LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next  [ 699 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

First Base 2014

Offline  Re: First Base 2014

Posted: November 21, 2013, 4:38 PM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
Warning Track Power said:
Player #1: 240 ABs .221/.300/.433, 13 HR, 32 RBI
Player #2: 317 ABs .205/.326/.334, 9 HR, 33 RBI

Player #1 is Juan Francisco
Player #2 is Ike Davis

Why trade for Ike Davis when "Ike Davis" is already on the roster?

The reasoning would be because of Davis's .797 OPS for 2010-2012 playing in an extreme pitchers' park. Contrasted with Francisco's 2013 OPS, which was right in line with the rest of his career.

Not saying I believe or don't believe that Davis will bounce back from '13, but that's the reasoning.

BA: Have you ever caught? For half a population, you know what he's going through right now.
Rock: Yep, on a bounce, & uh, gets 'im. That shouldn't happen on 4th of July, should it?
BA: No -- speakin' of liberty bell...

Posted: November 23, 2013, 11:20 AM Post
I'd be excited to get Ike Davis, as long as we didn't have to give up too much for him. I think a platoon w/ him vs. RHP and Jason Rogers or Sean Halton vs. LHP's could work.

Posted: November 23, 2013, 3:15 PM Post
yoshii8 said:
I'd be excited to get Ike Davis, as long as we didn't have to give up too much for him. I think a platoon w/ him vs. RHP and Jason Rogers or Sean Halton vs. LHP's could work.

I'd agree with this, Davis had a rough year last year but the two years before that he was pretty solid, would be a great buy low candidate in my opinion.

Posted: November 26, 2013, 2:50 PM Post
What would the Brewers have to give to get Mitch Moreland, Texas is open to trading him apparently.

Posted: November 26, 2013, 8:41 PM Post
KCBrewerfan34 said:
What would the Brewers have to give to get Mitch Moreland, Texas is open to trading him apparently.

Texas has been in a trade search for cost controlled SP. So, pretty much no one on the team. Gallardo may be the only one I could see bringing over Moreland. But that's a lost #2 we need to even compete moreso than replacing 1b to compete for 2014. And Moreland isn't worth Gallardo, Texas would have to throw in a top 5 Prospect in their system before I'd consider pulling the trigger.

Honestly, if Texas would take Lohse for Moreland, imo that's is approximate equal value. Because in the AL, I fully expect Lohse to have a 4+ERA making him a #4 in value. Oh no we lose are best Pitcher...But we gain 11mil in payroll this season and next. Something that taking a flier on a different FA pitcher may work. Scott Feldman or Scott Kazmir.
Plan on Gallardo being your #1/Peralta 2, Estrada/that FA signing mixing 3/4 and then mix of Thornburg/Nelson #5.

I'd really enjoy having a Lefty Starter for 1 but a Younger Pitcher in Kazmir...(Say we go 2/22mil on him at age30/31) Maybe he performs enough to deserve a QO when he departs. Or to say the least his age and potential is likely worth more in Trade than Lohse. Meanwhile we fill 1b for 2014/2015 with Moreland at least hoping he's keeping it warm for a resurgent Morris.

Posted: November 26, 2013, 11:23 PM Post
Mitch Moreland is not worth a Gallardo or Lohse, which is what it would likely take. He is entering his age 28 season with a career .758 OPS, playing in a band box even. Career 100 OPS+ says it all. I'd be hesitant to give up Thornburg for him, honestly. His most similar player on Baseball-Reference is Ike Davis. See the Ike Davis comments in this thread for perspective on that value!

Posted: November 26, 2013, 11:44 PM Post
Jeff Baker would be a guy I'd look at, depending on cost. Career .298 BA/.875 OPS vs LHP. In 2013 he hit .314 with a 1.073 OPS vs LHP. A player you can platoon with Morris. He can even play some 2B/3B if needed.

Here's a good article explaining the value of Baker http://www.camdenchat.com/2013/10/21/48 ... jeff-baker

Posted: November 27, 2013, 11:28 AM Post
I like the idea of picking up Jeff Baker, didn't know he was that good vs. LHP.

Online  Re: First Base 2014

Posted: November 27, 2013, 12:11 PM Post
Justin Morneau?

I know his best days are behind him but he still looks like he could very useful to the Brewers as an alternative to Hart. Who would everyone bank on having a better year in 2014; Hart or Morneau?

I would think the prices would be pretty similar too although Morneau has been healthier than Hart the last 2 seasons

Posted: November 27, 2013, 12:59 PM Post
fondybrewfan said:
Justin Morneau?

I know his best days are behind him but he still looks like he could very useful to the Brewers as an alternative to Hart. Who would everyone bank on having a better year in 2014; Hart or Morneau?

I would think the prices would be pretty similar too although Morneau has been healthier than Hart the last 2 seasons

That would be a tough bet but not a slam dunk either way. I like Morneau's game a lot better. More walks, better defense. Morneau is a risk though as he appears to be in a decline phase of his career, with just a 103 OPS+ last year. He may just need a platoon partner though. Last year he had a .819 OPS vs RHP and a .525 vs LHP! Career .292 BA/.893 OPS vs RHP and .250 BA/.708 OPS vs LHP....

I don't know how much I'd want to spend on a guy who can only hit RHP at a .800 OPS clip without a ton of power. His name recognition will drive his price up.

I'd rather sign Jeff Baker and platoon him with Hunter Morris.

(edited for spellin')

Posted: November 27, 2013, 6:48 PM Post
My guess is Morneau having the previous MVP season makes him another 3-6mil in cost over Hart. And I'm suggesting Hart gets 10mil. 1b is weak so there are numerous bidders for both Hart and Morneau and the Brewers stand zero chance of competing unless Melvin opens up his wallet and pays 1 of them 10-13mil next season damn the results.

Posted: December 07, 2013, 12:53 AM Post
http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=10093236
Looks like two of Hart's four interested clubs (Brewers, Red Sox, Rockies, Rays) have filled their vacant 1B with Napoli heading back to Boston and Morneau in Colorado. Gotta think his re-signing is inevitable now.

Posted: December 07, 2013, 1:45 AM Post
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Keep an eye on what happens with Logan Morrison. He's a more cost effective, and possible longer-term option if he plays well enough. He'd be worth a shot if the price is right via trade.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Posted: December 08, 2013, 11:05 AM Post

Minor League Minutia Master
Global Moderator
JohnBriggs12 said:
Michael Morse is kind of intriguing because in a small sample (40PA) he's really raked in Miller Park (.432/.475/.973). He had an injury plagued year in 2013, but if he's healthy, a return to the NL where he's put up good numbers, might be the ticket. He also figures to be a buy low guy.

It's been so quiet on Morse, I'm all for the Brewers going all big and monster (right-handed or not) and let a motivated Morse establish value on a one-year deal blasting balls half-way up towards Bernie's slide. Wouldn't he be a safer (and cheaper) bet than Hart at this point? Morse isn't the first guy to get frustrated and banged up first year at Safeco.

Rotoworld October 16th --

Michael Morse will undergo surgery on his left wrist Wednesday to shave down a bone outgrowth.

"Doctors believe the outgrowth occurred as a result of trauma from an injury back in May. It's a relatively minor procedure, as Morse will be able to resume some activities within four weeks and should be totally healed within 6-8 weeks. An impending free agent, Morse will enter spring training with a clean bill of health."

130 career games at first base, 6'5" target.

Posted: December 08, 2013, 8:30 PM Post
Global Moderator
The more I look at the numbers of supposedly "available" players, the more I think they're available because they stink. If Hart's knees are ok, he still looks like the guy with the most short-term upside.

Posted: December 09, 2013, 10:25 AM Post
Mass Haas said:
JohnBriggs12 said:
Michael Morse is kind of intriguing because in a small sample (40PA) he's really raked in Miller Park (.432/.475/.973). He had an injury plagued year in 2013, but if he's healthy, a return to the NL where he's put up good numbers, might be the ticket. He also figures to be a buy low guy.

It's been so quiet on Morse, I'm all for the Brewers going all big and monster (right-handed or not) and let a motivated Morse establish value on a one-year deal blasting balls half-way up towards Bernie's slide. Wouldn't he be a safer (and cheaper) bet than Hart at this point? Morse isn't the first guy to get frustrated and banged up first year at Safeco.

Rotoworld October 16th --

Michael Morse will undergo surgery on his left wrist Wednesday to shave down a bone outgrowth.

"Doctors believe the outgrowth occurred as a result of trauma from an injury back in May. It's a relatively minor procedure, as Morse will be able to resume some activities within four weeks and should be totally healed within 6-8 weeks. An impending free agent, Morse will enter spring training with a clean bill of health."

130 career games at first base, 6'5" target.

I don't understand why not either. My goodness, he scared me every time he came up against the Brewers in the past. It's not like he's an all or nothing guy either. We're talking about a guy who as recently as 2011 put up .303/.360/.550 with 31 HR and 95 RBI. Yet Melvin is looking at trades for guys like Ike Davis?? One time in particular, I remember Morse taking Axford deep to RF to tie a game late after fouling off a bunch of pitches. Axford just couldn't get it past him and before you knew it, boom, tie game.

Posted: December 09, 2013, 10:26 AM Post
I'd be good w/ either Morse or Hart on a one or two year deal. I think those two are the best bets, I'd also be somewhat intrigued by Morrison or Ike Davis.

Posted: December 09, 2013, 10:28 AM Post
If we give up anything of value for Ike Davis, I will be severely disappointed. I'd rather have Hart for one or 2 years. Morse would be fine, but doesn't he have an injury issue?

Posted: December 09, 2013, 10:32 AM Post
What am I missing about Ike Davis? He's 26, raked in the minors, has a career .768 OPS, including a 32 home run season in 2012. I know he had a rough one last year, but isn't he a potential buy low candidate?

Online  Re: First Base 2014

Posted: December 09, 2013, 2:37 PM Post
Based on qoutes today it sure seems like Hart is Priority #1 at this point. If DM does not get Hart to come back then he is going to be in desperation mode. I just hope that he is not desperate enough to call the Mets. I don't want our season to hinge on Ike Davis who even at this best probably can't hold Hart's jock strap.

I don't know who the Brewers go to if Hart doesn't work out; it probably has to be a trade. I just really hope it isn' t Ike Davis or Juan Francisco. If I want mediocrity I would rather just go with Morris; we already have him and he is cheap.

Hell I would rather move Aram to 1st and find a decent 3rd basemen than have to settle for some bum at 1st.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next  [ 699 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply