minor League Phase

Posted: September 04, 2012, 11:50 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Everyone, we were able to confirm via the Brewers that Kentrail Davis and Scooter Gennett do need to be protected this year, so this and the few following posts below have been modified.

Not to be confused with our Brewer Minor League Free Agency Eligibles After the 2012 Season Thread, this thread focuses on those players who will be eligible to be selected in December 6th's Rule 5 Draft, and considers who Milwaukee should add to the 40-man roster to protect.

Remember --

Players who signed when 18 or younger are eligible for the draft after five years.
Players who signed when 19 or older are eligible after four years.

According to the rules, it's how old a player was on the June 5th immediately preceeding his signing.

So in terms of 40-man roster consideration, these are the players not eligible for free agency, but who would be Rule 5 eligible if not placed on the 40-man roster.

Players listed alphabetically within level:

Current AAA Players --

RHP Jairo Asencio
C Dayton Buller
RHP Hiram Burgos
OF Khris Davis
RHP Frankie De La Cruz
2B Eric Farris
1B Sean Halton
RHP Donovan Hand
LHP Zach Kroenke
C Blake Lalli
RHP Rob Wooten

Current AA Players --

RHP Darren Byrd
OF Kentrail Davis
2B Scooter Gennett
OF Lee Haydel
RHP Kyle Heckathorn
OF Brock Kjeldgaard
RHP Andre Lamontagne
RHP Johnnie Lowe
LHP Daniel Meadows
OF/INF Josh Prince
RHP Cody Scarpetta
RHP R.J. Seidel

Current A-Level (or below) players --

RHP Hitaniel Arias
RHP Eric Arnett
RHP Nick Bucci
RHP Tyler Cravy
C Jose Garcia
SS Carlos George
SS Hector Gomez
OF Yonki Hernandez
RHP Maverick Lasker
C Joey Paciorek
C Emmanuel Quiles
LHP Jose Ramos
RHP Francisco Rivero
OF Franklin Romero, Jr.
OF Chadwin Stang
RHP Stosh Wawrzasek
C Shawn Zarraga

Offline  Re: Rule 5 Protection

Posted: September 04, 2012, 11:51 AM Post

Global Moderator
Will the Brewers have some tough 40-man choices to make?

Current roster is at 34 players

Here are the current 40-man roster players who were added during the course of the season --

INF Jeff Bianchi
RHP Jim Henderson
RHP Brandon Kintzler
RHP Tyler Thornburg

Offline  Re: Rule 5 Protection

Posted: September 04, 2012, 2:16 PM Post

Global Moderator
Our prior attempts at this thread did not list Kentrail Davis (well it did, then it didn't, now it does again) or Scooter Gennett.

Even though neither played in 2009, and both signed 2010 contracts in August 2009, they do qualify based on the note from above:

According to the rules, it's how old a player was on the June 5th immediately preceeding his signing.

We imagine things will look like this now in terms of 40-man roster additions --

2B Scooter Gennett, OF's Kentrail Davis and Khris Davis, RHP's Nick Bucci and Hiram Burgos

Now I had also predicted relievers Brandon Kintzler and Jesus Sanchez in the minor league free agent thread. Kintzler obviously was, and Sanchez was before he could break free.

Offline  Re: Rule 5 Protection -- The 2012 Decisions To Be Made (Several need to be added to 40-man)

Posted: September 17, 2012, 9:36 AM Post

Global Moderator
Before this thread was retro-fitted with the new info on Kentrail Davis and Scooter Gennett, there was a discussion within it on 40-man roster salary info. That thread has been split out here.

Sorry about the confusion on the earlier attempts, folks. Thanks for bearing with us.

Offline  Re: Rule 5 Protection -- Latest: Brewers expect to lose Eric Farris in Minor League Phase

Posted: September 17, 2012, 11:29 AM Post
Mass, I'm not sure all the Latin players are eligible. I thought there was a rule that if a player is in a summer league in a foreign nation (eg, DSL), that does not count towards their clocks for rule 5 eligibility.

Offline  Re: Rule 5 Protection -- The 2012 Decisions To Be Made (Several need to be added to 40-man)

Posted: September 17, 2012, 5:38 PM Post
2B Scooter Gennett, OF's Kentrail Davis and Khris Davis, RHP's Nick Bucci and Hiram Burgos

Mass,

I agree, these are the 5 I had listed. Josh Prince could also be considered but is a longshot. A team could pick him and use him as a possible utility player though.

Posted: September 18, 2012, 1:49 PM Post
Given the bullpen situation in Milwaukee I could see protecting Wooten instead of Bucci and seeing if he can be of use next year. I think the other 4 may be the consensus picks.

Offline  Re: Rule 5 Protection -- Latest: Brewers expect to lose Eric Farris in Minor League Phase

Posted: September 18, 2012, 9:25 PM Post
I could see Bucci with a strong AFL, but I could also see teams failing to take him. I definitely see Wooten getting taken in the Rule V

Posted: September 19, 2012, 9:24 AM Post
It would be extremely foolish to not protect Bucci. A team that is out of contention would quickly snap him up and hide him in the BP for a year. He has mid-rotation SP capability and isn't that far off of the MLB (should have been at AA if it wasn't for injuries).

The Stars gave away unique Father's Day bobbleheads of Hunter Morris, holding his young son Tripp.

But teammate Mitch Stetter offered this up on Twitter: "Hunter Morris bobble head... Still trying to figure out why he's holding Scooter Gennett"

Posted: September 19, 2012, 10:55 AM Post
I would like to see them keep Bucci still has time to grow just needs to saty healthy.

Posted: September 19, 2012, 9:45 PM Post
teams don't have very good rates of keeping pitchers stashed away in pens, even though theoretically it should make sense. He could get taken, but I don't really foresee it. I think teams would rather take a likely reliable reliever than a prospect that may leave the bullpen short-handed all year long.

Posted: October 12, 2012, 5:17 PM Post
Eric Farris and Cody Scarpetta were outrighted to Nashville.

Posted: October 21, 2012, 6:36 AM Post

Global Moderator
Josh Prince is putting himself squarely on track for 40-man roster protection with another amazing night in the Fall League (OPS now at 1.074 through nine games). His .346 AA OBP and tremendous defensive flexibility are priming him for a 2014 right-handed utility spot on the Brewers bench. Gotta admit not projecting that 40-man roster protection decision a few weeks ago.

Players need to be added by November 20th, so don't look for any additions to the 40-man from the farm until that date or just before.

Posted: October 23, 2012, 11:23 PM Post
I'd have to agree w/ you, Mass, on your first 5 listed, plus maybe possibly Josh Prince as someone with the potential to be another version of Bianchi. But esp. w/ the BP situation in Milwaukee, I could also see rationale for any of Wooten, Hand, Meadows, Heckathorn, & maybe even Arnett (though how likely he'd be to be drafted is questionable), as well as Halton.

I could see 40-man spots possibly being opened from these guys:

FAs: K-Rod, Marcum, Gonzalez (possibly re-signed, but he'd still be an FA first)
non-tendered: Parra, Loe, Morgan (personally, I'd keep Veras)
outrighted/demoted or released (& poss. brought back on a NRI deal): Miguel De Los Santos, Stinson

Posted: October 26, 2012, 2:45 PM Post

Global Moderator
Baseball America's Transaction Update:

Signed as a catcher by the Yankees in ’04, Jesus Sanchez made his way to the Phillies in the July ’06 Bobby Abreu trade. After hitting .186 in 35 games for low Class A Lakeland in ’08, Philadelphia converted him into a righty starter for the ’09 season. Sanchez reached high Class A Clearwarter in the Phillies system and finished with a solid 2.99 ERA and 1.10 WHIP, but he got released from the 40-man during a roster crunch following the ’10 season. The Brewers signed him to a minor league deal within two weeks. Milwaukee shifted Sanchez to the bullpen this season and he took off, peaking at 97 mph with a good slider and reaching Triple-A Nashville in the second half. He finished the year with 72 innings in 52 appearances and strong ratios—8.0 strikeouts, 2.8 walks, 0.3 homers and 7.2 hits per nine innings— and he held Triple-A righthanders to a batting line of .209/.292/.233. Now he's pitching in the Venezuelan League as a member of the Brewers' 40-man roster.

Posted: October 31, 2012, 2:59 PM Post

Global Moderator
In Doug Melvin's WSSP appearance today, he confirmed that Hiram Burgos will be a 40-man roster addition, which we all figured after his breakout season.

Online  Re: Rule 5 Protection -- Latest: Brewers expect to lose Eric Farris in Minor League Phase

Posted: November 02, 2012, 2:23 PM Post

Roster Guru
with a bunch of moves in recent days, the brewers' roster is at 33. granted, at least two spots should be reserved for free agent signings (hopefully pitchers), but if you're a brewers minor league prospect gunning for a major league roster spot, you have to like your chances of being added.

Online  Re: Rule 5 Protection -- Latest: Brewers expect to lose Eric Farris in Minor League Phase

Posted: November 02, 2012, 4:59 PM Post

Roster Guru
doug melvin stated that four to six players could be added.

Posted: November 03, 2012, 7:41 PM Post
Brewers sign 25 year old Michael Olmsted and add him to the 40 man roster. He was drafted by the Mets, had Tommy John surgery and got released, went to Japan and then the Red Sox. 92 strikeouts in 59.1 innings last year.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/177121731.html

Posted: November 04, 2012, 1:58 AM Post

Global Moderator
More on Olmsted in Major League Forum, including video.

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 49 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test