LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 94 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Brewers sign Michael Olmsted

Offline  Re: Brewers sign Michael Olmsted

Posted: November 04, 2012, 12:47 PM Post
That picture is awesome. Had to make it my avi.

Follow me on Twitter

Posted: November 04, 2012, 1:29 PM Post

Resident Hipster
Global Moderator
This dude is an inch taller than me, at least 40 pounds heavier, and his mustache is 100x sweeter.

I feel as humbled as I've ever been.

Offline  Re:

Posted: November 04, 2012, 2:16 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
... I'm a bit disturbed Parra has yet to be released. They do need to get a reliable lefty in the pen and I hope Parra isn't their fall back. Narveson maybe, but please not Parra....

Just because Manny Parra's still here doesn't mean he'll be on the roster next year. They still have a good while before they have to decide whether or not to tender Parra a 2013 contract. There's no hurry to make a move unless they're in a rush to clear more space on the 40-man.

I wonder if they're hoping for the possibility of Parra being someone who can add some value to the Brewers' end of a trade package. Parra has plenty of warts, but he also has some value.

Back on-topic, I think I like the Olmsted signing. But there's also a ton of time left before ST and a whole lot of things could happen that could affect whether or not Olmsted -- or a number of others -- remains on the 40-man all the way to ST.

Offline  Re: Re:

Posted: November 04, 2012, 3:51 PM Post
MNBrew said:
Back on-topic, I think I like the Olmsted signing. But there's also a ton of time left before ST and a whole lot of things could happen that could affect whether or not Olmsted -- or a number of others -- remains on the 40-man all the way to ST.

Clearly, DM sees a bit of himself on the upper lip of Olmsted, and that helps his chances.

Posted: November 04, 2012, 4:22 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Mass Haas said:
YouTube -- Big Dude, and yes, you must read story linked in prior post. Hard to believe Sox didn't add him to their own 40-man.

Am I the only one who didn't find him impressive in that video?

BA: Have you ever caught? For half a population, you know what he's going through right now.
Rock: Yep, on a bounce, & uh, gets 'im. That shouldn't happen on 4th of July, should it?
BA: No -- speakin' of liberty bell...

Posted: November 04, 2012, 4:52 PM Post
TooLiveBrew said:
Mass Haas said:
YouTube -- Big Dude, and yes, you must read story linked in prior post. Hard to believe Sox didn't add him to their own 40-man.

Am I the only one who didn't find him impressive in that video?

Hard to tell.... I find myself wondering, though, if he doesn't become a potential Kameron Loe-type (thinking serious height = the pronounced downhill plane they like so much) but younger, cheaper, more gas on his FB, bigger waistline, & a Melvin-esque cookie duster.

Posted: November 04, 2012, 5:29 PM Post
Why is this guy available? I know he's 25 years old, but 14 K/9, 2.5 BB/9 in 60 innings in A+ and AA last season? It would be pretty silly to not give this guy a look.

Posted: November 04, 2012, 5:30 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
The battle begins... Stosh v. Stache!

Image ... Image

BA: Have you ever caught? For half a population, you know what he's going through right now.
Rock: Yep, on a bounce, & uh, gets 'im. That shouldn't happen on 4th of July, should it?
BA: No -- speakin' of liberty bell...

Posted: November 04, 2012, 7:15 PM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
If you first checked out the SoxProspects.com thread earlier today, quite a bit more discussion has continued there.

Part of that includes this update as to the current status of the Red Sox 40-man roster situation. That's at best a middling collection of relief arms the Sox feel they're tied to at the moment.

Really makes you apprecate the 40-man roster management Doug has exhibited during his tenure. Hard to believe anyone's been any better. The complete list of players Melvin has lost to waiver claims (not a single tear to shed!):

Ransom , Cody
Izturis , Cesar
Conrad , Brooks
Wheeler , Zelous
De La Cruz , Frankie
Heether , Adam
Iribarren , Hernan
Bourgeois , Jason
Swindle , R.J.
Pena , Luis
Dillon , Joe
Anderson , Drew
Aquino , Greg
Liriano , Pedro
Bausher , Tim

It's incredible, actually. Compare that to the value obtained via waiver claims. Again, the complete list (key contributors in italics), recent first, thus ending with Melvin's infamous very first Milwaukee player transaction:

Leon , Arcenio
De Los Santos , Miguel
Gomez , Hector
Ransom , Cody
Stinson , Josh
Bianchi , Jeff
Wilson , Josh
Herrera , Daniel Ray
Mercedes , Roque
James , Justin
Estrada , Marco
Inglett , Joe
Cruz , Luis
Kottaras , George
Koshansky , Joe
Littleton , Wes
Green , Nick
McGehee , Casey
Coffey , Todd

Gardner , Richie
Munson , Eric
Salas , Marino
Closser , J.D.
Balfour , Grant
Spurling , Chris
Mabeus , Chris
Perkins , Vince
Sorensen , Zach
Turnbow , Derrick
Narron , Sam
Harper , Jesse
Nicolas , Mike
Clark , Brady
Podsednik , Scott

Posted: November 04, 2012, 7:32 PM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Interesting Peter Gammons tweet:

(I'm up to) 4 "what-roster-problems-forced-Boston-to-leave Mike Olmsted off 40-man roster" texts and emails, all from GMs

Online  Re: Brewers sign Michael Olmsted

Posted: November 04, 2012, 10:02 PM Post
Brewers might have a sleeper

Posted: November 05, 2012, 12:17 AM Post
Jeez, is that Margie's son?

Posted: November 05, 2012, 11:30 AM Post
I love this signing. Not exactly anything great from him but hopefully he can lock up a spot in the pen. Love this for the fact these are types of signing's that I wish Melvin would do more of. Get 10 or 12 of these guys and just go into spring and the best 7 make it. Seems pretty simple

Posted: November 05, 2012, 11:35 AM Post
DoubleSwitch said:
Spidey said:
I think we have our 1st nickname candidate for Olmsted courtesy of SoxProspects.com:

"This town needed El Guapo Blanco."

Have to pull out all my old high school Spanish knowledge for this one, the handsome white guy? I like it.

I thought it was supposed to be a "Three Amigos!" reference. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092086/

Clearly one of us has been set up for disappointment.

Posted: November 05, 2012, 1:37 PM Post
Mass Haas said:
Interesting Peter Gammons tweet:

(I'm up to) 4 "what-roster-problems-forced-Boston-to-leave Mike Olmsted off 40-man roster" texts and emails, all from GMs

How did the Brewers get this guy if so many MLB GMs were so hot after him? Was there a claim order and he fell to them (which would imply Gammons tweet was BS) or did the Brewers pay him a little bit more than anyone else as some sort of free agent.

Last edited by Roderick on November 05, 2012, 4:10 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: November 05, 2012, 1:52 PM Post
Signing a bunch of project guys for cheap is fine but remember somewhere there is someone commenting on how glad they are to see so and so gone that the Brewer's will pick up.

Also someone will pick up a Loe or Parra and say how they can't believe the team let a lefty with 95 MPH heat go or a big guy with sink, etc. If we can just tweak this or that he'll be a great find.

Seems a lot of shuffling and hoping to fix someone else's problems or a grass is greener hot stove that always happens with bullpen guys. Someone the Brewers find will turn out decent, someone they let go will reappear as a decent player.

Posted: November 05, 2012, 1:59 PM Post
I'd be okay going with Olmsted and Jeffress (along with Henderson and Kintzler) as main cogs in our bullpen prior to getting Axford the ball in the ninth. I am not sure a five million a year veteran will do any better, and I'd have no problem saving some cash from the bullpen to get an Edwin Jackson/Anibal Sanchez as our number two starter.

Posted: November 05, 2012, 2:07 PM Post
Also someone will pick up a Loe or Parra and say how they can't believe the team let a lefty with 95 MPH heat go or a big guy with sink, etc. If we can just tweak this or that he'll be a great find.

And they'd be a pretty uninformed baseball fan as both Parra and Loe have years of stats facing major league hitters. Their stats say a lot more about them than their scouting reports....

Posted: November 05, 2012, 2:09 PM Post
MJLiverock, well said, but I think that this approach in the pen as "hate those rodents" said, is an ok approach. It seems like the pen is always a guess when it comes to the average guys, so I'd rather go with project guys, and hope one sticks. I'm ok with spending some money on a closer, setup guy, when appropriate, but I just don't understand how to value these guys. It's tough.

Posted: November 05, 2012, 2:15 PM Post
i wont be sad to see parra leave but i could definatly see him producing in someone elses pen.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 94 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply