LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next  [ 280 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

40-man roster discussion

Offline  Re: 40-man roster

Posted: October 04, 2013, 8:12 AM Post

Roster Guru
mat gamel claimed by the cubs. taylor green waived.

josh prince and nick bucci outrighted.

the 40-man roster stands at 38.

Posted: October 12, 2013, 12:33 PM Post
Roster is technically still at 42 with FA's and suspended players. With the 3 FAs coming off, that will leave us with 39. Looks like Hunter may be the only addition prior to rule 5 draft, pending any other changes.

Posted: October 14, 2013, 7:33 PM Post
I still wouldn't be surprised if a few more moves were to happen. Olmsted strikes me as a potential goner. Manzanillo was downright lousy -- WHIP over 2.00 in AA including more BB than K there & at high-A. Ditto one or two of the late-season pickups -- easy come, easy go. And I don't see any reason why DLS has any place on our 40-man when he couldn't get his visa stuff (or was it his actual age or identity?) worked out all year long, so that'd be another spot not re-taken.

The wiggle room seems to be with the pitching staff and maybe (please!!!!) Francisco. There are only 6 OFs on the 40-man, all of whom saw decent MLB time this year, only 2 Cs, and not exactly a surplus of IFs once the FAs are gone (esp. considering Gennett & Halton are the only "minor league" IFs on the roster, and they both got decent MLB time last year).

Posted: October 15, 2013, 6:47 AM Post

Roster Guru
MNBrew said:
There are . . . not exactly a surplus of IFs once the FAs are gone (esp. considering Gennett & Halton are the only "minor league" IFs on the roster, and they both got decent MLB time last year).

the cost of outrighting josh prince. i'm not saying that prince deserved to hold on to his 40-man spot, but it did take away depth as prince had been groomed as a super-utility player.

Posted: October 15, 2013, 10:40 AM Post
Prince is still in the organization, if they really need him next year they just put him on the 40 man then. It was a smart idea to remove him from the 40 man because it frees a spot for somebody else and there is little to no chance somebody is going to pick up Prince in the rule 5 draft.

Posted: October 15, 2013, 9:22 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Outlander said:
Prince is still in the organization, if they really need him next year they just put him on the 40 man then. It was a smart idea to remove him from the 40 man because it frees a spot for somebody else and there is little to no chance somebody is going to pick up Prince in the rule 5 draft.

I'd actually think that a player as versatile as Prince is precisely the kind of guy that could get nabbed in the Rule 5 Draft. Not that he's going to catch any eyes with his bat, but he's fast & can play multiple (premium) positions. If you know you have to keep the guy on the 25-man all season after taking him in the Rule 5, might as well be someone who covers multiple positions & can be a pinch-runner.

BA: Have you ever caught? For half a population, you know what he's going through right now.
Rock: Yep, on a bounce, & uh, gets 'im. That shouldn't happen on 4th of July, should it?
BA: No -- speakin' of liberty bell...

Posted: October 15, 2013, 10:35 PM Post

Roster Guru
TooLiveBrew said:
I'd actually think that a player as versatile as Prince is precisely the kind of guy that could get nabbed in the Rule 5 Draft.

prince could've been claimed and optioned in 2014. because he wasn't, i can't see a team claiming him via rule 5.

Posted: October 15, 2013, 11:15 PM Post
You get a player in the Rule V draft because you think he might become something someday. Prince will never be anything more than a 4A super sub. Not worth guaranteeing a season-long roster spot.

Posted: October 15, 2013, 11:22 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
jerichoholicninja said:
You get a player in the Rule V draft because you think he might become something someday. Prince will never be anything more than a 4A super sub. Not worth guaranteeing a season-long roster spot.

I hear you (& djoctagone). And ultimately, I don't think Prince will get picked. But I can certainly see a rebuilding or rebuilding-ish club taking the chance, after anyone with future upside is gone, of getting a utilityman on the cheap for the next 3-6 seasons.

BA: Have you ever caught? For half a population, you know what he's going through right now.
Rock: Yep, on a bounce, & uh, gets 'im. That shouldn't happen on 4th of July, should it?
BA: No -- speakin' of liberty bell...

Posted: October 16, 2013, 12:27 PM Post
The Dodgers are probably now looking to replace Punto ...

Posted: October 16, 2013, 12:59 PM Post
TooLiveBrew said:
jerichoholicninja said:

I hear you (& djoctagone). And ultimately, I don't think Prince will get picked. But I can certainly see a rebuilding or rebuilding-ish club taking the chance, after anyone with future upside is gone, of getting a utilityman on the cheap for the next 3-6 seasons.

Actually I would think that a playoff contending team would maybe want a superutility player more than a rebuilding team. The playoff team may have a couple of single-role (PH, PR) guys on the bench and a Prince could cover more positions. Whereas a rebuilding team is looking to find the needle in the haystack high-upside type of guys that may be good player a year or two down the road - which I don't believe anyone is saying that Prince is that.

Posted: October 17, 2013, 2:44 PM Post
Roderick said:
TooLiveBrew said:
jerichoholicninja said:

Actually I would think that a playoff contending team would maybe want a superutility player more than a rebuilding team. The playoff team may have a couple of single-role (PH, PR) guys on the bench and a Prince could cover more positions. Whereas a rebuilding team is looking to find the needle in the haystack high-upside type of guys that may be good player a year or two down the road - which I don't believe anyone is saying that Prince is that.

From everything we've seen, Josh Prince is an AAA utility player at best, worse with the bat than Alex Gonzalez or Yuni B. Based on his AAA numbers in '13 reverting to career-norm-type levels -- which aren't anything remotely resembling respectable -- his AFL production last year would seem to be nothing more than a well-timed hot streak.

Whether a playoff-contending team or a non-contender could better want or use a super-utility player, based on his career to date, Josh Prince isn't remotely near the caliber of player that MLB teams would seek for that role regardless of how true a super-UT guy he is. There's a world of difference from a Ben Zobrist or even a Nick Punto down to a .235-ish-hitting AAA player like Josh Prince.

Posted: October 23, 2013, 5:23 PM Post

Roster Guru
santo manzanillo, jesus sanchez and josh ravin all outrighted today. the current roster is at 35.

Posted: October 23, 2013, 5:29 PM Post

Roster Guru
for now, it appears that michael olmsted gets to keep his spot on the 40-man roster . . .

Posted: October 23, 2013, 7:51 PM Post
Now Sanchez is just the type of guy a team will take a flyer on in the Rule 5 draft. He put up decent enough numbers at AAA to likely be at least serviceable at the major league level and he's a converted catcher, so there is some perceived upside.

Posted: October 23, 2013, 9:39 PM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
The three players outrighted by the Brewers today (RHP's Santo Manzanillo, Josh Ravin, and Jesus Sanchez) all have over seven years of professional experience. Each will become a minor league free agent five days after the World Series unless they agree to a new minor league deal with the Brewers. Even if Sanchez did not have the service time (he's an eight-year pro), because this is the second time he's been outrighted (late in 2010 by the Phillies), he could have elected free agency.

Their names have been added to the top post within our "Brewer Minor League Free Agents After the 2013 Season" thread.

Guessing we'll learn about at least one re-signing this week, but nothing from the Brewers yet.

Posted: October 24, 2013, 7:37 AM Post
Sanchez would be silly to resign with Milwaukee, he keeps on performing and he gets passed over time after time. Didn't even get a cup of coffee with Milwaukee even though he was on the 40 man and others called up were not.

Posted: October 24, 2013, 7:48 AM Post
I don't understand not keeping Sanchez. You would think he would have had a decent chance at making the team, assuming they don't sign a free agent bullpen guy. So I guess Melvin is going to spend some money on a veteran to replace Gonzalez.

Posted: October 24, 2013, 9:27 AM Post
Outlander said:
Sanchez would be silly to resign with Milwaukee, he keeps on performing and he gets passed over time after time. Didn't even get a cup of coffee with Milwaukee even though he was on the 40 man and others called up were not.

Yeah, I never understood why he never got called up.

Posted: October 24, 2013, 9:49 AM Post
I am shocked that Sanchez never got a call up especially with the Brewers state.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next  [ 280 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply