LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 79 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What is the 2014 Bullpen looking like?

Offline  Re: What is the Bullpen looking like?

Posted: May 22, 2013, 9:48 AM Post

Roster Guru
before the brewers learned that kyle lohse would be missing his saturday start and having mike fiers replace him, the brewers were anticipating that tom gorzelanny would be eligible to come off the disabled list by friday.

the bullpen is currently at 8 pitchers. one wonders if the brewers will wait to activate gorzelanny until after fiers makes his start saturday, and send fiers down, or if figaro or kintzler will be optioned by friday to make room for gorzelanny.

Posted: May 22, 2013, 1:27 PM Post
Global Moderator
my guess is that they will send fiers down unless Lohse goes on the dl...

could send down burgos as well

Offline  Re:

Posted: May 22, 2013, 3:52 PM Post
pogokat said:
my guess is that they will send fiers down unless Lohse goes on the dl...

could send down burgos as well

Fiers is starting for Lohse on Saturday, so he's not going down. Burgos likely won't either, because they'll need him to start Monday with Lohse being skipped. I'd say Figaro is most likely at this point. Although, I suppose Peralta or Burgos could go if they can push Lohse up a few days from his expected Thursday start.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Posted: May 22, 2013, 5:53 PM Post
Global Moderator
i was implying that fiers could go back AFTER his start on Sunday, assuming they just hold Gorzelanny back a few more days

Offline  Re:

Posted: May 22, 2013, 6:23 PM Post
pogokat said:
i was implying that fiers could go back AFTER his start on Sunday, assuming they just hold Gorzelanny back a few more days

That's possible, but then they he needs to be down for 10 days and won't be available if Burgos or Peralta need to be removed from the rotation. I guess they can make that move if they are comfortable with those guys, but I don't get the sense that Burgos' spot is safe. Fiers could be immediately brought back if Lohse ended up going on the DL, so I guess it's an ok move.

Posted: May 23, 2013, 8:42 AM Post
Hard to make the call without inside knowledge, but it seems to me that they should be really cautious about Lohse's elbow. A couple of starts now are relatively meaningless, but we have him under a fairly large contract for the next few seasons, so doing something that causes further damage could really hurt the team. I would think a DL trip for Lohse to rest and further evaluate the elbow might be a good thing.

Of course, this is the team that rushed Ramirez back on the field this spring on a bad knee, so short-term thinking seems to prevail.

Posted: May 24, 2013, 2:18 PM Post

Roster Guru
looks like hiram burgos is the victim with gorzelanny's return. the brewers still remain with a thirteen-man pitching staff, but a starting rotation in flux.

Posted: May 24, 2013, 3:53 PM Post

Roster Guru
alfredo figaro appears to have a spot start in burgos' absence, so the bullpen is back to seven men for the time being.

Posted: May 25, 2013, 10:07 PM Post
Adam McCalvy ‏@AdamMcCalvy 2m
According to @CBEV_3, who appears to be good friends with Donovan Hand, looks like the righty is on his way to Milwaukee.

Donovan Hand recalled to take Henderson's spot.

Posted: August 13, 2013, 12:52 PM Post

Roster Guru
the brewers have an eight man bullpen right now. with aramis ramirez expected to be activated today, one would think that a pitcher is removed from the 25-man roster--and not another position player.

unless they cut john axford, the leading candidates to be optioned seem to be donovan hand, tyler thornburg and rob wooten.

wooten, with a 0.00 era and 0.62 whip, doesn't seem deserving of the demotion, but he is the pitcher with the least amount of major league service time.

Posted: August 13, 2013, 2:47 PM Post
Andrew Gruman ‏@AndrewGruman 57s
#Brewers have activated Aramis Ramirez from the DL. Caleb Gindl optioned to Nashville to make room.

Posted: August 16, 2013, 2:21 PM Post

Roster Guru
i had forgotten that alfredo figaro had a minor league option remaining. the bullpen is back to seven with the recall of of/1b sean halton.

Posted: August 16, 2013, 10:52 PM Post
1 earned run over 18 innings in his last three starts. Yeah sending Thornburg back to the bullpen makes plenty of sense.

Posted: September 13, 2013, 2:31 PM Post
Just saw in the minor league forums that the Brewers picked up Jose De La Torre from the Red Sox. His minor league stats seem pretty good and I imagine he will get strong consideration for a bullpen spot in 2014. I give credit to Melvin for improving the bullpen and continuing to have decent options in the minors. Hand, Wooten, Figaro and Thornburg all pitched effectively this year and he didn't even bring up Sanchez who had another good year in AAA. Of course Kintzler and Henderson are also a couple other cheap options that have pitched well also and they added Blazek in the Axford trade. Olmsted is another option if he remains on the 40 man and can turn it around in 2014. At a time when the Brewers are really squeezed for payroll Melvin made sure he does not have to spend much of anything in the bullpen.

Posted: October 18, 2013, 4:05 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
In this chock-full Calgary Herald feature, Jim Henderson talks about preparation, video work, developing a split-finger pitch or change-up for lefties, relocating from Calgary to Phoenix with his girlfriend (yes, a fellow Canadian), and more.

Posted: October 19, 2013, 5:32 PM Post

Global Moderator
It's not just because he still has friends with the Cardinals, Michael Blazek has to be feeling pretty good about the World Series and his wallet these days (and it's not like 35th round picks, as Blazek was in 2007, see huge signing bonus money).

This chart shows the history of World Series gate receipts and player shares. 2012 shows a $377.002.64 winner's share and a $284,274.50 runnerup share.

Blazek (stats) only appeared in 11 games for the Cardinals, tossing 10.1 innings. Even if the Cardinals only voted Blazek a half-share, that's a pretty chunk of change, potentially more than doubling what Blazek earned in August and September with the Brewers.

Of course, Blazek's trading partner John Axford is going to get paid as well.

Posted: January 09, 2014, 7:00 AM Post

Global Moderator
Congratulations, Jim Henderson!

The Stubby Clapp Award is given by Baseball Canada to "someone who embodies desire, competitiveness, and a never-say-die attitude".

Posted: February 15, 2014, 11:06 AM Post

Global Moderator
Henderson enjoying marquee billing
Calgary product feels good about spot he’s earned with Brewers
By Scott Cruickshank, Calgary Herald

Looks forward to a Jeter matchup...

Posted: March 25, 2014, 10:02 AM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Noted in other threads, but per some Haudricourt tweets, Duke, Wang, & Thornburg have all made the bullpen & 25-man roster

https://twitter.com/Haudricourt/status/ ... 2532774912
https://twitter.com/Haudricourt/status/ ... 3631636481

BA: Have you ever caught? For half a population, you know what he's going through right now.
Rock: Yep, on a bounce, & uh, gets 'im. That shouldn't happen on 4th of July, should it?
BA: No -- speakin' of liberty bell...

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  [ 79 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply