LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Test

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 142 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Minor League Transaction Thread-- Latest: Nelson to AAA, Gagnon to AA

Offline  Re: Offseason Minor League Transaction Thread

Posted: December 22, 2012, 4:06 PM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
Career stats at each linked name --

Darn, it wasn't a good week if you were a late round 2011 draft pick or a non-drafted free agent signing that year and you were hoping to be a future LH reliever with the Crew. Combination of age/performance/projection probably factored into these three southpaw releases by the Crew, as noted by Matt Eddy of Baseball America.

Two Big East seniors drafted in 2011 -- Elliot Glynn of UConn (39th round) and Mike Francisco of Villanova (48th round), along with non-drafted free agent Conner Whalen, received bad pre-holiday news this week.

Whalen, out of UC-Santa Barbara, turns 25 in April. Francisco turned 24 last August, Glynn will be 23 in January.

As always, wishing these former Brewer farmhands well in their future efforts, whether another affiliated chance, indy ball, coaching, or non-baseball endeavors.

Offline  Re: Offseason Minor League Transaction Thread -- Latest: INF Blake Davis signed, three LHP's released

Posted: December 22, 2012, 8:49 PM Post

Global Moderator
News today via Adam McCalvy that RHP Jim Hoey (career stats) is the latest minor league signing. He'll turn 30 on 12/30.

Offline  Re: Offseason Minor League Transaction Thread -- Latest: INF Blake Davis and RHP Jim Hoey signed, three LHP's released

Posted: December 22, 2012, 9:45 PM Post

Global Moderator
From 11/02/12 --

MLB pitcher, Hamilton alumn Jim Hoey to host golf tournament
By Paul Franklin/For The Trenton (N.J.) Times

Relationships are important to Jim Hoey. Whether it’s baseball or golf, he’s all in. That will be a major factor when he decides who to sign with in his free-agent year, and those were factors when he put together his charity golf tournament.

A Hamilton High School graduate with two-plus years in the major leagues, he is hosting his first annual Jim Hoey Charity Golf Tournament on Nov. 12 at Old York Country Club in Chesterfield.

He doesn’t exactly strike a golf ball with the efficiency he strikes out batters, but as he describes the upcoming day, “It’s gonna be a fun, non-serious event. It’s gonna be an amazing event.”

One hundred golfers already have signed on, with the maximum set at 144. Hoey shoots in the low 90s, so the pressure’s off.

The event will benefit both the Wounded Warriors Project and the Leukemia Lymphoma Society of America. For information and to sign up, visit his website at http://www.jimhoeyscharitygolf.com.

“Those are two closest to my heart,” Hoey said of the organizations. “Both my grandfathers and my brother-in-law were in the military and I was in JROTC in high school, and my one grandfather passed from leukemia.”

The idea for the charity resulted from his experience when he participated in a similar event while playing for the Minnesota Twins in 2011.

“I loved meeting the people and the cause,” he said. “I started golfing four years ago, and it’s something I like to do now and I enjoy raising money for these causes.”

He should continue making an income as a professional baseball player as he embarks on the free-agent process this weekend — there is no contact allowed until five days after the World Series.

While money certainly is a factor, the relief pitcher’s priorities are being in the right situation along with some familiar faces.

Though growing up a Yankees fan, he actually would prefer playing for the Phillies or Orioles.

“From a business standpoint,” said Hoey, who was drafted out of Rider University in 2003 by the Baltimore Orioles, “I would have to go to the team where I have the most opportunity to play in the major leagues.

“I have to look at that, and that’s the hardest part. I have to do the research.

“I would love to be on the Phillies. It’s close to home, and I love the starting pitching staff.

“And I’m a real big fan of Roy Halliday. I met him a few years ago, and I really love his personality. He’s just really a nice guy and genuine. So, I look for that.

“I don’t look for a team, I look for people on the team. There are guys you’re gonna work with and guys you’re gonna be friends with and build relationships upon that.’’

He has built relationships with pro ball players for nine years now. Following Tommy John surgery in 2004, from which he also missed the 2005 season, Hoey eventually came up to the Orioles in 2006 at age 24. He appeared in 12 games, having made his debut by walking Tori Hunter.

He appeared in 23 games the following season before being dealt to the Twins’ organization. Arthroscopic shoulder surgery caused him to miss the 2008 season, and when he returned, he was at the Double-A level in Bowie, Md.

In 2011, he appeared in 26 games for Minnesota. Last year, despite a standout spring training with an ERA of 0.00, he was sent to AAA in Toronto’s organization.

His major league totals are a 4-7 record and a 7.02 ERA in 59 innings. He has 38 strikeouts and has given up seven home runs.

In high school, he was 13-1 as a senior when the Hornets won the Group III state title. He had 131 strikeouts with an ERA of 0.48. His high school number was retired five years ago.

He can still bring it, and believes he can still do the job in the bigs.

After all, this is a guy who will never forget being introduced coming in from the bullpen by legendary public-address announcer Bob Sheppard in the old Yankee Stadium. And getting out guys like Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez.

And there was that time with Baltimore when, with the bases loaded, he got his first MLB strikeout by blowing three straight fastballs by Minnesota’s Jason Kubel.

And of course, there were moments like in Tampa Bay, when Carlos Pena hit a home that hit the dome in Tropicana Field.

That’s why, starting yesterday, Hoey began training for next season.

He works out at Game Time Performances in Hamilton and gets his cardio work playing hockey at Ice Land Skating Center.

He’s not sure what he’ll be doing after baseball, but he knows whether it’s in computers or baseball, he’s not ready to put down the rosin.

“I’m a sports guy,” he said.

“I like a challenge and I like playing them. I like teaching. That would be cool. I have options.

“For me, baseball is fun, it’s a challenge and it’s something I have to work for.

“I’ll play until my body gives out,” he said about pro ball. I’ll just do it until I can’t do it anymore.”

Offline  Re: Offseason Minor League Transaction Thread -- Latest: INF Blake Davis and RHP Jim Hoey signed, three LHP's released

Posted: January 02, 2013, 11:24 PM Post
Saw on mlbtraderumors that the brewers signed some guys. Is that Ozzie Chavez our old SS from seemingly a decade ago (with the cool middle name)?

Offline  Re: Minor League Transaction Thread-- Latest: AA RHP Keeling dealt to ATL; RHP Brooks Hall promoted to Huntsville

Posted: January 02, 2013, 11:46 PM Post
Another guy mentioned in that mlbtraderumors.com post is Rene Tosoni, a former Twins OF who got a lot of MLB time in '11 when Twins OFs were dropping like the Twins' loss column was adding up. For all the PT he got, though, he seemed pretty overmatched. I do remember the Twins' broadcasters talking about him as a hitter w/ decent pop in the minors.

I'd guess these are depth moves also aimed to fill out the Nashville roster with some AAA vets.

Posted: January 03, 2013, 1:10 AM Post

Global Moderator
DHonks said:
Saw on mlbtraderumors that the brewers signed some guys. Is that Ozzie Chavez our old SS from seemingly a decade ago (with the cool middle name)?

Ozzie "Smith" Chavez, yes.

Offline  Re:

Posted: January 03, 2013, 10:04 AM Post
MNBrew said:
Another guy mentioned in that mlbtraderumors.com post is Rene Tosoni, a former Twins OF who got a lot of MLB time in '11 when Twins OFs were dropping like the Twins' loss column was adding up. For all the PT he got, though, he seemed pretty overmatched. I do remember the Twins' broadcasters talking about him as a hitter w/ decent pop in the minors.

I'd guess these are depth moves also aimed to fill out the Nashville roster with some AAA vets.

The highlight of Tosoni's career was taking Greinke deep for a 3 run shot after the Brewers had staked him to a 6-1 lead, a game the Brewers eventually lost 9-7. The next day Marcum couldn't hold a big lead after his grand slam.

Can't say I'm all that impressed with him other than that.

Posted: January 05, 2013, 7:41 AM Post

Global Moderator
Outfielder Cole Garner signed. Those numbers sure adjusted in 2012 -- tough to leave those Rockies affiliate locations (it would be so frustrating to follow the Colorado system in detail and try and make sense of the numbers).

So, along with the signing on Rene Tosoni, here's the mix of AAA / AA outfielders as of now:

Caleb Gindl
Khris Davis
Josh Prince
Rene Tosoni
Cole Garner
Kentrail Davis
Brock Kjeldgaard
Lee Haydel
Reggie Keen
T.J. Mittelstaedt (IF/OF)

Haydel has 1303 plate appearances at AA, having spent the past three seasons completely at Huntsville.

Offline  Re: Minor League Transaction Thread-- Latest: AA RHP Keeling dealt to ATL; RHP Brooks Hall promoted to Huntsville

Posted: January 12, 2013, 12:20 PM Post
Josh Prince got a lot of press for being a utility player, but TJ Mittelstaedt is the consummate utility player. I see a lot of Mark Loretta in him.

The Stars gave away unique Father's Day bobbleheads of Hunter Morris, holding his young son Tripp.

But teammate Mitch Stetter offered this up on Twitter: "Hunter Morris bobble head... Still trying to figure out why he's holding Scooter Gennett"

Posted: January 18, 2013, 1:20 PM Post
As per Adam Mac! brewers announce they have signed C Robinzon Diaz to Minors deal

Posted: January 18, 2013, 2:34 PM Post
Going to have to be a big Year for the Davis guy to see if they have potential.

Posted: January 18, 2013, 2:53 PM Post

Global Moderator
This is cool.

After a year in independent ball, OF Chuckie Caufield, a Brewer farmhand from 2006-2011, has been signed to a minor league deal.

Offline  Re: Re:

Posted: January 23, 2013, 6:14 AM Post

Global Moderator
JohnBriggs12 said:
MNBrew said:

The highlight of Tosoni's career was taking Greinke deep for a 3 run shot after the Brewers had staked him to a 6-1 lead, a game the Brewers eventually lost 9-7. The next day Marcum couldn't hold a big lead after his grand slam.

Can't say I'm all that impressed with him other than that.

Tosoni targets fresh start with Brewers
By Dan Olson, Coquitlam (Canada) Now

It isn't a long way from Minneapolis-St. Paul to Milwaukee - just 480 kilometres, to be precise.

Port Coquitlam's Rene Tosoni is hoping he can own every mile of it.

The one-time Minnesota Twins prospect experienced the hard facts of professional sports two months ago when the Twins decided not to offer him a new contract.

The 26-year-old outfielder and his agent didn't have to look long, however, before finding someone who did.

Tosoni signed with the National League's Milwaukee Brewers earlier this month, with an eye on proving that he's more than just organizational depth.

"I'm excited to get this deal, to sign with Milwaukee and get things going," Tosoni told The NOW. "They said I'm a good fit for their organization and they liked what I've done."

Tosoni, who last week was named to Team Canada's roster for the World Baseball Classic, has overcome his shares of bad luck and tough bounces during the past 12 months.

The Twins released him after a couple of injuries kept him on the sidelines for more than half the season. The outfielder first fractured two fingers in just the third game of the season, and suffered a torn pectoral muscle a few weeks after returning from the first injury.

"(The broken fingers) were more [just] aggravating," said Tosoni, who spent six years in Minnesota's farm system. "They felt jammed at the time, and it took a month and a half to get back. My pectoral injury was tough. I thought I just aggravated it and tried to play through it but we later found out it was a tear."

He couldn't establish a good hitting rhythm after coming back, and in the end he played at four different levels - beginning at Triple-A, all the way down to a rookie league rehab assignment.

It was a true test of character, and one he survived with the support of family and friends. Wife Whitney, a fellow Terry Fox Secondary grad, was there to keep him grounded and balanced.

"I had Whitney with me and she was incredible," he noted. "She travelled with me and was with me along the way. I talked with people who had gone through these same kinds of things. There's always people around who want to help."

Overall, he batted just .224 over 90 games, with four home runs and 23 runs batted in. But over his final 10 games with Double-A New Britain and having put the injuries behind him, Tosoni batted .297 with hits in nine of the 10 contests.

Those kinds of numbers were more in line with what he had achieved in healthier seasons prior to his major league call-up - where he began a 60game MLB stint with a seeing-eye single. That 2011 turn in Minnesota also saw him hit five home runs and drive in 22 runs. Although his .203 batting average was less than flattering, he did close out the season with a nine-game hitting streak, including two dingers.

It made the injuries and minor league struggles all the more frustrating for the 2009 All Star Future Game MVP.

Still, when he was told that the Twins were going in another direction and no longer required his services, the former Coquitlam Reds felt some new pressure.

"I was a little (anxious), it was something new for me," he noted. "My agent was telling me not to worry, that he'd gone through this before with other players.

"You're just sitting and waiting for a job. It's part of the business, but it makes you grateful for every opportunity."

Enter Milwaukee, which has a track record when it comes to Canadian content.

General manager Doug Melvin, assistant GM Gord Ash and closer John Axford are all Ontario natives. Tosoni himself was born in Toronto and played for the junior national team. While the Brewers don't make decisions based on nationalities, it is a nice coincidence.

Getting to represent Canada at the WBC this spring will be a nice feather in his cap, Tosoni said.

"It's a huge honour and a great feeling to be able to wear Canada across my chest again. There is just something about playing for your country that is indescribable."

As Spring Training approaches, Tosoni continues to prepare for a competition to impress Brewers coaches. It's the strategy the 36th round draft choice has taken into every training camp.

"Going to a new team, a new manager, you are trying to prove yourself again.

They've seen me play, but you have to show what you can do," the left-handed batter said. "I need to just work hard, show them I'm healthy and can play."

While Minnesota is in the rearview mirror and just another potential opposing team, the PoCo product says his time in the Twin Cities was special.

"That was an incredible moment, an amazing time," he recalled of his debut at Target Field on Apr. 28, 2011. "The Twins gave me an opportunity and you're always going to be respectful of that."

Posted: January 31, 2013, 1:15 PM Post

Global Moderator
As per Matt Eddy of Baseball America --

The Brewers have released Hitaniel Arias and Jose Garcia.

The two of them combined for $1,000,000 of bonus money in 2007 (Garcia $550,000 - Arias $450,000).

Arias (career stats), 22, a 6'6", 230 lb. specimen, failed as an outfielder in his age 17-20 seasons (.636 OPS). The Brewers announced he would attempt to transition to pitcher in 2012, and he did so, but for only two appearances before being sidelined for the duration of the season.

Garcia (career stats) will turn 22 in March. He, too, was looked upon as a potential RH power bat (.600 career OPS), and was also hinted at as a 2012 position change candidate (three games at catcher in 2012, at which he was listed for the first time in the Brewers media guide).

Four years ago, we posted this:

Dominican Republic:

RHP Rolando Pascual, 2005 -- $710,000
OF Jose Garcia, 2007 -- $550,000
RHP Wily Peralta, 2005 -- $450,000
SS Yohannis Perez, 2006 (DR vis Cuba) -- $450,000
OF Hitaniel Arias, 2007 -- $450,000
RHP Roque Mercedes, 2004 -- $375,000
RHP Luis Guerrero, 2007 -- $185,000
RHP Adrian Rosario, 2006 -- $125,000
RHP Santo Manzanillo, 2005 -- $80,000
C Orton Rodriguez, 2007 -- $65,000
RHP Pedro Lambertus, 2006 -- $55,000
RHP Carlos Villanueva, 2002 -- $50,000 (by San Francisco, acquired as a rookie baller with RHP Glenn Woolard for Wayne Franklin/Leo Estrella)
RHP Juan Sandoval, 2000 -- $42,000 (by Seattle)
RHP Edwin Linares, 2007 -- $40,000
RHP Amaury Rivas, 2005 -- $30,000
RHP Jose Sanchez, 2007 -- $24,000
LHP Rafael Lluberes, 2002 -- $16,000
RHP Rigoberto Almonte, 2008 -- $10,000

Venezuela:

3B Edgar Trejo, 2006 -- $130,000
RHP Francisco Rivero, 2008 -- $90,000
IF Allixon Cequea, 2006 -- $85,000
OF Jose Rangel, 2007 -- $38,000
SS Alcides Escobar, 2003 -- $33,000
C Jonathan Requena, 2006 -- $30,000
OF Freddy Parejo, 2003 -- $16,000
2B/CF Hernan Iribarren, 2002 -- $15,000
LHP Jose Romero, 2005 -- $14,000
C/OF Anderson DeLaRosa, 2003 -- $10,000
RHP Luis Pena, 1999 -- $6,000

To be honest, Peralta and Escobar's "hits" more than make up for the big "misses" listed.

Offline  Re: Offseason Minor League Transaction Thread -- Releases, Retirements

Posted: January 31, 2013, 5:35 PM Post

Global Moderator
From the Brewers via Adam McCalvy:

Brewers announce Minor Leaguers Lee Haydel, Austin Hall and Brandon Williamson have retired.

Brewers released Hitaniel Arias, Jose Dicent, Mike Francisco, Jose Garcia, Elliot Glynn, Eliezer Montano, Franklin Romero, Connor Whalen.

The Francisco, Glynn, and Whalen releases had all been announced prevciously.

During the overnight, we'll briefly detail these players and send them off with a proper notation of good wishes in the future.

Haydel played the last three seasons exclusively in Huntsville. Young man could enter politics down there if he wished.

Posted: February 01, 2013, 8:39 AM Post

Global Moderator
All linked names lead to career stats --

We had noted the releases of LHP's Connor Whalen, Elliot Glynn, and Mike Francisco earlier in this thread, and had discussed OF/RHP Hitaniel Arias and OF/C Jose Garcia just two posts above.

Last June 16th we posted this about just-released Dominican Summer League third baseman Jose Dicent:

The Brewers supplemented their DSL squad with two players who had been released by other organizations prior to this season -- 3B Jose Dicent (Diamondbacks system, 2009-2010, idle in 2011) and catcher Yunior De La Cruz (Indians 2011).

The Brewers have another Dicent from Santo Domingo in their system (RHP Joel, who we'll probably see on next week's Maryvale roster). Jose is 11 months older, so they could very well be brothers, as that is not a common last name in the annals of Domincan baseball, via Baseball Reference.

Jose Dicent, now 22, posted a .362 OBP in 2012, but only six of his 41 hits were for extra bases, thus a .286 SLG.

LHP Eliezer Montano spent all four of his pro seasons (age 17-20) in the Dominican Summer League, although it should be noted he's from Venezuela. He's most noted for being tall and rail-thin (listed at 6'7", 170 in the latest media guide). Montano had his BB/9 rate down to 3.8 in 2011, but it jumped to 4.5 in 2012, and his K rate was never as healthy as one would think for a tall southpaw.

OF Franklin Romero, Jr. was the 20th round pick in the 2009 draft out of a California junior college.

In August of 2011, I wrote:

Wow, what you don't know about a person. Powerful backstory there, and I'm sure other players must have their own personal inspirations. Much respect, Franklin.

after reading this 2011 profile story from Bob Brainerd. Earlier in 2011, Romero was also profiled by Mike Woods of the Post-Crescent. Here's a video profile, too.

Unfortunately, Romero's numbers had not been impressive since his Helena stint. Young man certainly had the passion, we wish him well in the future.

Posted: February 01, 2013, 9:35 AM Post

Global Moderator
The three recent retirees: All linked names lead to career stats --

The last time we saw a detailed profile of OF Lee Haydel was in May 2010:

Still on the run: Haydel making impact in minors

Former teammate Darren Byrd, a non-roster big league camp invite this year, put it well yesterday on Twitter:

Man can't believe my boy Lee Haydel hung up the spikes guy can play wish nothing but the best for him #yerrrrrrr

Haydel, 25, was entering his 7th and final committed year to the Brewers in 2013. The 2006 19th round pick, as noted above, had played the last three full seasons at AA Huntsville, and posted his best AA line (.284 AVG, .346 OBP) in 2012, but in a diminished 3rd/4th OF role. If only more line drives had found the doubles lane in the OF to pick up that SLG percentage even a bit, not that it was a pre-requisite for the quick Haydel.

RHP Brandon Williamson (24 in April) was drafted in the 20th round in 2011 out of Dallas Baptist University.

Williamson should receive a lot of credit from coming back from this head injury (photo) in July 2011 while with Helena.

You know Williamson was in tough shape when the line drive off his head deflected all the way to right field --

Kurtis Muller singles on a line drive to right fielder Max Walla, deflected by pitcher Brandon Williamson. Danny Vicioso scores.

In 20 appearances for Brevard last season (19 starts), and two starts for Huntsville, there weren't a lot of positive numbers to grab on to in Williamson's age 23 campaign, but this was Brandon's call to walk away. He most likely would have still had a spot in the organization if he hadn't.

BYU's Austin Hall spent his age 23 rookie season in Maryvale, so not seeing Helena must have been discouraging, even as a 33rd round pick.

Already 24 (last September), Hall, who is on Twitter, is married and apparently ready to move on with his BYU degree. He can always say he was drafted and played pro ball.

Posted: February 01, 2013, 12:08 PM Post
Will miss Franklin Romero (1230 AB, 27 BB). Always a good bet on the over/under for his first walk of the season.

Posted: March 11, 2013, 4:48 PM Post

Global Moderator
OF Reggie Keen did indeed sign his retirement papers last week.

Link from our 2012 Manatee thread

Posted: March 14, 2013, 2:52 PM Post

Global Moderator
As per Matt Eddy at Baseball America, four releases at the rookie league level:

This one seems odd -- you invest a 9th round pick on a Georgia high school outfielder in 2011, and then, as expected, assign him to Maryvale for his first two pro seasons, where the youngster shows an improved .268/.370/.297 stat line in year two, granted with no power showing at all. Malcolm Dowell (stats) was let go, and it's rare the Brewers let their Top Ten round high school picks, especially those who show an ability to get on base, go so quickly. Let's not speculate, although I guess I just implied to...

Others let go --

Catcher Deivi Mejia, 23 (stats) -- for fun, I tweeted this last week. Ironic.

RHP Yefri Saba (pronounced Jeffrey), 21 (stats) -- coming off his 2nd AZ season after one in the DSL

RHP Juan Francisco, 22 (stats) -- Francisco will have this memory - a seven-inning DSL no-hitter, here's the Link Report archive which then points to the unique box score line.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next  [ 142 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
Test